Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 pm

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938) 
Site Admin

Post YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)
Click here for the review of You Can't Take it with You (1938)

Best Picture winner at the 1939 Oscar ceremony.

Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)
Mischa Auer, who plays the Russian ballet teacher was having a really good run around then. He's also memorable in Destry Rides Again, My Man Godfrey and the science fiction musical Just Imagine and had something like 150 screen credits. They really should have found a way to get him in Ninotchka. He did eventually appear in a TV version.

Sun May 09, 2010 12:00 pm
Gaffer

Post Frank Capra is overrated
Very corny, hence the term "Capracorn". I'm afraid with the exception of "It's a Wonderful Life", and maybe a couple of other films, Frank Capra's films just doesn't hold up very well. Two stars out of four. This film is well intentioned, but it feels patronizing to modern viewers.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 am
James

There is a reason that this film sits at 992 in the top 100 movies list.

I watched it on Netflix streaming and enjoyed it as nostalgia and an early james stewart effort and would agree with your 3 stars

However, you do wonder about the Academy that year when you see the competition

"YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Boys Town", "The Citadel", "Four Daughters", "Grand Illusion", "Jezebel", "Pygmalion", "Test Pilot"

7/10
Rob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 am
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:

"YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Boys Town", "The Citadel", "Four Daughters", "Grand Illusion", "Jezebel", "Pygmalion", "Test Pilot"

7/10
Rob

One of the more interesting aspects of reviewing some of the older lists of Oscar nominees and winners is seeing how many of the losers ended up being regarded as lasting classics while the winners are, if not forgotten, at least seen as marginal.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
One of the more interesting aspects of reviewing some of the older lists of Oscar nominees and winners is seeing how many of the losers ended up being regarded as lasting classics while the winners are, if not forgotten, at least seen as marginal.

James,

I believe you've pointed out that modern day Oscars are useless in most respects (predictor of artistic quality, use as a promotional tool, etc.), as Holywood politics are the primary driving force behind who wins and who loses.

I'm willing to bet that if you mention Crash today most people wouldn't know what movie you were talking about, whereas they'd probably be more apt to recognize Brokeback Mountain or even Munich. Note, I'm not trying to argue that any of these productions is artistically superior to the other, just pointing out that the Academy Awards awarding a production of questionable merit seemed to do little to raise it's long term profile.

I was wondering, therefore, if you believe that this has always been the case? Is a film "winning" an Oscar, just as little indication of the artistic merits of a production today as it was at the beginning?

Just curious.
-Jeremy

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 pm
Best film Oscar voting is too often driven by non artistic motivations
Just look at the winners from the last ten years in the new poll.

Sure, watching winners will guarantee a decent movie, but unfortunately it too often fails to get you into the realms of great movies.

Rob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

7/10
Rob

James

Good point. As a compulsive completist I need to get round to what you're doing.

It woud be ultra cool (if we had time) to watch all the nominees from each year. You'd get a great insight into "the times"

Rob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 pm
Producer

Robert Holloway wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

7/10
Rob

James

Good point. As a compulsive completist I need to get round to what you're doing.

It woud be ultra cool (if we had time) to watch all the nominees from each year. You'd get a great insight into "the times"

Rob

I've seen Boy's Town, You Can't Take it With You, Alexander's Ragtime Band, Pygmalion, The Grand Illusion and Jezebel, which is also my order of increasing preference. The last three are great films, and The Grand Illusion is generally considered the greatest, so I'm in the minority in prefering Jezebel. I felt Illusion goes on too long after what should be the climactic scene, although it's still a remarkable film. Pygmalion has one of the greatest screenplays of all time by some obscure Nobel Prize winner.

Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 am