Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:50 am

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934) 
Site Admin

Post IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)
Click here for the review of It Happened One Night (1934)

Best Picture winner at the 1935 Oscar ceremony.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)
Walls of Jericho? So you saying that WWE Superstar Chris Jericho is in a lot of old movies beating everyone up and putting them in the Walls of Jericho, not releasing it until they tap out cause if that's the case, I got a lot of old movies to watch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course real life can't be that interesting...or clear cut. I'm a bit confused on the Walls of Jericho, is it another name for the L-shaped blanket or is it those partitions to separate beds like hospitals do?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:10 pm
James, not one to nitpick but in your review you say Carole Lombard will marry Grant. I think you mean Gable.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 am
I can't help but wonder if James' typo of "Grant" instead of "Gable" is a Freudian slip. When I recommended this film to a friend and asked what he thought of Gable, the first thing he said was "Good, but a lot like Cary Grant." As for Colbert, she's pretty good, but I wouldn't call her incredible. After reading James' listing of the other big names that were considered, I can't help but picture what Myrna Loy would have been like in the role...oh well. The movie itself is very entertaining and oozes historical importance. This was the first big comedy to celebrate the working class, which must be a big part of why America fell in love with it. Capra must have loved it too, as all the rest of his movies are basically about the same thing; working class, small town man triumphant. I think the "Walls of Jericho" joke is a bit overused, and Gable's attitude toward Colbert comes across as a bit sexist and demeaning (he calls her brat a few too many times, but I guess the whole upper class resentment justifies it). One thing to be said about Capra is that he is the epitome of substance over style. Compared to his peers, particularly Hawks, Wyler, and even Lubitsch, his camera work and editing at times seem almost amateur. Still, a highly enjoyable and influential film that influenced everything from Philadelphia Story to Roman Holiday to Shrek.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 am
Site Admin

stlcardinalfan wrote:
James, not one to nitpick but in your review you say Carole Lombard will marry Grant. I think you mean Gable.

Thanks for catching that. It has been fixed.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Nice review, James. I watched this for the first time about 2 weeks ago and felt much the same as you. We discussed the film a bit over in the Great Movies section if you care to take a gander.

Patrick, The Walls of Jericho is just a blanket Gable hangs between the two beds in the room, but it serves the same purpose as one of those hospital partitions. By the end of the movie its turned into a funny little sexual joke.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 am
Patrick wrote:
Walls of Jericho? So you saying that WWE Superstar Chris Jericho is in a lot of old movies beating everyone up and putting them in the Walls of Jericho, not releasing it until they tap out cause if that's the case, I got a lot of old movies to watch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course real life can't be that interesting...or clear cut. I'm a bit confused on the Walls of Jericho, is it another name for the L-shaped blanket or is it those partitions to separate beds like hospitals do?

Apparently in real life, Chris Jericho prefers to beat the crap out of people inside of a taxi cab.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 pm
Producer

One of my favorite films. It has a lot of sexual chemistry between the two leads and it is still very funny after all these years. Alan Hale Sr. has a funny bit as a singing driver you just want to brain.

I could see Carole Lombard making this and it being quite good, though not as good as this. The sexual chemistry would be quite different and it would be more screwball.

Trouble in Paradise is another comedy around the time that also is very sexy (Marshall with Miriam Hopkins, and especially with Kay Francis), and comes close to being a screwball.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:44 pm
Great movie, loved Walls of Jericho scene...
Rob

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 am
Gaffer

The writing on this movie is really sharp. It shows the influence of the "serious" writers and playwrights starting to work in Hollywood. I give it 3 stars out of 4. It has nice chemistry between the leads, witty dialogue and an entertaining story that still holds up very well. My main problem is that I don't like the cinematography, it looks rather amateurish at times. I would recommend Preston Sturges, for anyone who likes witty romantic comedies. Preston Sturges was probably the best at this genre, mostly because his work remains fresh by modern standards. Some of his favorites are "The Lady Eve", "Sullivan's Travels", "Unfaithfully Yours", and "Hail The Conquering Hero." I would avoid "The Palm Beach Story", since it's a "dated" movie.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11 am