Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 am

WALL STREET (1987) 
Post Re: WALL STREET (1987)
ck100 wrote:
Here is what James has to say about "The Abyss" at the moment:

"It's one of the '89 movies I'll be reviewing (some time in the middle of August). The theatrical release was an embarrassment but the director's cut is quite good."

He also said this about the movie from a review he did for for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut):

"To be fair, most special editions exist primarily for creative reasons (although the studios backing them dream of $$$), and often result in a vastly improved product. James Cameron's The Abyss is a completely different movie - confusing and dissatisfying in the shortened theatrical version; sublime and brilliant in the director's cut."

'Quite good' vs. 'Sublime and brilliant'. I'll go with the more recent comment and stick with my three star prediction.

As for director's cut comments, why do I think I'll be seeing the words 'Kingdom' and 'Heaven' in the review at least once... :)

Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:33 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
ck100 wrote:
Here is what James has to say about "The Abyss" at the moment:

"It's one of the '89 movies I'll be reviewing (some time in the middle of August). The theatrical release was an embarrassment but the director's cut is quite good."

He also said this about the movie from a review he did for for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut):

"To be fair, most special editions exist primarily for creative reasons (although the studios backing them dream of $$$), and often result in a vastly improved product. James Cameron's The Abyss is a completely different movie - confusing and dissatisfying in the shortened theatrical version; sublime and brilliant in the director's cut."

'Quite good' vs. 'Sublime and brilliant'. I'll go with the more recent comment and stick with my three star prediction.

As for director's cut comments, why do I think I'll be seeing the words 'Kingdom' and 'Heaven' in the review at least once... :)

I'm guessing for his review he may review it in the same way he reviewed "Apocalypse Now". He might just review both versions in one big review.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I have to admit, I'm really stoked to see what James will pick for 1989. 'Casualties Of War', 'War Of The Roses', 'Drugstore Cowboy', 'The Killer', all worthy (and popular) candidates . I just hope it's not 'Driving Miss Daisy'. I have a feeling about two people (being generous) want to read about that borefest, but I also feel that it has as good of a chance of being reviewed as 'Out Of Africa' did due to it's Best Picture win.

A few I'm guessing he won't pick but are still amazing films: 'City Of Sadness', 'Monsieur Hire', 'Time Of The Gypsies', 'Sweetie', and perhaps one of the saddest films of the 80's, 'Black Rain (Kuroi Ame)'. NOT featuring Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia, this is a haunting flashback to the nuclear era from a Japanese perspective. It's just as effective at shedding back the glory of war and it's effect on civilians as 'Grave Of The Fireflies' and 'Barefoot Gen' (albeit it is live-action), but is in some ways even more bleak and has the benefit of being filmed in rich black and white, which adds to the film's emotional glow.

James has already revealed somewhere that one of his '89 picks is The Abyss. Of course, being James' biggest fan, you probably already know that, but hey.

Well, one definite mark against me is that I didn't remember the gardening incident :P I didn't even know he practiced botany!

'The Abyss' is a pretty sure-fire 3-star film for me (using James' rating system).

I don't think anybody has a great, undying passion for the film (despite it being competently made).

I do :-)
Rob

Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 pm
Site Admin

ardendulou wrote:
Your political affiliation looks to be influencing your logic. Just saying.

Sorry... I don't have one. (Political affiliation, that is.) The references to the late '80s and late '00s represent stock market crashes (the latter being more severe but also more protracted). True, there was also one in 2001, but I don't count that in the same category because of the influence 9/11 played in what happened. Remember: the movie in question is WALL STREET.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

corpen11 wrote:
The number weakness in this film is Charlie Sheen, he tries but i just couldn't buy it. Now, if it was James Spader in the Charlie Sheen role, maybe the film could have more better. Spader could make you believe he's fallen to the dark side.

I actually thought Spader did a pretty poor job. I agree that there are holes in Sheen's performance but I'm glad Spader wasn't on screen more than he was. Now the Spader of the mid-'90s, that's another matter altogether.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I have to admit, I'm really stoked to see what James will pick for 1989. 'Casualties Of War', 'War Of The Roses', 'Drugstore Cowboy', 'The Killer', all worthy (and popular) candidates . I just hope it's not 'Driving Miss Daisy'. I have a feeling about two people (being generous) want to read about that borefest, but I also feel that it has as good of a chance of being reviewed as 'Out Of Africa' did due to it's Best Picture win.

A few I'm guessing he won't pick but are still amazing films: 'City Of Sadness', 'Monsieur Hire', 'Time Of The Gypsies', 'Sweetie', and perhaps one of the saddest films of the 80's, 'Black Rain (Kuroi Ame)'. NOT featuring Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia, this is a haunting flashback to the nuclear era from a Japanese perspective. It's just as effective at shedding back the glory of war and it's effect on civilians as 'Grave Of The Fireflies' and 'Barefoot Gen' (albeit it is live-action), but is in some ways even more bleak and has the benefit of being filmed in rich black and white, which adds to the film's emotional glow.

Subject to change (although probably not):

1988 -

BIG (around July 20)
BULL DURHAM (around July 25)
DANGEROUS LIAISONS (around July 30)
GORILLAS IN THE MIST (around August 5) - if anything is going to change, this will be it

1989 -
THE ABYSS (around August 12)
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (around August 19)
WAR OF THE ROSES (around August 26)

THE ABYSS is going to be a difficult review to write because I have to consider both versions of the film, although the star rating will be assigned for the director's cut, which is the one most readily available today (and, to be frank, I'm not sure why anyone would watch the theatrical cut unless it was out of curiosity).

There will be an '80s wrap column at the end of August. The next video review will be WINGS, probably on October 3.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
No Rain Man review? I'm pretty shocked!

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:23 am
I'm glad that I just watched Wall Street. Not because I love the movie (it was alright), but because I got to read through this thread. It has everything, including gardening related jokes.

aameen wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
If you want to see the definitive movie about Greed.

"Greed" is the 64th best film ever made. It's four hours long, silent and only available on YouTube

The last 40 minutes are arguably the greatest scenes ever filmed!

It's hard work, but very rewarding

Rob

Is Greed the kind of movie that can be enjoyed on the installment plan? 4 hours of YouTube and their tiny tiny screen sounds like an alarming headache waiting to happen.

oh how you guys suffer before me.... :D

here you go dudes. thought i'd help. also, the words "only available on YouTube" were just...insulting. i assume you guys have no trouble with piracy - watching a movie on youtube counts.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
http://www.mininova.org/det/2055417

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PS- any governmental guys out there - im out of your jurisdiction. HAHAHAH!!!!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
PPS- just kidding ...please dont hurt me. :(

Look at those three quoted comments, one after the other. They encapsulate some of the stuff I remember best about this place. Rob desperately trying to get people involved in the classics. Major's distinctive prose (abridged in this case, but seriously, who writes like that?). Aameen being...well...it's aameen (who writes like that?). Yup, nostalgia after only 6 weeks.

When this forum was good, it was great, no?

Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:34 pm