Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm

ROBOCOP 
Site Admin

Post ROBOCOP
Click here for the review of Robocop

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: ROBOCOP
Well, that was certainly unexpected.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 pm
Site Admin

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Well, that was certainly unexpected.

I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other. I waffled between **1/2 and ***. I didn't mind sitting in the theater for two hours but I could just as easily have lived without it. It's a competently made film and those who haven't seen the original will be fine with it.

All things considered, I had a better time with ABOUT LAST NIGHT.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Damn! I knew I should've guessed a higher rating.

Ah well at any rate i'm happy you liked it, and now i'm even more excited to see this.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 pm
Director

If I didn't know any better, I would have strongly suspected James had got a fat cheque from MGM for that review :lol: .

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I am almost disappointed that it's not terrible. That would have confirmed my prejudices better.

Might actually have to go and see it.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:29 am
Second Unit Director

It seems you could start a Paul Verhoeven reboot film festival fairly soon with Total Recall,Robocop and Starship Troopers getting reboots. I am thinking a reboot of Showgirls with Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga is next and a new Basic Instinct with Scarlett Johanssen.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:45 am
Producer

oakenshield32 wrote:
It seems you could start a Paul Verhoeven reboot film festival fairly soon with Total Recall,Robocop and Starship Troopers getting reboots. I am thinking a reboot of Showgirls with Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga is next and a new Basic Instinct with Scarlett Johanssen.

Showgirls with Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga? Vomits!

Basic Instinct with Scarlett Johansson? NOW you've got me! :D

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

:mrgreen:

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:

Showgirls with Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga? Vomits!

I like Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga, so i'm actually A-OK with that idea. :mrgreen:

So Starship Troopers is getting a remake as well eh? Seems a bit too soon considering the film isn't even 20 years old, but i'm sure it'll be interesting anyways.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I like Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga, so i'm actually A-OK with that idea. :mrgreen:

So Starship Troopers is getting a remake as well eh? Seems a bit too soon considering the film isn't even 20 years old, but i'm sure it'll be interesting anyways.

The release of the new Robocop along with talk of Starship Troopers had me thinking about when it is considered "legitimate" to work on a remake. IMHO, a remake is only warranted if one or more of the following conditions hold:

(1) If the original film is obscure or otherwise not well known (this would also include remaking non-English-language or otherwise non-US films).

(2) If the original film had problems (whether with its script, acting, direction) that can be rectified with a remake.

(3) If the filmmakers have creative or fresh ideas that they wish to explore in a remake.

(4) If the filmmakers wish to completely reboot a "franchise" film series (e.g. what Christopher Nolan did with Batman)

If none of the above conditions apply, then in my mind a remake is unnecessary. What I wonder is if the latest Robocop fits any of the above conditions.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Auteur

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The release of the new Robocop along with talk of Starship Troopers had me thinking about when it is considered "legitimate" to work on a remake. IMHO, a remake is only warranted if one or more of the following conditions hold:

(1) If the original film is obscure or otherwise not well known (this would also include remaking non-English-language or otherwise non-US films).

(2) If the original film had problems (whether with its script, acting, direction) that can be rectified with a remake.

(3) If the filmmakers have creative or fresh ideas that they wish to explore in a remake.

(4) If the filmmakers wish to completely reboot a "franchise" film series (e.g. what Christopher Nolan did with Batman)

If none of the above conditions apply, then in my mind a remake is unnecessary. What I wonder is if the latest Robocop fits any of the above conditions.

According to JB's review, the remake of Robocop has a different take on Murphy's condition, instead of his family being informed that he's dead, they know he's alive and he has to try and re-adjust to life with him, he also still has emotions in spite of being a robot, so he has to try and cope with that as well. so it sounds like it fits (3) well enough.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:45 pm
Gaffer

The release of RoboCop (2014) was reason to venture back to the forum only to find my account had been lost but JB took care of that quickly. For that, I tip my hat.

I agree with JB on the new spin on the saga of Alex Murphy. On Letterboxd I had the same dilemma of giving it a 2.5 or 3 before opting for the solid 3. As a devout fan of the original, I was not pleased with the reboot news. The director and cast softened me to the idea over time. Last month I snagged the recent Blu-ray release of RoboCop at Best Buy for a mere $8. It included a voucher, up to a $7.50 value, for RoboCop '14. With a free ticket in hand I decided to give it a whirl.

For what it was it was enjoyable and entertaining. Keaton and Oldman owned and I appreciated the overt criticism of the rising surveillance state world wide. The film stays true to the original concept while offering a new take. Even as a safe PG-13 venture, it works. It's not on par with the original but how could it be?

3/5

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 pm
Second Unit Director

Let's do what Roger Ebert had suggested by remaking movies that were bad in the first place. This way we can possibly turn something bad into good. I mean there have been bad films that had good intentions and ideas which unfortunately turned out bad. No need to keep unnecessarily remaking films which were good in the first place.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
Let's do what Roger Ebert had suggested by remaking movies that were bad in the first place. This way we can possibly turn something bad into good. I mean there have been bad films that had good intentions and ideas which unfortunately turned out bad. No need to keep unnecessarily remaking films which were good in the first place.

I thought the original Oldboy was pretty mediocre, the remake certainly fixed that in my eyes.

I don't think a film has to be "bad" to justify a remake. The Total Recall remake wasn't as good as the original, but it was pretty good in it's own right as it told a different story from the original as it was slightly more true to the original source material.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 pm
Director

ck100 wrote:

By that logic, a Showgirls remake is just what the doctor ordered! 8-)

Also, I think it's possible to make a series of fun sci-fi action movies from L. Ron Hubbard's novel Battlefield Earth. There's nowhere to go but up after how the Travolta version turned out.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:55 pm
Producer

There is also the Gus Van Sant rationale: bang out a remake before anybody else can, make it as pointless as possible, thereby minimizing the chances that someone will try a much more egregious remake in the future.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Also, I think it's possible to make a series of fun sci-fi action movies from L. Ron Hubbard's novel Battlefield Earth. There's nowhere to go but up after how the Travolta version turned out.

I found Battlefield Earth semi-enjoyable, it was certainly better then many of those awful foreign remakes like Shutter and One Missed Call.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I found Battlefield Earth semi-enjoyable, it was certainly better then many of those awful foreign remakes like Shutter and One Missed Call.

I don't understand the comparison. What does Battlefield Earth and Shutter and One Missed Call have in common besides all 3 being bad movies? Mind you, I would agree that Shutter and One Missed Call are worse movies (though Battlefield Earth is still pretty bad), but I'm not sure why you choose to compare them instead of another sci-fi flick that would be been more comparable.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 pm
Auteur

Because I can't really think of that many sci-fi films I don't like, and even the ones I don't like(I.E. Prometheus) I don't totally hate either.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 pm