Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 pm

DIANA 
Site Admin

Post DIANA
Click here for the review of Diana

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: DIANA
You mean 16 years after her death instead of 13 right?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm
Site Admin

patrick wrote:
You mean 16 years after her death instead of 13 right?

It's not 2010?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Until this movie showed up on the Upcoming Reviews list, I wasn't even aware someone made a movie about Princess Diana, let alone one coming out this year. Considering the "name" actress involved and the subject matter, that's a bad sign.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 pm
Producer

I love Naomi Watts and was really hoping that this would be the role that finally wins her an Oscar. Unfortunately, that turns out not to be the case.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:14 am
Second Unit Director

While I haven't run any detailed analyses, at least anecdotally there seems to be a trend where many German filmmakers, after making such spectacular films in their home countries, often subsequently produce inferior English-language films.

Consider the following:

(1) Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck followed up with his acclaimed The Lives of Others (which, if I'm not mistaken, won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film back in 2006) with The Tourist, which received mostly negative reviews.

(2) Wolfgang Petersen, who was nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Das Boot, while enjoying a successful Hollywood career, never made another film which approached the quality of that earlier film.

(3) Tom Tykwer, who created the exhilarating Run Lola Run and the brilliant Princess and the Warrior, subsequently produced the ambitious but flawed films Heaven and (much later) Cloud Atlas.

Now it appears Oliver Hirschbiegel has followed that trend, from the brilliant Downfall to Diana.

Last edited by StatGuy2000 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 am
Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
While I haven't ran any detailed analyses, at least anecdotally there seems to be a trend where many German filmmakers, after making such spectacular films in their home countries, often subsequently produce inferior English-language films.

Consider the following:

(1) Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck followed up with his acclaimed The Lives of Others (which, if I'm not mistaken, won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film back in 2006) with The Tourist, which received mostly negative reviews.

(2) Wolfgang Petersen, who was nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Das Boot, while enjoying a successful Hollywood career, never made another film which approached the quality of that earlier film.

(3) Tom Tykwer, who created the exhilarating Run Lola Run and the brilliant Princess and the Warrior, subsequently produced the ambitious but flawed films Heaven and (much later) Cloud Atlas.

Now it appears Oliver Hirschbiegel has followed that trend, from the brilliant Downfall to Diana.

That's something that happens with a lot of foreign filmmakers. Consider:

John Woo comes to Hollywood and Hollywood tries to sanitize him, turn him into another Tony Scott. He makes thr okay Hard Target and Borken Arrow. But of his Hollywood films, the only one that stands with the best of what he made in Hong Kong is Face/Off.

Tsui Hark comes to Hollywood and makes two Jean Claude Van Damme movies. Back to Hong Kong and making quality stuff.

Paul Verhoeven started out strong in Hollywood (Flesh + Blood, Robocop, Total Recall) then went downhill fast before returning to Holland and strong material.

Lasse Hallstrom did some good work in Hollywood (What's Eating GIlbert Grape). But lately has become the go ro guy for Nicholas Sparks adaptations.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:46 pm
Auteur

How did Verheoven go "downhill"? Starship Troopers was a very good film, Hollow Man while admittedly not as good as his past films was far from terrible.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:31 pm
Gaffer

A truly interesting Diana movie would be an honest accurate look not only at the real Diana but the whole phenomenon around her. Throw in the foppish Prince but also her mental instability too. You can have the time where she threw herself down the stairs with scissors as a pivotal scene. Tack on a shot of the paparazzi and everybody but the occupants being blamed for a selfinflicted crash and the Diana headlines burying the Mother Teresa stories as the denouement. An indictment of the shallow public who cared and lionized a woman purely because she was pretty and involved with famous people would serve as a nice overall theme.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:51 pm
Auteur

Jarwulf wrote:
A truly interesting Diana movie would be an honest accurate look not only at the real Diana but the whole phenomenon around her. Throw in the foppish Prince but also her mental instability too. You can have the time where she threw herself down the stairs with scissors as a pivotal scene. Tack on a shot of the paparazzi and everybody but the occupants being blamed for a selfinflicted crash and the Diana headlines burying the Mother Teresa stories as the denouement. An indictment of the shallow public who cared and lionized a woman purely because she was pretty and involved with famous people would serve as a nice overall theme.

I'm perfectly OK with Diana burying Mother Theresa in the storylines, as the latter was nowhere near as much of a saint as most religious people would like you to believe. She did some pretty horrifying things, Christopher Hitchens book on her goes into great detail, you will be sickened and angry by what you read.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:01 pm
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
Jarwulf wrote:

I'm perfectly OK with Diana burying Mother Theresa in the storylines, as the latter was nowhere near as much of a saint as most religious people would like you to believe. She did some pretty horrifying things, Christopher Hitchens book on her goes into great detail, you will be sickened and angry by what you read.

I'm aware of criticism of Mother Teresa but don't really understand how she could be characterized as 'sickening or horrifying' from the info I've been given so far. Most if it seems to center around armchair multinational medical directors criticizing the way she ran her care, chinese made armchair political activists criticizing her relationships, and atheists befuddled about how much focus she gave to save souls they don't believe in. Was she perfect or even close to it?...no but I would probably put her more toward a person sometimes failing but trying hard to do the right thing than 'sickening and horrifying'. Which is more than we could say about a princess who cuts herself and tosses her body around for attention from what we know.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:47 pm
Auteur

Jarwulf wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jarwulf wrote:

I'm aware of criticism of Mother Teresa but don't really understand how she could be characterized as 'sickening or horrifying' from the info I've been given so far. Most if it seems to center around armchair multinational medical directors criticizing the way she ran her care, chinese made armchair political activists criticizing her relationships, and atheists befuddled about how much focus she gave to save souls they don't believe in. Was she perfect or even close to it?...no but I would probably put her more toward a person sometimes failing but trying hard to do the right thing than 'sickening and horrifying'. Which is more than we could say about a princess who cuts herself and tosses her body around for attention from what we know.
That's not what i'm refering to, she was sickening in that she glorified suffering and as a result she forced people to live in poor conditions to promote "suffering" as a good thing, and patients of hers would be given woefully inadequate treatment(I.E. cancer victims would not be given anything other then tylenol) she cared more about lining her own pockets and spreading Dogma then she did about "saving souls". So i'm sorry but for me Diana was a much better person then Mother Theresa(which isn't even her real name BTW)ever was, she wasn't trying to "do the right thing" by any stretch of the imagination.

This episode of Penn And Teller BS goes into more detail about why she's anything but "Holier then thou" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6voAW_Go5Y I dare you not to be outraged(the episode also takes down the Dalai Lama a few pegs)

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 pm
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:

That's not what i'm refering to, she was sickening in that she glorified suffering and as a result she forced people to live in poor conditions to promote "suffering" as a good thing, and patients of hers would be given woefully inadequate treatment(I.E. cancer victims would not be given anything other then tylenol) she cared more about lining her own pockets and spreading Dogma then she did about "saving souls". So i'm sorry but for me Diana was a much better person then Mother Theresa(which isn't even her real name BTW)ever was, she wasn't trying to "do the right thing" by any stretch of the imagination.

This episode of Penn And Teller BS goes into more detail about why she's anything but "Holier then thou" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6voAW_Go5Y I dare you not to be outraged(the episode also takes down the Dalai Lama a few pegs)

I previously watched that episode and rewatched a bit of it and I must have missed the part where she kidnaps people off the street again or the mansion she lined her pockets for. Most of the rest of the criticism seems to fall within the categories I mentioned. I haven't read Hitchen's actual book but the summaries I've found are similar. I also agree that her medical care doesn't look like the Mayo clinic or anywhere close but it was a possibly misguided attempt at helping people who possibly would not have otherwise been helped. Would we want the 'medical care' she gave? If everything is as they say probably not and thats probably the worst thing she's accused of. But we should keep in mind that even your life would sound pretty nasty if we relied solely on your worst enemy to write your biography.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 pm
Director

When I first heard about this movie, I KNEW it would just end up being another hollow biopic about a female British figure, à la "The Iron Lady." :|

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 am