Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 am

THE WORLD'S END 
Site Admin

Post THE WORLD'S END
Click here for the review of The World's End

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: THE WORLD'S END
I saw this tonight, and agree that it goes off the rails at the end (they definitely wrote themselves into a corner; the end is a classic "how the hell do we end this" scenario), but this film is funnier than most comedies out there now. I'd say it's worth a watch.

And BTW, it's spelled Springsteen.

Last edited by Sexual Chocolate on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm
Cinematographer

I just got back from seeing this, and while I agree with most of what JB said, I can't agree that the ending was completely off-kilter, given that the tone of the film veered steeply to the left when the robots were first discovered. All in all, a good film and a fitting part of the overall trilogy by Mr Pegg and Mr Frost.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:17 pm
Gaffer

I enjoyed Hot Fuzz a lot, but the Trailers for this movie made it seem really stupid. :roll:

But seeing the Rotten Tomatoes score and James' solid review (and Ragnarok and SC's thoughts), I think I'll catch it this weekend.

Did you all find it funnier than Hot Fuzz?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm
Auteur

I don't know if I like the idea of the film getting really dramatic and dark at the end like other reviews have said, it dosen't sound like it's going to fit in well with the rest of the film, and the trailers haven't exactly made me laugh(and yes I do "get" British humor, I did enjoy Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead, but stuff like A Fish Called Wanda just dosen't do it for me at all) so i'm not too sure about whether this is worth paying to see in theaters.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:25 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't know if I like the idea of the film getting really dramatic and dark at the end like other reviews have said, it dosen't sound like it's going to fit in well with the rest of the film, and the trailers haven't exactly made me laugh(and yes I do "get" British humor, I did enjoy Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead, but stuff like A Fish Called Wanda just dosen't do it for me at all) so i'm not too sure about whether this is worth paying to see in theaters.

It's worth it, I think. It is funny and goofy for the most part. And stuff blows up too.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 pm
Cinematographer

I'm usually not bothered much by such things, but there should be a *spoiler* warning attached to this review. I haven't seen the film yet, and I could have gone without the reference to a particular cameo appearance.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I'll definitely be checking this out sometime this weekend. Looks funny, and perhaps the kind of thing my friends and I would do in our 40s, minus the aliens of course.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

It's worth it, I think. It is funny and goofy for the most part. And stuff blows up too.

Ok then, i'll check it out once it hits dvd.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 pm
Site Admin

Blonde Almond wrote:
I'm usually not bothered much by such things, but there should be a *spoiler* warning attached to this review. I haven't seen the film yet, and I could have gone without the reference to a particular cameo appearance.

It's probably more than a cameo since it's more than a one-scene thing. However, Brosnan's first appearance is within the film's first ten minutes so it's not as if this is a big reveal at the end. He's simply a member of the cast who chose not to have his name in the credits. It's not like the Sean Connery cameo in Costner's ROBIN HOOD.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

moviefan_ek wrote:
I enjoyed Hot Fuzz a lot, but the Trailers for this movie made it seem really stupid. :roll:

But seeing the Rotten Tomatoes score and James' solid review (and Ragnarok and SC's thoughts), I think I'll catch it this weekend.

Did you all find it funnier than Hot Fuzz?

Hot Fuzz was still a better film, IMO, but this one would rank right there with Shaun of the Dead in the trilogy for me.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:23 am
Director

I saw it today and had a lot of fun as well. I "get" British humor, at least as far as this movie is concerned. It's driven by rhythmic dialogue, quotable lines, and occasional slapstick (loved how Pegg keeps trying to finish his drinks while everyone else is fighting). And yes, there's a nice message in there regarding not living in the past so much. I agree about the climax; the aliens' plans are so convoluted that it requires a lot, and I mean a lot of explaining via Bill Nighy's disembodied voice. And some of the fight scenes go on for an awfully long time. But that epilogue, described by one character as "the ultimate hangover," is really clever.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:14 pm
Director

Awesome movie. I will say that Hot Fuzz contains more laughs. But this one has a Warriors/Attack the Block all-nighter vibe that's fun for the same reason that many other movies of this type are fun. The concept is masterfully handled. Simon Pegg's performance is simply career-making; a tour de force. Great to see Brosnan, not to mention his female co-star from Die Another Day. Pegg and Frost brought a lot of energy to Paul on their own, but Wright gets them in touch with their dark side here, which is really effective. Really I would say one main thing puts this below Hot Fuzz:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The epilogue. When they're sitting on the hill watching the town burn, that should have been the last shot. The stuff that comes after that is frankly just dumb. It doesn't make sense and belongs in a different movie. So I think Wright just needed to stop himself at the very end. Also, the lecture from the "lamp" inside the silo at the end was a bit overdone.

Easily one of the best films this year, and should definitely go down as the best "weird movie" of 2013.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 am
Second Unit Director

So wish I weren't working this weekend. The only way I'd miss this one, especially since I didn't see the other two in theaters, would have been if James had panned it. Can't wait until Tuesday!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 am
Second Unit Director

Just saw The World's End and dammit, Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg have done it again with robots! What begins as a pathetic(in-universe, not calling the movie pathetic) attempt at reattempting the glory days of the past turns into a body-snatcher movie with lots of wrestling moves thrown in. Seriously, Simon Pegg Rock Bottoms a Blank's head off and Nick Frost puts another in the Torture Rack before turning into a back breaker and then finishing it off with an elbow drop! Granted, it does falter in the end but it has a good epilogue which lends itself to an actual sequel that I want to see. There's more to the story that needs to be told.

In regards to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, it's in-between. I like Hot Fuzz better sense it appeals to my sensibilities more than the other two but it's still worth a watch...immediately.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 pm
Producer

patrick wrote:
Just saw The World's End and dammit, Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg have done it again with robots! What begins as a pathetic(in-universe, not calling the movie pathetic) attempt at reattempting the glory days of the past turns into a body-snatcher movie with lots of wrestling moves thrown in. Seriously, Simon Pegg Rock Bottoms a Blank's head off and Nick Frost puts another in the Torture Rack before turning into a back breaker and then finishing it off with an elbow drop! Granted, it does falter in the end but it has a good epilogue which lends itself to an actual sequel that I want to see. There's more to the story that needs to be told.

In regards to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, it's in-between. I like Hot Fuzz better sense it appeals to my sensibilities more than the other two but it's still worth a watch...immediately.

I'm not that familiar with wrestling, so I missed that, but now that you mention it...that's fun. I was wondering what was going on there. It was familiar, but I couldn't place it. I obviously need to see this movie again.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 am
Gaffer

I really liked this film. Thought it was a great end to the trilogy and I enjoyed the elements of social commentary present, along with the usual wit and humor associated with the Pegg and Frost tag team who really delivered yet again.

I'll definitely be buying this one on DVD when it comes out.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Saw it, loved it, pleased as punch I got to see it in theaters. While I probably liked the other two films a bit more (there's nothing quite as uproarious as the first zombie fight in Shaun of the Dead nor the scene with the Council in Hot Fuzz), the acting is better overall this time. For one thing, Rosamund Pike acts circles around the main females of the other films, but she's much more experienced and accomplished so that's not surprising. Every one of the main quintet delivers a winning performance and it's especially cool to see Pegg and Frost's development as actors, and Marsan playing a non-heavy, and the cameos from Brosnan and David Bradley (Filch!) are fun. It's also interesting that Frost and Pegg's characters are initially at odds instead of being buddy-buddy like they were in the other two films. Probably my favorite element was how the sci-fi story dovetailed with the thematic story of the main characters, especially Pegg's. Also enjoyable as always were the satirical elements, such as the corporatization and public space art in small towns, which like similar elements in the previous two movies are interestingly relatable to those of us across the pond. The ending is a little anticlimactic (rather reminiscent of The Matrix Reloaded) but it works well enough. I love the last scene though. Even though the films aren't really a trilogy (the Cornetto appearance was well-done though, since it's comically well-timed) they do constitute one of the most successful comedic film series I've ever seen.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:03 pm
Second Unit Director

In the review there was a comparison between World's End and This is the End. The similarities melt away as the World's End is wildly frantic but never really funny while This is the End has some real laughs in it. This is a real clunker next to the exceptional Shaun of the Dead. The first 30 minutes is okay but once the bodysnatcher/robot angle began the movie quickly slid into tedium and repetitiveness with those unimaginative fight scenes going on forever. Even Simon Pegg's charm and wild overacting can't inject any interest into the story and his climatic confrontation at the end falls completely flat even annoying. Too bad as I was hoping for another Shaun.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:55 am
Director

Quote:
his climatic confrontation at the end falls completely flat even annoying. Too bad as I was hoping for another Shaun.

The Bill Nighy thing is definitely overdone. It's annoying because it's something they could have fixed in post-production.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 am