Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm

RUSH 
Site Admin

Post RUSH
Click here for the review of Rush

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Post Re: RUSH
See? I told you all there was a movie called "Rush" :P

They filmed some of it where I live, was quite an experience to watch.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm
Gaffer

That is a nervous face right there (mine, not his!)

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 pm
Director

I'm a F1 fan, so I'm interested in this. Hopefully it'll be good, since there haven't been many good movies about auto racing.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 pm
Auteur

I'm only semi-interested in racing, so this a wait for DVD film at best for me.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 pm
Director

Iroinically, racing is probably one of those sports that probably works better cinematically than in real-life. I've tried watching a NASCAR race or two and just couldn't get into it. I know there's plenty of strategy involved for the drivers and teams, but for the viewer, it's just far too repetitive.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 pm
Gaffer

I suppose the performance of Alexandra Maria Lara (Downfall, Youth without Youth, Control) in this wasn't much to write home about? JamesB had nothing to say about her..

There is another movie about the world of Formula 1 that is a must see. It's called Senna: The Man. The Legend. It came out in 2011 and JamesB never reviewed it (which I'm still sore about!) but it is a wonderful docu/movie telling the story of Brazilian Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna. There is no original footage, backed by an exciting soundtrack it's built entirely from archival footage from TV shows, contemporary interviews and races including some fantastic in car footage. It got an Oscar nomination and should have won. You don't have to be a motor racing fan to really enjoy it as it's less about the racing and more about the human story. Wonderful movie-making.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:

That is a great photo. Is there a story on how you managed to get the picture? Did you get to chat with Hemsworth for a bit?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm
Second Unit Director

What are some race car movies that are considered to be the best of cinema?

The only race car movies I can think of are unworthy ones like Driven, Days of Thunder, Bobby Deerfield, etc.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Second Unit Director

I've always heard Ron Howard being called a "Spielberg wannabe". Do you guys think that's an accurate description of him?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:50 pm
Gaffer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

That is a great photo. Is there a story on how you managed to get the picture? Did you get to chat with Hemsworth for a bit?

They filmed the pit-stop, grandstand and starting grid bits on a disused runway at Blackbushe Airstrip in Yateley, Hampshire. My understanding is that they let local residents come along and watch as part of the deal of them being allowed to film (it's part of a nature reserve).
A group of girls sitting behind me were making a total racket about Hemsworth and even had to be told by the stage manager to be quiet and put their 'We love you Chris' banner away while they filmed. When they had a break, Chris came over to the stands to say hello to us all. Pretty damn nice of him! (Bruhl I think was sulking that nobody was screaming at him so he stayed behind).
By the time I got to speak to him, he had little time left. We tried getting a photo but the only other person around didnt do it right. Chris then asked if i was staying to watch for the rest of the day (they wrapped up filming at 6pm). He said if I did, he'd come back and see me again.
He kept his promise after all :) real decent bloke.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:31 pm
Director

ck100 wrote:
I've always heard Ron Howard being called a "Spielberg wannabe". Do you guys think that's an accurate description of him?

That description can fit him and at least a dozen other directors of that generation. For me, Howard has always been less interesting than the others.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Dragonbeard wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

They filmed the pit-stop, grandstand and starting grid bits on a disused runway at Blackbushe Airstrip in Yateley, Hampshire. My understanding is that they let local residents come along and watch as part of the deal of them being allowed to film (it's part of a nature reserve).
A group of girls sitting behind me were making a total racket about Hemsworth and even had to be told by the stage manager to be quiet and put their 'We love you Chris' banner away while they filmed. When they had a break, Chris came over to the stands to say hello to us all. Pretty damn nice of him! (Bruhl I think was sulking that nobody was screaming at him so he stayed behind).
By the time I got to speak to him, he had little time left. We tried getting a photo but the only other person around didnt do it right. Chris then asked if i was staying to watch for the rest of the day (they wrapped up filming at 6pm). He said if I did, he'd come back and see me again.

Great story. He does sound like a great guy to make time to talk to people and then come back to take a photo.

Quote:

The only race car movies I can think of are unworthy ones like Driven, Days of Thunder, Bobby Deerfield, etc.

There is the star studded movie from 1966 called Grand Prix with Jame Garner. It is not bad and the racing footage is really good. Maybe the best racing movie has to be Death Race 2000.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:19 pm
Gaffer

The plot here sounds vaguely similar to Days of Thunder, which despite being denigrated up-thread I have fond memories of from my childhood. Also I agree with an above poster that movie racing is far more interesting than watching real racing.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

There is the star studded movie from 1966 called Grand Prix with Jame Garner. It is not bad and the racing footage is really good. Maybe the best racing movie has to be Death Race 2000.

'Grand Prix' does indeed have good racing sequences. Director John Frankenheimer had a knack for those, as he proved again in the car chase movie/ spy thriller 'Ronin'.

I don't remember the movie very well, but I think that 1971's 'Le Mans' about the 24 hour race isn't so bad. It stars Steve McQueen.

For some people, Daniel Brühl may also be familiar from his breakthrough role in the delightful 'Good Bye, Lenin'

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 am
Second Unit Director

Dragonbeard wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

First time getting a pic with a celeb?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

ck100 wrote:

He's the anti-Semitic version, at best.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Well, I guess that shut the conversation down fast :)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am
Second Unit Director

mrguinness wrote:
ck100 wrote:

He's the anti-Semitic version, at best.

On what basis are you claiming that Ron Howard is anti-Semitic? This is the first I've ever heard anyone make this accusation about him.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm
Second Unit Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
On what basis are you claiming that Ron Howard is anti-Semitic? This is the first I've ever heard anyone make this accusation about him.

Seriously? Look it up. Well known accusation, and I think it holds some water, even though he, and his asshole screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, vehemently deny it.

Cinderella Man? Max Baer was portrayed VERY poorly, a villain where one didn't exist. He was an extremely compassionate man who's life was traumatized by the beating he gave Frankie Campbell.

A Beautiful Mind? John Nash believed, according to his biography, that... "the root of all evil, as far as my personal life is concerned, are Jews..."

There are other examples supposedly...

FWIW, I still love those movies, even though I am culturally Jewish as well, but I do take them with a grain of salt and I have no reverence for Howard or Goldsman

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:50 pm