Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm

CARRIE (2013) 
Gaffer

Post Re: CARRIE (2013)
Vexer wrote:
It's been the "norm" for many decades now, have you ever heard of the Video Nasties? Those were a series of films banned in the UK for being too disturbing or graphic.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Video Nasties that was enacted by the UK in the late 70s and 80s. There were many films particularly imports from Europe and abroad that had questionable subject matter (e.g.: Salo, Cannibal Holocaust) and were listed as such - it became quite notorious. I don't know if they have abolished the VN legislation since a lot of gore films like High Tension, Hostel, Saw, Hatchet and others are on order.

Getting back on topic, I my opinion - I think outcast avengers and superheros don't belong in the same category. I don't condone bullying of any kind with the advent of Facebook and such, but wanting to wipe out a myriad of people all for a horrific prank can be justified.

Also, what the flip is up with all of these remakes - Omen, Posseidon, Titanic, Stepford Wives etc, etc, etc? My, Hollywood has really be running out of ideas or originality here. Carrie just had it's third reboot, what would make it anymore different that the original (which I like more).

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm
Auteur

CinemaCin_XII wrote:
Vexer wrote:
It's been the "norm" for many decades now, have you ever heard of the Video Nasties? Those were a series of films banned in the UK for being too disturbing or graphic.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Video Nasties that was enacted by the UK in the late 70s and 80s. There were many films particularly imports from Europe and abroad that had questionable subject matter (e.g.: Salo, Cannibal Holocaust) and were listed as such - it became quite notorious. I don't know if they have abolished the VN legislation since a lot of gore films like High Tension, Hostel, Saw, Hatchet and others are on order.

Getting back on topic, I my opinion - I think outcast avengers and superheros don't belong in the same category. I don't condone bullying of any kind with the advent of Facebook and such, but wanting to wipe out a myriad of people all for a horrific prank can be justified.

Also, what the flip is up with all of these remakes - Omen, Posseidon, Titanic, Stepford Wives etc, etc, etc? My, Hollywood has really be running out of ideas or originality here. Carrie just had it's third reboot, what would make it anymore different that the original (which I like more).

As others have said, it's different in that Carrie is portrayed more sympathetically. Also remakes aren't all that new, Hollywood has been rapidly remaking films since the 70s, personally I don't care whether a film is "original" or not as long as it's entertaining, being a remake dosen't automatically make a movie bad. Another remake i'm looking forward to this year is Oldboy.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 pm
Gaffer

Wow, I can't believe people are serious about the Star Wars issue... are these the same people who say that the Covenant in Halo were actually the good guys because they embraced diversity?

Chloe Mortez has now been in TWO utterly pointless remakes. Hope it doesn't become a habit ;)

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 pm
Auteur

Dragonbeard wrote:
Wow, I can't believe people are serious about the Star Wars issue... are these the same people who say that the Covenant in Halo were actually the good guys because they embraced diversity?

Chloe Mortez has now been in TWO utterly pointless remakes. Hope it doesn't become a habit ;)

People actually said that about the Covenant? Seriously? :? Now I truly have heard everything :lol:

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm
Gaffer

Pretty much. The implication was that Master Chief and his merry humans were actually the bad guys because the Covenant were spreading a positive message of racial diversity. Apparently religion fueled genocide didn't come into it...

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm
Director

I don't have a problem with any amount of death and destruction in a movie, but its value is always a question of tone. Violence on a large scale is nothing to laugh at, so I appreciate movies that handle it with a degree of sobriety. 9/11 is certainly not an issue for me. It's been 12 years already, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let my taste in disaster movies be marred by that for the rest of my life.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
I don't have a problem with any amount of death and destruction in a movie, but its value is always a question of tone. Violence on a large scale is nothing to laugh at, so I appreciate movies that handle it with a degree of sobriety. 9/11 is certainly not an issue for me. It's been 12 years already, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let my taste in disaster movies be marred by that for the rest of my life.

Same here, I was really young when 9/11 happened and I hadn't seen many movies at that point in my life, so it never really warped my view like it did for some critics.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:24 pm
Assistant Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
The Star Wars analogy is interesting but technically it is a war movie inside a fantasy as you will note the word war in the title. Death Star is strictly a military vessel with military combatants onboard and no children(not even on Star Trek are there daycares on their ships). Are you not a legitimate military target if you enlist to work in a well defended naval yard(with no civilian populaces anywhere nearby or destroyed in the impending attack) building a war machine that will kill billions and the enemy tries to stop you. Not the same as the mass murder of defenseless teenagers killed by someone running amok with a mental WMD.

You are assuming the Death Star was being built and maintained by paid military contractors or were even Empire sympathisers. Given the scope of The Death Star that to me seems highly unlikely. Much more likely it was being built by slaves - that would certainly fit in with how the "evil" Empire would operate. This notion is actually suggested when Vader, unhappy with the Death Star's progress, ominously says "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them". While we don't definitively know one way or the other, IF it were being built by slaves is the The Death Star's destruction still a heroic act? In any case, imo the size of The Death Star would always necessitate a sizeable civilian population who would have had no idea that they were in danger of being killed by a single torpedo...
As for Carrie, I can see how she could, perhaps unintentionally(?), wipe out a whole school as her rage/powers spiralled out of control (could she have even contained her powers at that point?) Certainly imo confronting the audience with "collateral damage" is something we don't see very often, and I personally welcome the discussion.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm