Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:57 am

THE CONJURING 
Site Admin

Post THE CONJURING
Click here for the review of The Conjuring

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Post Re: THE CONJURING
Being disappointed with the new Evil Dead film, I'm looking very forward to checking this one out. Genuinely good quality horrors are extremely hard to come by.
Oh, and two for two in Competitions so far ;-).

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Being disappointed with the new Evil Dead film, I'm looking very forward to checking this one out. Genuinely good quality horrors are extremely hard to come by.

Same here. ;)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:16 pm
Auteur

I enjoyed Evil Dead personally, but this film just looks awful and having hated Insidious, I don't expect this film to be any better, so i'm gonna pass on this one.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm
Assistant Director

Sean wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Same here. ;)

Pffft, only after I gave you the heads up and you changed the rules ;-).

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm
Assistant Director

My man!!!

I saw an advance screening of this on Tuesday night and I agree with every word JB wrote. Early on, we got our typical horror movie audience shtick of people giggling at moments that aren't intended to be funny and going "oh no he di'nt!" (along with other catchphrases, good God it hurt to write that last one). But a funny thing happened late in the movie when the inevitable terror escalated: everyone shut up. That's a credit to how well Wan milks the tension and has us caring about the people involved.

Vexer, I know you tend to go the other way from the critical community a lot, but see this one. It's so worth it, and I'm not even into most horror movies. I just heard enough good things about this one to give it a go and was certainly not disappointed.

Unfortunately, we're probably headed for another Saw/Paranormal Inactivity-esque franchise here......

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
My man!!!

I saw an advance screening of this on Tuesday night and I agree with every word JB wrote. Early on, we got our typical horror movie audience shtick of people giggling at moments that aren't intended to be funny and going "oh no he di'nt!" (along with other catchphrases, good God it hurt to write that last one). But a funny thing happened late in the movie when the inevitable terror escalated: everyone shut up. That's a credit to how well Wan milks the tension and has us caring about the people involved.

Vexer, I know you tend to go the other way from the critical community a lot, but see this one. It's so worth it, and I'm not even into most horror movies. I just heard enough good things about this one to give it a go and was certainly not disappointed.

Unfortunately, we're probably headed for another Saw/Paranormal Inactivity-esque franchise here......

Sorry but i'm not going to see a film just because someone tells me too. Conjuring just looks bland and mediocre to me so i've got no urge to pay 10.50 to see it. Maybe i'll check it out once it hits VOD if i'm bored enough, but I will not pay to see it in theaters, i'm saving my money for RED 2 and R.I.P.D. this week.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:53 am
Director

I knew it! The reviews are too good (and comparably said this was a huge step up from Insidious, which I still really liked) for this not be the 3.5 that JB mentioned.

The R rating slightly gives me pause, because with Insidious I knew going in that no matter how intense it got, the violence would not stray too far from the PG-13 imagery (I love horror, but seeing long sequences of gore in theaters is not my ideal horror theatrical experiences. At home it's OK). But the general reviews indicate that it still relies on atmosphere and tension like Insidious, so I guess I just have to brace myself a bit more than the last James Wan.

With each subsequent film's praise on how James Wan matures as a director, now I feel the Fast and Furious franchise is in good hand.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 am
Director

Quote:
Sorry but i'm not going to see a film just because someone tells me too. Conjuring just looks bland and mediocre to me so i've got no urge to pay 10.50 to see it. Maybe i'll check it out once it hits VOD if i'm bored enough, but I will not pay to see it in theaters, i'm saving my money for RED 2 and R.I.P.D. this week.

There have been so many times (about every 18 months or so) that critics rally around a horror film essentially calling it "the new scary movie that you have to see." Each time it seems to be built around the same motivation of jaded boredom, seeking a quick thrill. That's the way I'd sum up Paranormal Activity. What a massive case of blue balls that was. Maybe this time is different, but it gets to the point where it's like the boy who cried wolf. Will one of these movies some day be a good piece of art in addition to its scares, or will the wolf always turn out to be a lapdog?

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:47 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
I knew it! The reviews are too good (and comparably said this was a huge step up from Insidious, which I still really liked) for this not be the 3.5 that JB mentioned.

The R rating slightly gives me pause, because with Insidious I knew going in that no matter how intense it got, the violence would not stray too far from the PG-13 imagery (I love horror, but seeing long sequences of gore in theaters is not my ideal horror theatrical experiences. At home it's OK). But the general reviews indicate that it still relies on atmosphere and tension like Insidious, so I guess I just have to brace myself a bit more than the last James Wan.

With each subsequent film's praise on how James Wan matures as a director, now I feel the Fast and Furious franchise is in good hand.

So far Death Sentence is the only Wan film i've actually liked, so I certainly hope he does the F&F franchise justice.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

There have been so many times (about every 18 months or so) that critics rally around a horror film essentially calling it "the new scary movie that you have to see." Each time it seems to be built around the same motivation of jaded boredom, seeking a quick thrill. That's the way I'd sum up Paranormal Activity. What a massive case of blue balls that was. Maybe this time is different, but it gets to the point where it's like the boy who cried wolf. Will one of these movies some day be a good piece of art in addition to its scares, or will the wolf always turn out to be a lapdog?

From another one of your threads:

"For me, this is has been a terrific year at the movies. I've only seen one bad film so far, and that was The Great Gatsby.

I'll be buying these blurays:

Bullet to the Head
Good Day to Die Hard
Pain and Gain
Fast Furious 6
Man of Steel
Byzantium
Pawnshop Chronicles

Probably won't guy these, but really enjoyed them:

Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Grown Ups 2"

You call Bullet to the Head, Fast and Furious 6, Die Hard 5, Burt Wonderstone, and Grown Ups 2 "good pieces of art"? I guarantee if you ask Adam Sandler why he made Grown Ups 2, he would say, "because I had fun hanging with my friends and they paid us a lot of money".

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

From another one of your threads:

"For me, this is has been a terrific year at the movies. I've only seen one bad film so far, and that was The Great Gatsby.

I'll be buying these blurays:

Bullet to the Head
Good Day to Die Hard
Pain and Gain
Fast Furious 6
Man of Steel
Byzantium
Pawnshop Chronicles

Probably won't guy these, but really enjoyed them:

Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Grown Ups 2"

You call Bullet to the Head, Fast and Furious 6, Die Hard 5, Burt Wonderstone, and Grown Ups 2 "good pieces of art"? I guarantee if you ask Adam Sandler why he made Grown Ups 2, he would say, "because I had fun hanging with my friends and they paid us a lot of money".

Agreed, I enjoyed those films, but I wouldn't call them "art"

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer's inane responses aside....

Having disliked the original Saw quite a bit, especially the ending, is there any way I would like this film?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 am
Director

Quote:
I guarantee if you ask Adam Sandler why he made Grown Ups 2, he would say, "because I had fun hanging with my friends and they paid us a lot of money".

Maybe what I'm describing isn't "art." I don't know. But at least it's something other than "you'll have a good time if you see this." The bold is indeed why Sandler made it, I assume, but that's what allows me to engage the movie. I'm interested in a filmmaker who does what he does in broad strokes, letting the minute details speak for themselves. It's more holistic that way.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm
Gaffer

I haven't seen THE CONJURING yet, but based on JB's review, I think I will. I have never been a fan of horror movies because often times what others tell me is scary just makes me laugh. Can anyone give me some titles of quality horror films? I'm not talking about SILENCE OF THE LAMBS type movies (I thought it was excellent, but not what I would call scary). The only "true" horror film that I really enjoyed was THE DESCENT, if that helps. Thanks.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I thought I was completely through with ghost stories, but this one looks surprisingly good. I liked the cast and you know, what? Looking at Wan's filmography, it's not bad actually. The first Saw was, a part from part 2, the only good one in that franchise. Dead Silence was actually OKAY. And Death Sentence was a blast. Great performance from Kevin Bacon in that movie, and, unlike The Brave One, another vigilante revenge thriller that came out around the same time, Death Sentence actually had the balls to end the way it should have. Where as the Brave One lacked the courage of it's own convictions and gave us a bullshit ending. And while I didn't care for the first half of Insidious (just another lame Paranormal Activity ripoff) the movie got considerably better in the second half. More surreal, much more creepy.

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to this. I just hope this doesn't end up being another Paranormal Activity. A horror film that gets great reviews but bored the hell out of me.

Insidious Chapter 2 also looks surprisingly good.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:42 am
Second Unit Director

Just got back and I'll just say this.

To me, it's the movie to beat this year.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:30 pm
Gaffer

Just saw it. Very well put together. Insidious worked partly by Wan trying every trick in the book to scare us--with some of it working, some of it not. Like Insidious, the Conjuring is not innovative, but rather represents an extremely well put together horror film taking advantage of every horror trick imaginable to create an effectively creepy/suspenseful experience. There is very little that doesn't work in the Conjuring, in great contrast to Insidious, demonstrating like JB said that Wan has evolved a lot as a director.

I wonder where Wan can go as a horror director after this, because after this movie I struggle to think where the haunted house genre could go. After this movie the genre has pretty much been tapped out of very traditional scare technique you can imagine.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As an aside, I think this movie had huge potential to incorporate a powerful twist ending. Either with us finding out the mother or her daughter was dead the whole time, or that the demonologists had ulterior reasons for dong what they do. Such an ending was very possible given the large cast and multiple points of possession. It would have been more powerful than the "based on a true story" angle that forces the ending to be a bit of a letdown.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 am
Producer

Ryan Underdahl wrote:
I haven't seen THE CONJURING yet, but based on JB's review, I think I will. I have never been a fan of horror movies because often times what others tell me is scary just makes me laugh. Can anyone give me some titles of quality horror films? I'm not talking about SILENCE OF THE LAMBS type movies (I thought it was excellent, but not what I would call scary). The only "true" horror film that I really enjoyed was THE DESCENT, if that helps. Thanks.

I liked this one. I'm more into the creep-them-out kind of film such as "Dead of Night," "The Innocents, "The Haunting", "Curse of the Demon" and "The Leopard Man" (and the Descent) than all-out gore. The Conjuring has that, but it also has all hell breaking loose for a good part of the film. Wan has a gift for this, and I liked the cast.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It didn't like this as much as James did. I felt Sinister was a better recent horror movie in every way (in fact I'd swap the ratings around for the films). I found Conjuring to be a little hokey a lot of the time. Some of the dialogue and acting was off sometimes. Like the whole "God brought us together" line. Awful. I couldn't help laughing AT the movie at some things.

Another problem, and it's probably true of Sinister as well, is that like a lot of horror movies it's not the kind that you could probably watch more than once. I like horror movies that you can watch more than once like the Sixth Sense or The Exorcist.

I do wish filmmakers who make horror movies would try keeping the backstory as simple as possible. Both Sinister and this have some convoluted explanation for the villains that I think hurts the films. They're dead and angry, or hungry and want to eat, or they're psychopathic and have an urge to kill. Isn't that enough?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 am