Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:14 pm

THIS IS THE END 
Site Admin

Post THIS IS THE END
Click here for the review of This is the End

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: THIS IS THE END
One of the funniest comedies of the past few years for sure. Customarily, I hate the style of comedy associated with Rogen and Apatow (who had nothing to do with this movie), but this is definitely one of the former's best films to date.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm
Director

Saw this today and laughed a lot throughout. And there's a line in there where one character accuses another of being a hipster and asks, "Do you hate universally loved movies?" Gave me a good laugh based on the material from these boards. ;)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Saw this today and laughed a lot throughout. And there's a line in there where one character accuses another of being a hipster and asks, "Do you hate universally loved movies?" Gave me a good laugh based on the material from these boards. ;)

Interesting, anyway the film looks funny, though i'll wait until DVD for the inevitable "unrated" version.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Just got back and boy did I laugh...I'll just leave the best line here:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Seth Rogen: Time to do all of the drugs.
Jay Barachel or whatever: I don't want to. *takes drink out of some can*
Seth Rogen: You should've thought of that before you drank that can full of ectasy.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:33 pm
Producer

This is the End: In his directoral debut, Seth Rogen gets his Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back taken care of in one movie. The Apocalypse comes and a large group of actors (all playing themselves) are left behind at James Franco's house party. Franco's front yard is apparently the portal to Hell. Left behind in the house are Franco, Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill and Craig Robinson, and, eventually and unfortunately, Danny McBride, which presumably means they're in Hell already. If this is the apocalypse and these are the characters you're trapped with, you'd better run for the hills.

I found it amusing in the same way as the Kevin Smith movies (but better directed), sometimes really funny. It's always nice to see Emma Watson swinging an axe. You'd think that when the Rapture comes, Watson would be one of those taken to Heaven, but there is that witchcraft thing and also being in a movie with Seth Rogen and Danny McBride, so she has to wait. Good special effects considering the movie probably didn't have much of a budget. Pacing's off here and there. It has the same pleasant, sloppy feel as Rogen's screen persona.

I have no idea how to rate this movie.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:05 pm
Producer

Meh. I found the movie rather so-so. It's extremely hit or miss. And even when it hits, I never laughed out loud. I chuckled here and there and smiled here and there. I did enjoy the Pineapple Express 2 scene. Several of the cameos were amusing.

Obviously the heart of the movie is suppose to be friendship between Seth and Jay. But it never really worked for me because for most of the movie, I found it hard to care about them. Seth was just okay. Not one of his better performances but better than, say, Green Hornet (which does get a funny mention). And Jay I found to be too whiny for most of the movie. The two best performances from the movie were from James Franco and Craig Robinson. Franco's last scene was fairly amusing.

Ultimately, I found the movie to be too scattershot, too uneven to care much about. It definitely has it's moments and would probably be better off for home viewing, rather at redbox or Netflix.

6/10

2.5 stars out of 4

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Second Unit Director

This is one of the most self indulgent,narcissistic,self referential and one joke exercise of a movie I have seen in a while. Yet it is also one of the most amusing(not really hilarious) and weirdly compelling viewing experiences in watching how men-children would handle the apocalypse. The best line is where Jonah Hill saying that Rogen's friendship with Barcuhel was part of his former crappy life as a Canadian.

I liked the fact I had not idea where this movie was going or what the heck was going to happen next. I can't say that about many movies recently.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:47 pm
Gaffer

We were going to see Man of Steel, but after its mediocre reviews we went and saw this instead. I am a huge Pineapple Express fan, one of the funniest movies in the last decade, but This is the End is merely good.

There are some absolutely hilarious bits, the stuff about gluten in the beginning or the often mentioned Hermoine rape discussion and followup. Between those are some things worthy of a chuckle, usually digs at Canada or one of the actors. However, the pacing falls apart whenever it stops to talk about Jay and Seth's shaky friendship. It falls into the trap of many comedies where the plot takes over at the end and it stops being funny. It doesn't help that the ending was cheesy and forced and the musical finale was trite and unoriginal.

3/4 stars from me.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 am
Second Unit Director

Anyone put off by the ending as much as I was? I wish I could say it's because I'm too old, but...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Who the fuck wants to experience the Backstreet Boys in heaven? Can't even heaven have some quality entertainment? All I kept thinking about was how much I would rather have watched Howard Stern, Fred Norris and those guys perform their rendition of Everybody rather than that mess. Since when do a gang of pot smokers hip hop to the fucking back street boys? THIS is why Apatow and gang will never be THAT funny!

Also, how the hell did all the party-goers get into Heaven? It was funny that they all weren't even aware of the apocalypse, and then they all magically end up in heaven to make the boys happy?

The movie was mostly funny enough, but...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:16 pm
Second Unit Director

mrguinness wrote:
Anyone put off by the ending as much as I was? I wish I could say it's because I'm too old, but...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Who the fuck wants to experience the Backstreet Boys in heaven? Can't even heaven have some quality entertainment? All I kept thinking about was how much I would rather have watched Howard Stern, Fred Norris and those guys perform their rendition of Everybody rather than that mess. Since when do a gang of pot smokers hip hop to the fucking back street boys? THIS is why Apatow and gang will never be THAT funny!

Also, how the hell did all the party-goers get into Heaven? It was funny that they all weren't even aware of the apocalypse, and then they all magically end up in heaven to make the boys happy?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I do! The Backstreet Boys are by far the best boy band that ever walked the Earth!

And none of the above is sarcasm I really do believe that.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm
Second Unit Director

mrguinness wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It made me think of the joke on the Simpsons when Bart complains that music in heaven sucks as Satan has all the good musicians. I was kind of confused by that too as I didn't really know what the joke was with having them play in heaven. The other part I found strange that heaven looks like a house party in James Franco's house and there is no children,middle aged or seniors invited into heaven. I guess if heaven for some people is a scented garden with nubile girls everywhere then this must be the 24hr party people heaven with no ugly or old people allowed.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 am
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:
mrguinness wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It made me think of the joke on the Simpsons when Bart complains that music in heaven sucks as Satan has all the good musicians. I was kind of confused by that too as I didn't really know what the joke was with having them play in heaven. The other part I found strange that heaven looks like a house party in James Franco's house and there is no children,middle aged or seniors invited into heaven. I guess if heaven for some people is a scented garden with nubile girls everywhere then this must be the 24hr party people heaven with no ugly or old people allowed.

Agreed with both you guys:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I just plain didn't get the joke. Why would that be the first thing Jay Baruchel thinks of when he gets to heaven? It's not like the movie had worked that joke in somewhere earlier in the film. The Backstreet Boys playing an old hit isn't funny! It's lame. I guess it was supposed to be pure randomness, but it was really cringeworthy in how bad it ended up being.

That said, the movie is still pretty funny and mostly good. It hits its peak in the middle, and once the stars venture outside of Franco's house, the movie loses whatever steam it's built up.

The movie does a really nice job of poking fun at its stars towards the beginning, and the premise is something that gives them a lot of leeway to do exactly that (the whole thing feels like a movie made from someone saying, "Hollywood is so self-involved, that the apocalypse wouldn't even make movie stars pay attention to the real world"), but by then end it's turned into a rather uninspired apocalyptic comedy.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 am
Second Unit Director

Jay Baruchel explains the movie's ending.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Here is a interview with Jay Baruchel where he talks about how the Backstreet Boys came to be the surprise at the end of the movie. I can't say that I get it even after reading his explanation

http://www.slashfilm.com/jay-baruchel-talks-about-this-is-the-ends-big-surprise-appearance/

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 am
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Here is a interview with Jay Baruchel where he talks about how the Backstreet Boys came to be the surprise at the end of the movie. I can't say that I get it even after reading his explanation

http://www.slashfilm.com/jay-baruchel-talks-about-this-is-the-ends-big-surprise-appearance/

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It sounds like they just liked them as kids and wanted to put them in the movie. Fair enough, but it still isn't funny and it's really lame while watching it.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It sounds like they just liked them as kids and wanted to put them in the movie. Fair enough, but it still isn't funny and it's really lame while watching it.

it kinda proves my point

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 am
Auteur

mrguinness wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

it kinda proves my point

[Reveal] Spoiler:
To me it would've made more sense to have a famous rock band rather then a band whose demographic is roughly 95% female

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm
Second Unit Director

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I've had the Backstreet Boys stuck in my head for the past twenty-four hours. It was kind of a lame ending, but not so much because of the Backstreet Boys. It was more because filmmakers think it's an acceptable thing to end a movie with its characters dancing for no reason. My high school film classmates did shit like that. It's not worth applause.

That being said, I appreciated that I didn't know how the film was going to end before it started. It's an above average comedy for parts of its running length. Them making a sequel to Pineapple Express was great.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:57 pm