Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:23 am

JACK REACHER 
Site Admin

Post JACK REACHER
Click here for the review of Jack Reacher

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: JACK REACHER
I have to disagree here, I thought Crusie and Pike were both very well cast and I was never bored with the film, I never actually read the book so I don't care how faithful the film is to the source material, I found it compelling even if it was a bit talky at times, and that car chase was actually one of the best i've seen ina film in a long while. I'll admit it does suffer from mood whiplash at times, as for a serious crime/thriller it sure does have quite a few laughs, everyone in my audience was laughing hard at the bathroom fight scene.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:09 pm
Director

About what I figured. It would be nice to see Tom Cruise do some real acting for a change. Because he can act.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Recently, it seems that Cruise's most interesting characters are the ones that are really out there, like Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder and Stacy Jaxx in Rock of Ages.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:18 pm

ShrunkenHead wrote:
Recently, it seems that Cruise's most interesting characters are the ones that are really out there, like Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder and Stacy Jaxx in Rock of Ages.

Maybe Cruise should be the headliner for Tarantino's next film. After all, if Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio could do it, why not Cruise, since he can be every bit as talented as those two actors when he wants to be? Speaking of Tarantino, I'm excited for the Django Unchained review. To me, the movie looks every bit as 4-star worthy as Inglourious Basterds.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Having read One Shot and a few other Reacher novels, I can say they're pretty decent as far as "airport" literature. Fun to read. But fade quickly once you finish them.

A lot of people I know have complained that Cruise isn't the right fit for Reacher. I agree to an extent with that. But not because of the height issue. Reacher always seems more rugged than the types Cruise often plays. I always saw Reacher as more of a Tom Berenger type.

I will see this at some point. Not likely in theaters though. I have a bunch of movies I plan to see (Django, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty) and this one's not on that list. Netflix definitely.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 pm

"Cruise, in a role that's not a good fit..."

That's an understatement. Reacher in the books is 6'5" tall, 220-250lbs of muscle, has a 50" chest and has dirty blond hair and blue eyes.

This description is on the first page of every Reacher book and his physical size is a signature of the character.

Having read some of the books, I simply cannot imagine Cruise as Reacher.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 am
Second Unit Director

God I do love when a Tom Cruise movie gets ball busted in a review, and then we get to hear Vexer tell us how much he liked it.

All is right with the world!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 am
Auteur

Alex wrote:
"Cruise, in a role that's not a good fit..."

That's an understatement. Reacher in the books is 6'5" tall, 220-250lbs of muscle, has a 50" chest and has dirty blond hair and blue eyes.

This description is on the first page of every Reacher book and his physical size is a signature of the character.

Having read some of the books, I simply cannot imagine Cruise as Reacher.

I should mention that the author actually supported Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Vexer wrote:
I should mention that the author actually supported Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher.

In public.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:05 pm
Auteur

Alex wrote:
Vexer wrote:

In public.

Huh? :?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Lee Child got stars in his eyes and sold out to Cruise. In public, he has to support the decision, but in recent interviews there are hints of remorse.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm
Auteur

Alex wrote:
Lee Child got stars in his eyes and sold out to Cruise. In public, he has to support the decision, but in recent interviews there are hints of remorse.

Well whatever, I never read the book, so I couldn't care less how tall Reacher is in the film.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Vexer wrote:
Well whatever, I never read the book, so I couldn't care less how tall Reacher is in the film.

I have, and I do care. Enough that I will not be seeing the film.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Alex wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Over how tall somebody is? That's just petty.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:06 pm
Second Unit Director

patrick wrote:
Alex wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Over how tall somebody is? That's just petty.

Have you read them, Patrick? It's not as silly as it sounds. It's not just the first page of every book... Reacher's size comes up all the time in the books, as it should. A huge guy relates to people differently and is perceived by people differently, especially in the case of people messing or not messing with him or as a guy sticking his nose in other people's business. Making Reacher a small guy is akin to making a Bond movie where Bond is just a vigilante, not a spy. It changes everything about how he interacts with people and goes about his action-movie business. Personally the idea doesn't totally wreck the idea of it for me, but it does inherently change the story and I can understand those who feel that way.

Lee Child is a sneaky-excellent writer and Reacher is a great creation. But as Berardinelli's review touches on, they not necessarily books that translate well to screen, even though it seems like they should. The brilliance of the books is that Reacher is big and huge but doesn't desire to use his body unless absolutely necessary. His internal dialogue is fun and a huge part of what makes the books work and fly by. On film, it's hard to imagine it translating perfectly.

Michael Connelly is a much better writer than Child, one of the best writers America has right now, but his books also don't translate as well as they seem they should while you're reading them. It says something about both writers, I think, but also about how little Hollywood thinks these things through.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm
Second Unit Director

I haven't read 'em but I do get what you're saying. I still think it's petty though, if anything it could be fun seeing how a smaller person solves things differently than a big person.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:55 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
I haven't read 'em but I do get what you're saying. I still think it's petty though, if anything it could be fun seeing how a smaller person solves things differently than a big person.
Agree, if Jack Reacher was tall like in the books, i'd picture him being played by someone like Stallone or Arnie. The film actually has Reacher use his wits more then his size, like in the bathtub scene JB mentioned, basically he lets the guys hurt each other and he barely has to lay a hand on them. It's also interesting to see his process for narrowing down the cause and effect of the crime, I think people would be complaining about this film a lot less if it was an original screenplay, some people just had they're own pre-conceived notion of what they wanted the film to be like and probably weren't going to like it evne with someone other then Cruise in the role. I'm guessing people are going to have the same reaction to Jason Statham playing Parker(which i'm looking forward to).

BTW, here's Leonard Maltin's review of the film: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/jack-reacher

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 pm
Second Unit Director

Defending NOT reading a book. That's so Vexer.

I may start using Vexer as a verb more often.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

BTW, here's Leonard Maltin's review of the film: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/jack-reacher

You're bringing out Leonard Matlin? Really? You must be really desperate to get some critic, any critic to like Reacher if you're pulling Maltin out.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 pm