Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

ENDER'S GAME 
Site Admin

Post ENDER'S GAME
Click here for the review of Ender's Game

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: ENDER'S GAME
Sounds like fun, can't wait to see this with my mom on the weekend.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:31 pm
Assistant Director

Guess he's not doing a reel thoughts on boycotting...sad. I'd like to hear his opinion on it

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Guess he's not doing a reel thoughts on boycotting...sad. I'd like to hear his opinion on it

His opinion is already available. It's in a different context, but the rhythms are the same.

In this Reelthought (http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.php?identifier=684), he says the following: "...when I sit down to watch a movie, those extraneous things go away. It's just me and the images on screen. And my reaction doesn't take into account what happens outside of that."

And this: "When you watch a movie, you know little about the collaborators who have bought it to the screen. They may be adulterers, anti-Semites, racists, rapists, or even murderers. A lot of Hollywood's skeletons remain in locked closets. Someone who decides what to see based on the moral character of those involved in the film's production may not be spending much time in multiplexes."

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
"Someone who decides what to see based on the moral character of those involved in the film's production may not be spending much time in multiplexes."

Normally, I agree with this. But Card's homophobic rantings are so extreme and hateful that I struggle with the idea of paying money to see his movie. Currently, I'm on the fence whether I'll see this or not, although I was a great fan (30 years ago) of the book.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:19 am
Producer

slksc wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
"Someone who decides what to see based on the moral character of those involved in the film's production may not be spending much time in multiplexes."

Normally, I agree with this. But Card's homophobic rantings are so extreme and hateful that I struggle with the idea of paying money to see his movie. Currently, I'm on the fence whether I'll see this or not, although I was a great fan (30 years ago) of the book.

If it really bothers you that much then you can watch the movie feeling guilt free because I saw an article that said Card won't be making a dime off the movie. So you can watch it knowing that you are not contributing to his pocket.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:41 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
If it really bothers you that much then you can watch the movie feeling guilt free because I saw an article that said Card won't be making a dime off the movie. So you can watch it knowing that you are not contributing to his pocket.

I read the same thing, and don't doubt that it's true. But it's more complicated than that. If the movie does well at the BO, then it will probably spur sales of the book. And I have also read (but don't know enough about the business to know if it's true) that the studio can give an additional bonus to the author if his book becomes a bestseller after the movie comes out.

The fact that I bought his book 30 years ago, before I knew his views, doesn't bother me. The fact that my movie ticket today may put more money in his pocket (albeit indirectly) does bother me.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 am
Second Unit Director

Anyone know if the movie would work for kids under 13?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 am
Second Unit Director

slksc wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I read the same thing, and don't doubt that it's true. But it's more complicated than that. If the movie does well at the BO, then it will probably spur sales of the book. And I have also read (but don't know enough about the business to know if it's true) that the studio can give an additional bonus to the author if his book becomes a bestseller after the movie comes out.

The fact that I bought his book 30 years ago, before I knew his views, doesn't bother me. The fact that my movie ticket today may put more money in his pocket (albeit indirectly) does bother me.

Buy a ticket for another movie and walk into that one. Why do some people make a mountain out of a mole hill? He doesn't like gays, so what?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am
Director

I'm no mod, but I have a feeling this discussion could get ugly real soon. Maybe it should be moved to the Open Forum?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:10 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with any moral dilemma that may be involved with buying a ticket. Being a movie theater employee, I attend for free.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Quote:
The central themes of Card's book remain intact, chief of which relate to the ethics of defensive genocide. There are no easy answers to the questions posed by this issue and Ender's Game, to its credit, doesn't try to provide Hollywood-style facile resolutions. The movie never gets as dark as it might but neither does it ignore the implications.

I'm a lover of the book and was glad to read this, but disappointed to read the bit about the ending being reduced to "an afterthought." There are some serious threads of reconciliation running through the ending. I'd hate to see some of that lost. JB's positive review makes me really look forward to seeing this now! But I made a promise to my brother to see it with him Thanksgiving weekend, so I will wait! BOO HISS.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm
Producer

slksc wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I don't understand this. This is going to happen whether you watch the movie or not. In fact, it's already happened. The book is already back in the best sellers list due to the release of the movie. You are not contributing anything, directly or indirectly, by going to see the movie.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
[I don't understand this. This is going to happen whether you watch the movie or not. In fact, it's already happened. The book is already back in the best sellers list due to the release of the movie. You are not contributing anything, directly or indirectly, by going to see the movie.

That's a good point.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm
Producer

I'm tentatively giving this 9 out of 10. It's an excellent, intelligent movie, has a great and innovative look, and has emotional impact as well. I hope they continue with the sequel, which is even better.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm
Producer

mrguinness wrote:
Anyone know if the movie would work for kids under 13?

Probably. There's some violence (human on human) that might disturb them, and it does probe some serious moral dilemmas that kids under ten might not get, but adults who remember MAD will.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Just got back from Ender's Game and as someone who has never read the book....holy crap I loved it! The thought-provoking themes makes it kinda obvious why the book is so regarded as it is. The effects are incredible and everybody does great in the acting front. Not sure if it overtakes The Conjouring as my favorite movie of the year but it does come very close.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
slksc wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Buy a ticket for another movie and walk into that one. Why do some people make a mountain out of a mole hill? He doesn't like gays, so what?

You have to be careful walking into another movie as it is a criminal offense in some places. An employee at Cineplex told me that it is up to the theater manager to call the police and charge you with trespassing as you have broken the legal license to be in the theater. I asked if you have seen it done and she said a couple of times and at others the manager throws you out or bans you from the chain. Just depends if there are keeners on staff that day or not.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:39 pm
Producer

If you explain yourself to the manager, I doubt they would have a problem. Most of the cases of people who get kicked out or whatever are when they try to sneak into a movie without paying.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
If you explain yourself to the manager, I doubt they would have a problem. Most of the cases of people who get kicked out or whatever are when they try to sneak into a movie without paying.

Buying a ticket for one movie and seeing another IS THE SAME EXACT THING AS NOT PAYING! The only explanation that has even a small chance of flying is "I went into the wrong theater." and even then it's very iffy.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:22 pm