Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
GRAVITY 
Gaffer

Post Re: GRAVITY
Just saw this in 3D and I must say that every extra cent paid for the 3D version was worth it! You get the feeling to be really in space together with them! A first rate survival thriller in space and one of the best movies of the year so far!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
The root word of "Gravity" is "grave."

That's factually incorrect. The root word for both gravity and grave is the Latin word grav, which means heavy or weighty. The word gravity has nothing to do with a grave in terms of death -- linking them makes as much sense as linking the word to "aggravate."

Which kinda makes my counter-point for me: Seitz's interpretation, and those who may feel the same way, it certainly a valid take, but it doesn't dismiss my stance. What does Seitz make of the fact that every single line of dialogue is a cliche?

Again, it's fine to love the film, but to imply that I don't because I'm missing something is pretty silly in this case, I feel.

You would never know your missing something till someone points it out and you actually think about it or not. The movie is crafted so carefully but the dialogue is not. Well then the astronauts should be waxing poetically like King Lear or Hamlet? Like "Let us fly on the wings of blessed Mercury to yonder outpost of the far flung Great Dragon". No the dialogue is well done in being first about people who are at work and doing something they have trained at a million times and then about people in a catastrophic emergency. If you have ever been to a horrific car accident or house fire people will either sit there pretty stunned where they don't talk or babble the same thing repeatedly and run around like idiots. The emergency crews just stick to business of rescuing people or calming them down but always in the same clear calm businesslike cliched way. A trained economy of motion,acting and speaking that saves lives when every second counts.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
You would never know your missing something till someone points it out and you actually think about it or not.

I agree, but the point Seitz made has been made by dozens of critics already (although his is weakened by his misunderstanding of the language), so it's something I'd already considered and dismissed, which is why I was careful to point out that I don't think I'm missing something in this case.

oakenshield32 wrote:
The movie is crafted so carefully but the dialogue is not. Well then the astronauts should be waxing poetically like King Lear or Hamlet? Like "Let us fly on the wings of blessed Mercury to yonder outpost of the far flung Great Dragon". No the dialogue is well done in being first about people who are at work and doing something they have trained at a million times and then about people in a catastrophic emergency.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm not asking them to talk like Billy Shakes. I don't think it's at all well done. Real people sometimes do talk in cliches, so the cliches are not the entire problem, but it's all too on-the-nose for me.

oakenshield32 wrote:
If you have ever been to a horrific car accident or house fire people will either sit there pretty stunned where they don't talk or babble the same thing repeatedly and run around like idiots. The emergency crews just stick to business of rescuing people or calming them down but always in the same clear calm businesslike cliched way. A trained economy of motion,acting and speaking that saves lives when every second counts.

I think that's all pretty well known and understood by most adults, but I don't get what it adds to the conversation here -- I never said anything about them being too calm or anything like that. And the film never really acts like every second counts -- half the movie is Bullock doing stupid things that delay the things she needs to do.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm
Gaffer

This movie was great. Very intense, kept me gripping the armrest. I really have a difficult time understanding all the complaining about it. Loved it. Seems like the internet has changed movie going for the worse. There are too many people that just bitch and moan about everything.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 am
Auteur

jaminator wrote:
This movie was great. Very intense, kept me gripping the armrest. I really have a difficult time understanding all the complaining about it. Loved it. Seems like the internet has changed movie going for the worse. There are too many people that just bitch and moan about everything.

People don't HAVE to love this film ya know, just cause they disagree with critics dosen't automatically mean they're "bitching" and "moaning".

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
jaminator wrote:

People don't HAVE to love this film ya know, just cause they disagree with critics dosen't automatically mean they're "bitching" and "moaning".

Thats true but there is still a lot of bitching and moaning.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:16 pm
Auteur

jaminator wrote:
Vexer wrote:
jaminator wrote:

Dosen't seem like it to me, all of the criticisms sound perfectly legitimate.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:28 pm
Second Unit Director

This writer on the Wrap has added another level of interpretation to the film that completely revises the ending and the more you think about it the more he could have a point. It is interesting to see someone putting some thought on the director maybe pulling a very deft sleight of hand on audience without them noticing.

Beware a lot of spoilers.

http://www.thewrap.com/gravity-ending-seems-alternate-theory-spoilers/

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:00 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
This writer on the Wrap has added another level of interpretation to the film that completely revises the ending and the more you think about it the more he could have a point. It is interesting to see someone putting some thought on the director maybe pulling a very deft sleight of hand on audience without them noticing.

I guess it's sortof interesting (although it's literally the exact same theory a friend tossed around right after we saw it), but it's incredibly unoriginal; most recently the same interpretation was levied on the final episode of Breaking Bad.

And if it's intended to be a slight of hand, it's not deft at all

[Reveal] Spoiler:
if the shore she washes up on is some sort of heaven, then we know she either died when she turned off the oxygen or when attempting to land -- nothing tricky there

But the author totally lost my attention/care with this:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
From her self-affirming soliloquy on the bumpy ride down, to the fact that she lands in water but near the beach (what are the odds of that?) to her near-impossible swim to the surface — even the very look of the verdant, paradisal beach where she washes ashore — nothing dissipates the possibility that she’s landed not on Earth, but the next plane.

I mean, come now!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The crazy coincidences of her survival are the entire movie! There's nothing else to it! It's much more believable that she'd land near a beach then that she'd never be hurt by the debris circling the earth, have exactly the amount of oxygen needed to get to the other station, manage to lasso her feet on pieces of the station to save herself -- again, the whole film and it's suspense is built on these coincidences. To point out merely the final coincidence and try to take meaning from it is asinine. If the film hadn't been using them all along there'd be something to it, but there's not -- she had an incredible run of luck after the initial assault of debris. Maybe the message of the film is that her luck bounced back after the death of her daughter, but I don't think there's anything to this theory at all. When he writes that the film "leaves open the possibility... that Ryan never actually made it to the beach" he's forgetting that the film is rooted and built on the one-woman show that it is. I never for a second expected to see her rescue party -- that's just not a necessary part of the film. All that matters is that she survived -- and that for the first time since her daughter's death, she wanted to. That's the only point of the film, to me.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 pm
Director

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this kind of theory at all (whether used for Breaking Bad, this movie, or other things). It works when the nature of the film is aligned with the theory (like Inception), but most of the time it's like handwaving to look at a film/TV and get "instant meaning/insight" without putting any real analysis behind it.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm
Producer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this kind of theory at all (whether used for Breaking Bad, this movie, or other things).

It's been used 1000s of times for 1000s of years. Really, when you think about it, any story can be interpreted that way.

Quote:

It doesn't matter if anybody bitches and moans about a movie that has literally nothing against it and is an instant box office success. Negative reviews become more offensive when it's a small movie that has almost no chance to begin with. Movies like Detention and Pawn Shop Chronicles.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 am
Director

Shade2 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The crazy coincidences of her survival are the entire movie! There's nothing else to it! It's much more believable that she'd land near a beach then that she'd never be hurt by the debris circling the earth, have exactly the amount of oxygen needed to get to the other station, manage to lasso her feet on pieces of the station to save herself -- again, the whole film and it's suspense is built on these coincidences.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Not just near a beach, but in fresh water, since we see a frog in the water and frogs can't survive in salt water. I just attributed it to good AI on the Chinese capsule. At least she doesn't have to worry about dying of thirst.

Excellent movie. I agree with the **** rating. I saw it in 3-D on an IMAX (real IMAX) and it took a while to adjust back to Earth gravity.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm
Producer

Was entertained by this movie for its first half, left the theater feeling empty-headed, worn out, and unfulfilled. It's too short, frankly, feeling like a trailer or demo reel for something much more substantial. Some of the dialogue was flat out stupid and certain moments were cheesier than anything in mission to mars. I think it's a failure, but I will say that it's a NOBLE failure. Cuarons reach exceeds his grasp. I wish this movies fans would admit that because it's good enough to recognized for what it is. Calling it something better only hurts the movie. Doesn't help it. I would love to see more movies like this. There's a helluva lot lore potential here. Unfortunately, the excessive praise makes that less likely to happen. Me and 2 others paid a total of $60 to see it in IMAX 3D. The effect is okay, the surcharge is not. This surcharge threatens to destroy theater going forever. My heart goes out to Stephanie zacharek for praising mission to mars and recognizing that cuaron took inspiration from it. My heart goes out to Cuarons ambition as well...but not to his fans.

Other than an admittedly strong use of 3D, the visuals weren't THAT great. I found man of steel more impressive by far.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Was entertained by this movie for its first half, left the theater feeling empty-headed, worn out, and unfulfilled.

That is odd as that is exactly what Man of Steel felt like when I watched it. You felt pummeled by the sickening mass murder and destruction. It felt all wrong for a Superman movie and you come out kind of bummed that they had turned a iconic American hero into kind of unsympathetic anti hero. In comparison Gravity leaves you genuinely enthralled and amazed. I will bet that it will be one of the films nominated for Best Picture and perhaps best director.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:12 am
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:

Jaminator wrote:

Vexer wrote:

LOL at the guy who 1. Hasnt seen the film, yet 2. feels the need to pass judgement on Bollocks performance as just "sitting in front of a green screen looking scared" when it was clearly a very challenging film for her to make. :roll:

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 am
Producer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
Was entertained by this movie for its first half, left the theater feeling empty-headed, worn out, and unfulfilled.

That is odd as that is exactly what Man of Steel felt like when I watched it. You felt pummeled by the sickening mass murder and destruction. It felt all wrong for a Superman movie and you come out kind of bummed that they had turned a iconic American hero into kind of unsympathetic anti hero. In comparison Gravity leaves you genuinely enthralled and amazed. I will bet that it will be one of the films nominated for Best Picture and perhaps best director.

I'm sure it'll be nominated. The avengers had mass death and destruction too. More insane gigantism in avengers than in steel by far. Steel is actually quite tame compared to war of the worlds, transformers, and other alien invasion disaster flicks.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

That is odd as that is exactly what Man of Steel felt like when I watched it. I felt pummeled by the sickening mass murder and destruction. It felt all wrong for a Superman movie and I came out kind of bummed that they had turned a iconic American hero into kind of unsympathetic anti hero. In comparison Gravity left me genuinely enthralled and amazed. I will bet that it will be one of the films nominated for Best Picture and perhaps best director.

You shouldn't try and speak for other people, I for one was highly enthralled by Man Of Steel and was not the least bit "sickened" by it, it didn't feel at all "wrong" for a Superman film and I don't really see they tried to turn him into an "anti-hero".

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 pm
Auteur

jaminator wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Jaminator wrote:

Vexer wrote:

LOL at the guy who 1. Hasnt seen the film, yet 2. feels the need to pass judgement on Bollocks performance as just "sitting in front of a green screen looking scared" when it was clearly a very challenging film for her to make. :roll:

I wasn't "passing judgement" on her :roll: I like Bullock as an actress, but the idea of a MEDICAL doctor going into space sounds all kinds of ridiculous. Besides I was refering to you totally dismissing ANYONE who dared criticize the film, like it's somehow forbidden to dislike it, are you going to say McGamesCook is "bitching and moaning"

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
That is odd as that is exactly what Man of Steel felt like when I watched it. I felt pummeled by the sickening mass murder and destruction. It felt all wrong for a Superman movie and I came out kind of bummed that they had turned a iconic American hero into kind of unsympathetic anti hero. In comparison Gravity left me genuinely enthralled and amazed. I will bet that it will be one of the films nominated for Best Picture and perhaps best director.

You shouldn't try and speak for other people, I for one was highly enthralled by Man Of Steel and was not the least bit "sickened" by it, it didn't feel at all "wrong" for a Superman film and I don't really see they tried to turn him into an "anti-hero".

I'm not seeing where he's speaking for other people; just how he feels about the movie.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm
Producer

I just think a good director feels its his job to present a movie in the most visceral way possible and the most hard-hitting way possible. That's the main difference with steel. I mean, I think gravity is pretty decent in that aspect. Cuaron did things with 3D that Cameron wouldn't do and I appreciated that, but narratively it's just a bit unsatisfying. Feels like more could have been done with the concept.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next