Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
GRAVITY 
Director

Post Re: GRAVITY
Ken wrote:
Really? How many movies have you seen that have accurately and consistently conveyed those facts to you?

I don't know but gravity wasn't one of them. We took a field trip in elementary school to see IMAX space station 3D which I recall did a decent job of it.

Casual moviegoers have brains and education too.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:08 am
Director

I imagine it's more to set the tone than actually inform, like a prelude of a novel before going in the main story. Of course most of us know the general outline going in, but music and that caption implies the tone of a thriller going in "Now that we tell you it's impossible, we're going to test that fact."

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:50 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:
Gravity was a fantastic film overall, and I'm surprised there wasn't more mention of one of its biggest pluses for me: running time. I can't think of the last time a phenomenally well-received film (at the box office and/or in the press) ran a mere hour and a half, especially if one eliminates Disney animated films. It's particularly noteworthy given the number of Avatar mentions in this thread; after all, one could watch Gravity twice in the time it took Cameron's film to tell its derivative tale.

Gravity may be shorter than Avatar, but it's not less derivative of a dozen other movies that have already been made. I'm rewatching it now, my God this shit is condescending and treats its viewers like idiots. The opening caption: "600 km above earth there is nothing to carry sound, no air pressure, no oxygen. Life in space is impossible." Yeah I passed the first grade, so I know that already. I'm tired of having movies talk down to me like this.

Never said it was original, just half as long as Avatar. One of the biggest problems I had with the latter after seeing it was I had no idea why it needed to be 3 hours long.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:25 am
Director

I agree Gravity is the much superior film. Avatar, like Avengers, also has a nasty case of gigantism. Everything is way oversized so that the movie isn't epic so much as weirdly large. All the machinery in particular.

However, Gravity feels overscaled in the sense that it's just about the survival of one person and the tone is just way too grand for such a small story. Most space movies, including not only 2001 but a lot of B movies, are about grand events where mankind discovers his destiny or something crazy about the universe. I find Gravity to be lacking in ambition for the tone it adopts.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6