Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 pm

WE'RE THE MILLERS 
Site Admin

Post WE'RE THE MILLERS
Click here for the review of We're the Millers

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: WE'RE THE MILLERS
Looks pretty funny to me, here's Dustin's review:
http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/w/13_werethemillers.htm

Personally I like most of Anniston's films and I think she's a pretty good actress.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:24 pm
Director

I liked one of R Marshall Thurber's previous efforts Dodgeball (haven't seen Mysteries Of Pittsburgh). Definitely wait for Netflix for this one.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

Personally I like most of Anniston's films and I think she's a pretty good actress.

I like Aniston too, she can definitely act but really is kind of slumming it. I liked her a lot in The Good Girl and Horrible Bosses, but other than that? Meh. Kind of the opposite of Keanu Reeves, a really mediocre actor at but usually picks interesting projects.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I like Aniston too, she can definitely act but really is kind of slumming it. I liked her a lot in The Good Girl and Horrible Bosses, but other than that? Meh. Kind of the opposite of Keanu Reeves, a really mediocre actor at but usually picks interesting projects.
I also thought she was good in Wanderlust, Rumor Has It, Derailed, Management, Friends With Money and The Thin Pink Line, I don't think she's "slumming it" at all.
I actually didn't like "Good Girl" all that much to be honest, Aniston was pretty much the only good thing about it, I just didn't find the story all that compelling and some of the turns it took near the end were way too contrived for me.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:41 pm
Producer

The Thin Pink Line? What is that, some kind of lame spoof of The Thin Red Line?

I like some of Aniston's movies, some of them are blah. This one actually doesn't look too bad. I laughed a lot at the trailer. Especially when the "son" sings. That was really funny. I loved the look on everybody's faces. :D

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:27 am
Producer

KWRoss wrote:

Kind of the opposite of Keanu Reeves, a really mediocre actor at but usually picks interesting projects.

But you gotta admit, he was pretty terrifying playing an abusive husband redneck a-hole in The Gift. I thought he was GREAT in that movie.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
The Thin Pink Line? What is that, some kind of lame spoof of The Thin Red Line?

I like some of Aniston's movies, some of them are blah. This one actually doesn't look too bad. I laughed a lot at the trailer. Especially when the "son" sings. That was really funny. I loved the look on everybody's faces. :D

It's actually a parody of "The Thin Blue Line"

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:38 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I’ve never seen The Good Girl, so I can’t say I’ve ever really seen her act. She just seems to be the same person, drifting between various roles, without ever really showing any personality.

She seems like a nice person, but I don’t really like any of her work.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:52 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
I’ve never seen The Good Girl, so I can’t say I’ve ever really seen her act. She just seems to be the same person, drifting between various roles, without ever really showing any personality.

She seems like a nice person, but I don’t really like any of her work.

That's pretty much how I would describe Julia Roberts myself, seems like she plays the exact same orle in every film, Aniston does switc hit up every once in awhile, her role as a femme fatale in Derailed was especially impressive, if you haven't seen that one I highly recommend it.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I think I'll probably pass on that one. And this one.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:28 pm
Auteur

Just saw this, it's currently tied with The Heat for funniest comedy of the year, Aniston showcases her comedy chops well and strikes a good balance between likealbe and off-color, Roberts plays wel against type as a foul-mouthed teen runaway, the biggest surprise is Poulter, who impresses as the nerdy shy-guy Kenny, i'm looking forward to seeing his next film "Plastic", Sudekis while funny is kind of the weak link, as his character comes off as a bit too much of a jerk at times to truly be likeable and it takes him a bit too long for his attitude change to come around. For me the funniest bit was pretty much anything with happy-go-lucky family the characters run into, we get a messed up game of pictionary, a very akward tent scene, and the funniest part, Rose and Casey giving Kenny a lesson in how to kiss that gets a little too detailed. The complaint i've heard from most critics is that the dramatic elements in the film dont' mesh mell with the comedy, well I for one must disagree, I thought the dramatic parts we're handled pretty well and they didn't feel unnecessarily shoehorned in. So overall this was a pretty fun ride and has me hoping Aniston will do more roles like this.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:05 pm