Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:56 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
THE LONE RANGER 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 251
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:
Based on JB's review and the pervasive negative reviews all across the criticsphere, I'll probably wait to watch this one in the comforts of my home. Question: Is anybody else bothered by Depp in the role of Tonto -all done up in "Indian-face," if you will? I understand he's a big box office draw and all (or perhaps not, as the box office results have displayed), so the rationale is understandable. But I can't but feel that they surely could have found a capable Native American actor?

I don't think changing a character's race is always a bad thing, for example I can understand why Khan in ST: Into Darkness was played by a white actor instead of an actual Indian actor, as due to Khan's terrorist-like actions there would've been a LOT of unfortunate implications if they had gone the other way, so that change is somewhat understandable. I'm also fine with the race change of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, because his original characterization in the comics was a rather offensive oriental sterotype that studio execs would've never allowed today.

All that being said, it kinda looks and sounds like Depp's performance makes a mockery out of Native Americans, so this is one case where changing the character's race probably wasn't a good idea. I don't see why they couldn't have had Depp play the Ranger(he could've still found a way to work in his "crazy" shtick) and had Tonto played by an actor with an actual Native American background like say Adam Beach or Lou Diamond Phillips.


For the record, Johnny Depp is actually of Native American background, as from what I've read, his maternal grandfather is a full-blooded Cherokee, making him 1/4 Cherokee (and he frankly looks it, with his dark hair, eyes and tanned complexion), so it doesn't bother me that he plays a Native American character.

In fact, Depp has more Native American ancestry than Lou Diamond Phillips, who is only 1/8 Native American (Phillips is 1/2 Filipino, 3/8 Scotch-Irish, 1/8 Cherokee).


Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 265
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
From wikipedia:

Quote:
Depp was adopted as an honorary son by LaDonna Harris, a member of the Comanche Nation, on May 22, 2012, making him an honorary member of Harris' family, but not an enrolled member of the Nation.[86] Harris, president of Americans for Indian Opportunity, invited him to join her family after hearing he would be portraying the role of Tonto as a Comanche in the 2013 feature film The Lone Ranger. The ceremony took place at Harris’ home; Comanche Nation Tribal Administrator Johnny Wauqua was in attendance. Depp was presented with gifts by the family, which he then presented to the attendees, as per tradition.[86] In 2013, Indian Country Today Media Network questioned whether Tonto's Giant Nuts (credited in the 2003 movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico), the name of Johnny Depp's band, was a wise choice given the actor's role as Tonto.[87]

Controversy arose over both the adoption and Depp's portrayal of a Native American character,[86] as Depp was not raised in, nor has confirmable ancestry from, a Native American community, though he has said he "guesses" he may have some distant Cherokee or Creek ancestry.[9] Commentators have wondered why he has not verified his Native American ancestry with the Cherokee or any tribe when the information is easily available.[88]


So, Johnny Depp has no confirmed Native American ancestry according to wikipedia. What's the source for the 1/4th Native American?

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 495
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
His ancestry is kind of a red herring as race is equal part cultural as well as blood chemistry and there he has nothing unlike Jay Silverheels who was a Canadian Mohawk. Depp is trying to pull a Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder that he can play anything. His ego is that big and it was his obsessive desire for years to play Tonto for some reason. Along with the fact that he is one of the producers no one was going to get that part other than him. A local reviewer called it best as Grade A minstrelsy jackassery. This was a misguided project by Depp and Disney from the beginning and the box office results are proving that. Perhaps Disney could make amends by doing a movie about Jim Thorpe one of the greatest American athletes of the 20th century with the proper casting and sensitivity unlike the 1951 film with Burt Lancaster as Thorpe. I guess somethings don't change in Hollywood.


Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 251
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
thered47 wrote:
From wikipedia:

Quote:
Depp was adopted as an honorary son by LaDonna Harris, a member of the Comanche Nation, on May 22, 2012, making him an honorary member of Harris' family, but not an enrolled member of the Nation.[86] Harris, president of Americans for Indian Opportunity, invited him to join her family after hearing he would be portraying the role of Tonto as a Comanche in the 2013 feature film The Lone Ranger. The ceremony took place at Harris’ home; Comanche Nation Tribal Administrator Johnny Wauqua was in attendance. Depp was presented with gifts by the family, which he then presented to the attendees, as per tradition.[86] In 2013, Indian Country Today Media Network questioned whether Tonto's Giant Nuts (credited in the 2003 movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico), the name of Johnny Depp's band, was a wise choice given the actor's role as Tonto.[87]

Controversy arose over both the adoption and Depp's portrayal of a Native American character,[86] as Depp was not raised in, nor has confirmable ancestry from, a Native American community, though he has said he "guesses" he may have some distant Cherokee or Creek ancestry.[9] Commentators have wondered why he has not verified his Native American ancestry with the Cherokee or any tribe when the information is easily available.[88]


So, Johnny Depp has no confirmed Native American ancestry according to wikipedia. What's the source for the 1/4th Native American?


There was a (possibly unauthorized) biography of Johnny Depp that I saw on the shelf of a bookstore many years ago; I had briefly browsed it and it stated that his maternal grandfather was a full-blooded Cherokee. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the book (again, it was many years ago) but it made sense to me, because it explained his jet-black hair, high cheekbones and tanned complexion, all features he could have inherited from a Native ancestor.

It seems as if the author of the book had not done his/her research properly, given the above Wikipedia quote.


Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
I kind of fell ass-backwards into seeing this tonight. Parts of it were a lot of fun, but by gum, it felt like somebody mixed up footage from a lighthearted children's movie, a deconstructionist western, and a modern superhero movie. The tone is all over the place, sometimes changing in mid-scene.

I also have to quibble with the portrayal of the leads. I understand that this is a "zero to hero" kind of storyline, but the treatment of these characters as barely competent boobs maxes out its mileage much earlier on than I think the filmmakers were counting on. It's sort of like how Worf gets the crap kicked out of him about once per episode in Star Trek: The Next Generation. It only gets the desired effect if it's used sparingly. Use it too much and it becomes hard to buy it when the character actually steps up and delivers.

But hey, that train part with the William Tell Overture was well-executed, and Fitchner is a surprisingly slimy villain. I'm not sure this movie needed to happen, but it escapes the sort of mediocrity that summer tends to bring.

There's some stuff in there about the dubious merits of progress, a la carte Indian mysticism, and revenge vs. justice, but the larger plot is that there are women and children in danger, a valuable MacGuffin to be chased, and bad guys who need some good guys to ride them out of town on a rail. On a scale starting at Transcendent and ending with Michael Bay, I give this a hearty It Was Alright, I Guess.

P.S. Armie Hammer was once slated to play Batman in the perpetually in-development Justice League. He's not a bad actor at all and he isn't without charisma, but his personality is mild and his voice doesn't have much force. The Lone Ranger has me convinced that Hammer as Batman would have never worked.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
After the goofy "Green Hornet" we got this goofy "Lone Ranger" so now Hollywood totally screwed the Reid family lol

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
unwindfilms wrote:
After the goofy "Green Hornet" we got this goofy "Lone Ranger" so now Hollywood totally screwed the Reid family lol

This calls for a whole universe reboot. Somebody get Chris Nolan on the phone.

And for God's sake, if we can resurrect Tupac in the form of a hologram, then surely we can resurrect Bruce Lee.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Ken wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
After the goofy "Green Hornet" we got this goofy "Lone Ranger" so now Hollywood totally screwed the Reid family lol

This calls for a whole universe reboot. Somebody get Chris Nolan on the phone.

And for God's sake, if we can resurrect Tupac in the form of a hologram, then surely we can resurrect Bruce Lee.

Oh how time changes, in the 60s I was a huge fan of the "Green Hornet" series when most of my friends (maybe all) preferred the "Goofy" Batman. The Green Hornet was quite a bit less campy with normal gangsters (not villians in flashy costumes) , Van Williams had the good looks and was also very cool who always knew what to do when the tough got tougher and Bruce lee was a loyal sidekick but totally bad ass when muscle was need well he could really kick ass lol and even the car "The black beauty" was very slick . Now from these two re-makes only liked they still used their 60s song themes, the "Black beauty" and silver ;-). Yeah, I'd love to see what Nolan would do with a " realistic Green Hornet" and I totally agree that this superhero really fits his style :-)

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
unwindfilms wrote:
Ken wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
After the goofy "Green Hornet" we got this goofy "Lone Ranger" so now Hollywood totally screwed the Reid family lol

This calls for a whole universe reboot. Somebody get Chris Nolan on the phone.

And for God's sake, if we can resurrect Tupac in the form of a hologram, then surely we can resurrect Bruce Lee.

Oh how time changes, in the 60s I was a huge fan of the "Green Hornet" series when most of my friends (maybe all) preferred the "Goofy" Batman. The Green Hornet was quite a bit less campy with normal gangsters (not villians in flashy costumes) , Van Williams had the good looks and was also very cool who always knew what to do when the tough got tougher and Bruce lee was a loyal sidekick but totally bad ass when muscle was need well he could really kick ass lol and even the car "The black beauty" was very slick . Now from these two re-makes only liked they still used their 60s song themes, the "Black beauty" and silver ;-). Yeah, I'd love to see what Nolan would do with a " realistic Green Hornet" and I totally agree that this superhero really fits his style :-)
Personally I really dug the Green Hornet film, quite honestly I never even knew there was a TV series before that point, so I had no real expectations of what I wanted the film to be like, all I wanted was an entertaining superhero film and I got one. Rogen was the right choice for the role IMO, Jay Chou made an excellent sidekick, and Christoph Waltz was menacing yet funny at the same time. Personally I think Nolan is a tad overrated and i'm really not so sure that he would've done a better job on the film.


Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Vexer wrote:
Personally I really dug the Green Hornet film, quite honestly I never even knew there was a TV series before that point, so I had no real expectations of what I wanted the film to be like, all I wanted was an entertaining superhero film and I got one. Rogen was the right choice for the role IMO, Jay Chou made an excellent sidekick, and Christoph Waltz was menacing yet funny at the same time. Personally I think Nolan is a tad overrated and i'm really not so sure that he would've done a better job on the film.


I was most of the times (in minority) in the late 60s defending the "Green Hornet " TV series was better than Batman (similarly as sometimes vexer find himself in this Forum defending some of his movie favourites and I respect his opinion) . Now, for the one who never saw the TV series, let me give a short taste of near 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2RDh0EqRH8

I know the Seth Rotgen's one had some people who liked it:

IMDB : 5.9 (from over 100000 votes)
Tomatometer : 44 % (from 227 reviews)
Box Office: $ 227 Million(budget $120 million)

but I could not despise it more. Set Rogen performance was not only goofy but sometimes even played it like a jerk that was totally lost and Kato was besides the muscle the brains lol. Van Williams (who had more good looks that Rotgen) was a very cool "Boss" and he really could deal and even intimidate gangster and when help was needed well there was "Kato"

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
unwindfilms wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Personally I really dug the Green Hornet film, quite honestly I never even knew there was a TV series before that point, so I had no real expectations of what I wanted the film to be like, all I wanted was an entertaining superhero film and I got one. Rogen was the right choice for the role IMO, Jay Chou made an excellent sidekick, and Christoph Waltz was menacing yet funny at the same time. Personally I think Nolan is a tad overrated and i'm really not so sure that he would've done a better job on the film.


I was most of the times (in minority) in the late 60s defending the "Green Hornet " TV series was better than Batman (similarly as sometimes vexer find himself in this Forum defending some of his movie favourites and I respect his opinion) . Now, for the one who never saw the TV series, let me give a short taste of near 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2RDh0EqRH8

I know the Seth Rotgen's one had some people who liked it:

IMDB : 5.9 (from over 100000 votes)
Tomatometer : 44 % (from 227 reviews)
Box Office: $ 227 Million(budget $120 million)

but I could not despise it more. Set Rogen performance was not only goofy but sometimes even played it like a jerk that was totally lost and Kato was besides the muscle the brains lol. Van Williams (who had more good looks that Rotgen) was a very cool "Boss" and he really could deal and even intimidate gangster and when help was needed well there was "Kato"

I can see why you wouldn't like Rogen's performance, but I thought it was refreshing to see a superhero protagonist that's a little "rough around the edges" so to speak, and we see Rogen's character evolve from a self-obsessed jerk into a geunine hero.


Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
After the death of Bruce Lee in 1973 at his very peak, fans could not get enough from him so a movie was made with 3 old TV episodes from the Green Hornet (filmed in 1966-67) in 1974. It contains one which was probably the most campiest shown in the series and one that it is only a big fight between kato and a martial arts professional henchman but nevertheless can give you a good idea of the TV series ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJ7AXkaWDQ

I remember that i watched this movie in the Cinema as a big fan of The Hornet and Kato 8-)

I actually owns a DVD with all 26 episodes

My favourite are : "The Praying Mantis" (The fight between Lee and the Martial arts professional thug) - Shown in the 74 movie
"Seek, stall and destroy" ( The "Black Beauty" against a tank)
"Eat, Drink, and Be Dead" (This shows the modus operandi of the Hornet which was to become a partner of the criminal to send it to jail or kill him later)
"Ace in the Hole" (This episode shows the Hornet manipulating the Gangsters )

I really cherish these memories from my youth and when I saw the Seth Rotgen film well my blood boiled lol

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
I saw a bunch of Green Hornet episodes a long time ago on... some network that I'm sure doesn't exist anymore. But they were doing marathons of Batman and The Green Hornet. I think there was a lot of commonality between the two shows. I was unfortunately too young at the time to appreciate an early glimpse of the greatest martial arts actor to ever walk the Earth.

Legend has it that in the Green Hornet/Batman crossover episode, Bruce Lee was supposed to fight Burt Ward and lose. Lee did not like this idea, and politely suggested* to the producers that they revise their idea. They did, and the plot was changed so that they fought to a draw.


*Insofar as someone can be polite while shouting and making a mess of the room.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 am
Posts: 27
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
The action killed this. I was bored with it. It defied logic, gravity and everything else and just became boring and a distraction to telling a interesting story.

Hammer was likable enough in the part... problem was they didnt give him anything interesting to do.

Should have focused on the character who, as a believer in Law, forced to wear a mask is interesting enough.

The forced Tonto comedy = ugh.

However, I actually did enjoy the "Dont ever do that again" joke. To me it actually worked to poke some fun at the "old time corniness" of the character.

What a waste. As a old timer myself (43), I would have liked to see a decent adaptation of the character.

Id say the 2&1/2 out of 4 *s is accurate.




Quote:
I remember that I watched this movie in the Cinema


Me too. Saw it as a double feature with "Chinese Connection".


Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 am
Posts: 184
Location: NJ
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Just saw The Lone Ranger this morning. I enjoyed the big action scenes, and was more or less entertained throughout, but I felt that there was too much alternating between action-comedy and regular action. I'd recommend it, overall.

_________________
Founder, Editor, Webmaster, and Writer: http://www.filmreviews12.com


Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 857
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Ken wrote:
I saw a bunch of Green Hornet episodes a long time ago on... some network that I'm sure doesn't exist anymore. But they were doing marathons of Batman and The Green Hornet. I think there was a lot of commonality between the two shows. I was unfortunately too young at the time to appreciate an early glimpse of the greatest martial arts actor to ever walk the Earth.

Legend has it that in the Green Hornet/Batman crossover episode, Bruce Lee was supposed to fight Burt Ward and lose. Lee did not like this idea, and politely suggested* to the producers that they revise their idea. They did, and the plot was changed so that they fought to a draw.


*Insofar as someone can be polite while shouting and making a mess of the room.


That crossover episode with Batman is definitely the campiest in my DVD collection as Batman was the show with better viewer ratings and imposed its style. I wouldn't be surprised that Bruce Lee was very uncomfortable filming it and in particular getting even a draw with the holly wonder boy (Ward) lol

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm
Posts: 134
Location: South California
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Ken wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
After the goofy "Green Hornet" we got this goofy "Lone Ranger" so now Hollywood totally screwed the Reid family lol

This calls for a whole universe reboot. Somebody get Chris Nolan on the phone.

And for God's sake, if we can resurrect Tupac in the form of a hologram, then surely we can resurrect Bruce Lee.


I know that wasn't coincidence Ken.

Good on you...

_________________
...


Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:22 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Quote:
Johnny Depp and producer Jerry Bruckheimer have spoken out for the first time since mega-budget Western “The Lone Ranger” crumbled at the global box office, blaming U.S. critics for one of the biggest Hollywood trainwrecks of the year.

“I think the reviews were written seven to eight months before we released the film,” Depp explained in a new interview.

Disney’s costly pic, which could lose as much as $150 million, never stood a chance of succeeding because of overtly negative press, according to Depp.

“I think the reviews were written when they heard Gore (Verbinski) and Jerry (Bruckheimer) and me were going to do ‘The Lone Ranger’,” he said. “They had expectations that it must be a blockbuster. I didn’t have any expectations of that. I never do.”

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, who made millions off the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise with Depp, agreed when it came to the press’ coverage.

“I think they were reviewing the budget, not reviewing the movie, ” Bruckheimer told Yahoo U.K.-Ireland. “The audience doesn’t care what the budget is — they pay the same amount if it costs a dollar or 20 million dollars.”

“It’s unfortunate because the movie is a terrific movie, it’s a great epic film. It has lots of humor. Its one of those movies that whatever critics missed in it this time, they’ll review it in a few years and see that they made a mistake.”

Depp’s co-star, Armie Hammer, who played the title character in the $250 million film, echoed their sentiments.

“This is the deal with American critics: they’ve been gunning for our movie since it was shut down the first time,” Hammer said, “That’s when most of the critics wrote their initial reviews.”

Despite the objection of his publicist, the 26 year-old actor added:

“They tried to do the same thing with to ‘World War Z’, it didn’t work, the movie was successful. Instead they decided to slit the jugular of our movie.”

As of Aug. 3, “The Lone Ranger” has grossed $86 million at the U.S. box office with a 28% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes.

The Gore Verbinski-directed pic opens in the U.K. on Friday.


http://movies.yahoo.com/news/johnny-dep ... 54137.html


Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
With due respect to those involved (and really, the movie's not that bad), nobody gave a fuck what critics had to say about this movie.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Ken wrote:
With due respect to those involved (and really, the movie's not that bad), nobody gave a fuck what critics had to say about this movie.

Depp is so full of himself it's ridiculous, the film bombed because there wasn't much of an audience for it.


Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr