Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
THE LONE RANGER 
Gaffer

Post Re: THE LONE RANGER
Vexer wrote:
I actually thought The Tourist was one of his better performances because for once he wasn't trying too hard to be "quirky" I used to like him, though I thought he was getting stale even before he played Jack Sparrow, I think his decline started with Sleepy Hollow. Personally I think he's became a mostly one-dimensional actor and for many people like myself his antics have grown tiresome(Dark Shadows was just painful to watch because of how horrible he was) and I find most of his recent characters to be lifeLESS.

If you've lacked interest with his delivery since Sleepy Hollow, why have you continued watching his films? Are you a masochist? :?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 pm
Auteur

Blockbuster46 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I actually thought The Tourist was one of his better performances because for once he wasn't trying too hard to be "quirky" I used to like him, though I thought he was getting stale even before he played Jack Sparrow, I think his decline started with Sleepy Hollow. Personally I think he's became a mostly one-dimensional actor and for many people like myself his antics have grown tiresome(Dark Shadows was just painful to watch because of how horrible he was) and I find most of his recent characters to be lifeLESS.

If you've lacked interest with his delivery since Sleepy Hollow, why have you continued watching his films? Are you a masochist? :?

I've mostly seen them because my sister happens to like his films.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm
Director

That's one very unique view of his career trajectory, Vexer.

And of course I didn't count the second X-Files. It feels like an afterthought anyway.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Just got back from Lone Ranger....I liked it a bit more than JB did but not much. It has the exact same problem that the third Pirates movie had: great, ending action scene but you got to slog through 2 hours of lesser material to get there. Armie Hammer is quite good, the action is fine and there's some funny stuff but it's 40 minutes too long(seriously, the 1930's bits do not work) and Johnny Depp. It's not enough that Depp killed Tim burton's career with his Johnny Depp-ness, now he's killing off Gore Verbinski's career as well.

I would give it a very weak 3 stars, in between Iron Man 3 and World War Z for summer movies, a trip worthy of matinee but don't pay full price.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Blockbuster46 wrote:
Honestly I think most of Depp's recent films have been getting some kick back from critics because he overdid his stay with the Pirates franchise. Where before Depp was hailed by critics for his thoughtful performances with quirky characters, now everyone says he just 'plays Jack Sparrow.' Well I disagree with that. His particular style of quirky ticks and expressions were established long before the pirates movies ever came into play. So I think critics, including James here, take a vacation from reason and just broad stoke anything he does as a "Jack Sparrow" mime. I don't think he 'phones in' these performances as suggested. I think he gives them the same kind of delivery he's given all of his characters. I just think the Sparrow character became so iconic, it has overshadowed his ability to continue in a similar fashion. Critics now only see that one character. And that's unfortunate because he is a good actor. And no I don't like all of his selections. The Tourist didn't give him strong material to really develop his character. He seemed equally lacking in character material for the Rum Diaries. But I thought he was back in good form in Dark Shadows and I look forward to seeing him in the Lone Ranger. Is he too much of a method actor? Perhaps one could argue that. But when he takes on those quirky characters, I think he brings them to life as only HE can. And without his unique brand of delivery, these movies would not breath at all. I think people are simply done bestowing their love on Depp. So now he has to hunker down while people extract their pound of flesh for his success with the Pirates films.

I agree that the success of the Pirates franchise and Depp's association with the iconic role of Jack Sparrow has limited his ability to take on roles that isn't necessarily "quirky". That being said, if you look at his entire filmography he's certainly shown considerable range. In my personal opinion, one of his best performances was his portrayal of John Dillinger in Public Enemies, where he shone the screen with charisma and intensity. I wish Depp can someday take on more roles like this in the near future.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 am
Auteur

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Blockbuster46 wrote:
Honestly I think most of Depp's recent films have been getting some kick back from critics because he overdid his stay with the Pirates franchise. Where before Depp was hailed by critics for his thoughtful performances with quirky characters, now everyone says he just 'plays Jack Sparrow.' Well I disagree with that. His particular style of quirky ticks and expressions were established long before the pirates movies ever came into play. So I think critics, including James here, take a vacation from reason and just broad stoke anything he does as a "Jack Sparrow" mime. I don't think he 'phones in' these performances as suggested. I think he gives them the same kind of delivery he's given all of his characters. I just think the Sparrow character became so iconic, it has overshadowed his ability to continue in a similar fashion. Critics now only see that one character. And that's unfortunate because he is a good actor. And no I don't like all of his selections. The Tourist didn't give him strong material to really develop his character. He seemed equally lacking in character material for the Rum Diaries. But I thought he was back in good form in Dark Shadows and I look forward to seeing him in the Lone Ranger. Is he too much of a method actor? Perhaps one could argue that. But when he takes on those quirky characters, I think he brings them to life as only HE can. And without his unique brand of delivery, these movies would not breath at all. I think people are simply done bestowing their love on Depp. So now he has to hunker down while people extract their pound of flesh for his success with the Pirates films.

I agree that the success of the Pirates franchise and Depp's association with the iconic role of Jack Sparrow has limited his ability to take on roles that isn't necessarily "quirky". That being said, if you look at his entire filmography he's certainly shown considerable range. In my personal opinion, one of his best performances was his portrayal of John Dillinger in Public Enemies, where he shone the screen with charisma and intensity. I wish Depp can someday take on more roles like this in the near future.
Personally I found Depp to be very one-dimensional as Dillinger, he was largely overshadowed by Christian Bale(pretty much the only good thing about that mediocre film) if anything I hope he does more roles like The Tourist.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:33 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Personally I found Depp to be very one-dimensional as Dillinger, he was largely overshadowed by Christian Bale

Ironically I felt just the opposite. I felt Depp's Dillinger was better developed than Bale's underwritten Melvin Purvis. The movie was a few notches above mediocre. But it was another lesser effort from Michael Mann.

Blockbuster46 wrote:

Agreed to an extent. It's easy to forget that when he first came on the scene in the late 80s he was scene as one fo teh more promising character actors. In fact, I remember seeing him mentioned often in the same breath with Sean Penn. He can do quirky quite well and has range. But in some ways, the Pirates movies have led to what pretty much every actor fears: typecasting. The Rum Diary showed that he had more range than Jack Sparrow (in fact he was the best thing baout that entertaining but lightweight movie) and Dark Shadows was entertaining. However, looking back on it form the standpoint of a little over a year, it's easy to understand why a lot of people felt it not so much to be Jack Sparrow. But to be a sort of pro forma performance for Mr. Depp.

And Depp can do more than just quirky. Donnie Brasco and Blow prove that. One bit of advice I would give him: Take a break from working with Burton and Verbinski.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:17 pm
Director

...and it's a bomb. The Lone Rangerhas taken in less than $20 million in two days.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
...and it's a bomb. The Lone Rangerhas taken in less than $20 million in two days.

Wow that's bad! :lol: Looks like Depp isn't quite the golden ticket he once was, hopefully this will also mean that the Pirates franchise will finally come to an end.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:43 pm
Director

I just looked at Box Office Mojo, and The Lone Ranger is projected to make $50 million for its opening weekend. Dismal indeed, when this movie needs to make at least $500 million to turn any kind of profit.

Whoever greenlit this film should be fired. How the hell could it seem like a good idea to make a movie out of The Lone Ranger in 2013?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Based on JB's review and the pervasive negative reviews all across the criticsphere, I'll probably wait to watch this one in the comforts of my home. Question: Is anybody else bothered by Depp in the role of Tonto -all done up in "Indian-face," if you will? I understand he's a big box office draw and all (or perhaps not, as the box office results have displayed), so the rationale is understandable. But I can't but feel that they surely could have found a capable Native American actor?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I just looked at Box Office Mojo, and The Lone Ranger is projected to make $50 million for its opening weekend. Dismal indeed, when this movie needs to make at least $500 million to turn any kind of profit.

Whoever greenlit this film should be fired. How the hell could it seem like a good idea to make a movie out of The Lone Ranger in 2013?

And the Western genre hasn't historically performed well overseas. It's not looking like TLR will have a strong ride!

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:10 pm
Auteur

Taleswapper wrote:
Based on JB's review and the pervasive negative reviews all across the criticsphere, I'll probably wait to watch this one in the comforts of my home. Question: Is anybody else bothered by Depp in the role of Tonto -all done up in "Indian-face," if you will? I understand he's a big box office draw and all (or perhaps not, as the box office results have displayed), so the rationale is understandable. But I can't but feel that they surely could have found a capable Native American actor?

I don't think changing a character's race is always a bad thing, for example I can understand why Khan in ST: Into Darkness was played by a white actor instead of an actual Indian actor, as due to Khan's terrorist-like actions there would've been a LOT of unfortunate implications if they had gone the other way, so that change is somewhat understandable. I'm also fine with the race change of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, because his original characterization in the comics was a rather offensive oriental sterotype that studio execs would've never allowed today.

All that being said, it kinda looks and sounds like Depp's performance makes a mockery out of Native Americans, so this is one case where changing the character's race probably wasn't a good idea. I don't see why they couldn't have had Depp play the Ranger(he could've still found a way to work in his "crazy" shtick) and had Tonto played by an actor with an actual Native American background like say Adam Beach or Lou Diamond Phillips.

Last edited by Vexer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm
Director

Taleswapper wrote:

I'm reminded of what happened when Wild Wild West came out. I remember going with my father to see The Phantom Menace and a trailer for it aired. My dad's intial reaction was: "Jim West was white"

I had no problem with casting Will Smith as West. But the smart approach would have been (as has been noted) to completely disregard his race in the screenplay. That would've been better than those awful lynching jokes.

Yeah Wes Studi could've played Tonot quite well.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:

I don't think changing a character's race is always a bad thing, for example I can understand why Khan in ST: Into Darkness was played by a white actor instead of an actual Indian actor, as due to Khan's terrorist-like actions there would've been a LOT of unfortunate implications if they had gone the other way, so that change is somewhat understandable. I'm also fine with the race change of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, because his original characterization in the comics was a rather offensive oriental sterotype that studio execs would've never allowed today.

All that being said, it kinda looks and sounds like Depp's performance makes a mockery out of Native Americans, so this is one case where changing the character's race probably wasn't a good idea. I don't see why they couldn't have had Depp play the Ranger(he could've still found a way to work in his "crazy" shtick) and had Tonto played by an actor with an actual Native American background like say Adam Beach or Lou Diamond Phillips.

Not to get too nitpicky but there's a difference between changing a characters race and having a white actor playing a person of color. Big, big difference. And having just seen Little Big Man, it feels really disconcerting in this day and age to see a white actor playing a Native American.

I'm curious about one detail though. As someone who rights about queer characters in cinema, I couldn't help but notice that there appears to be a bad guy wearing a female bonnet. But given that this was a trailer it was hard to tell. Anyone care to clue me in since I might not be get around to seeing this anytime soon? Was the character actually one of the villains? Was the cross dressing extensive or did they just wear the bonnet for one scene?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

thered47 wrote:

I'm curious about one detail though. As someone who rights about queer characters in cinema, I couldn't help but notice that there appears to be a bad guy wearing a female bonnet. But given that this was a trailer it was hard to tell. Anyone care to clue me in since I might not be get around to seeing this anytime soon? Was the character actually one of the villains? Was the cross dressing extensive or did they just wear the bonnet for one scene?

Yes, that's one of the villains.
Yes and no on the crossdressing thing. Yeah, he always cross-dressed but he stole what he wore from the womanfolk. His reasoning was that it made him feel pretty and he liked pretty things.

Last edited by patrick on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:27 am
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Taleswapper wrote:

Not to get too nitpicky but there's a difference between changing a characters race and having a white actor playing a person of color. Big, big difference. And having just seen Little Big Man, it feels really disconcerting in this day and age to see a white actor playing a Native American.

I know that's what I was trying to say, I was cringing at Depp's scenes in the trailers.

BTW, have you seen the Spike Lee film "She Hate Me"? That film had a pretty offensive portrayal of homosexuality(basically the message was "all it takes is a man to cure a woman of her lesbianism) and it's easily Lee's worst film by a mile.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:15 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I could see doing it as a relatively low-budget film with a largely unknown cast. It's not a story that should need be so expensive that it has to gross $500M in order to make a profit. Done right, the $20M it took in its opening weekend should have been enough to recoup its costs.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:19 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I know that's what I was trying to say, I was cringing at Depp's scenes in the trailers.

BTW, have you seen the Spike Lee film "She Hate Me"? That film had a pretty offensive portrayal of homosexuality(basically the message was "all it takes is a man to cure a woman of her lesbianism) and it's easily Lee's worst film by a mile.

This is getting off topic, but I thought it was actually pretty sex positive, particularly given the way it ends. I didn't see anything about them being cured, I just interpreted the characters as being bisexual or at least having a fluid sexual orientation. Nothing that I recall from the film tries to condemn same sex attraction or suggest that gays and lesbians need curing. The lesbian characters were still present at the end and in a same sex relationship, just one that happened to now include a guy.

I did see it pretty early on when I started writing reviews, so maybe there were problematic elements I missed. Or maybe I'm just trying to overcompensate for the biphobia that is prevalent among gays and lesbians. I dunno, I just didn't have a problem with it.
-Jeremy

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Taleswapper wrote:

I'm not particularly bothered by Depp playing the role of Tonto as Depp is of Native American descent -- from what I've read, his maternal grandfather is a full-blooded Cherokee, and he frankly looks it with his dark hair, eyes and naturally tanned complexion.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next