Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am

FAST & FURIOUS 6 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: FAST & FURIOUS 6
Quote:
Muscleheads and muscle car fanatics deserve their own "Star Wars" or "Star Trek," I guess, and the Fast and the Furious movies seem to fit the bill. Just like those perennial sci-fi geekouts, this saga about super-heroic street racers is essentially about friendship. All the fancy nomenclature and delirious spectacle are just to help render the essential stuff in ways that won’t embarrass a juvenile audience.

I do like this quote from rogerebert.com

Quote:
Agreed, blaming the media is taking the easy way out, hell my cousin died in a car crash, but you don't see me blaming the franchise for her death.

Then I have to ask the question of why police forces in major cities go to the trouble of issuing a news release and diverting scarce resources just to police this activity this weekend?

Also why do ad companies and corporations waste so much money with celebrity endorsements of their products and outright product placement in movies if it has no effect on anyone? If media doesn't effect things how does the ultimate media creation like the completely talentless Kim Kardashian earn 100s of millions and becomes a celebrity by doing nothing but turning her 24hr party people lifestyle into a reality soap opera. I had one female coworker tell me she admires Kardashian and wants to be like her. Why do I see all the hipsters wear the same small hats that my dad wore in the early 60's or just outright try to dress like the guys in Mad Men? Naw we don't ape stuff we see in the media we're just too smart for that.

Last edited by oakenshield32 on Sun May 26, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 26, 2013 1:19 pm
Auteur

WTF do celebrity endorsements have to do with anything? :? Blaming the media is just pure laziness, plain and simple. :roll: Do you really think car crashes would dramatically decrease if these films didn't exist? Yeah right! :lol:

Sun May 26, 2013 1:24 pm
Second Unit Director

You say that without providing any kind of proof other than an emotional unfounded statement. The immense merchandising industry that George Lucas and Star Trek has built by people living and breathing those franchises would state otherwise. Grown adults walking around in Stormtrooper and Star Fleet outfits in public? Rooms full of action toys and other unnecessary and worthless stuff. Really.

Ryan Gosling recounting how a female fan dumped her husband because he could not build a treehouse like in The Notebook.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05 ... tionships/

A man confessing to police to making the murder of his girlfriend looking like a suicide after watching the Passion of the Christ.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4607592/ns/us ... on-christ/

The surge in people taking up archery as a sport and hobby after Hunger Games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/fashi ... y-hip.html

Sounds like the media just works fine in sending out messages and affecting culture.

Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 pm
Auteur

I hate Passion Of The Christ, but that man was obviously deranged and was bound to snap like that sooner or later.

Notebook, obviously the woman had some mental issues and even if she hadn't saw the film, probably would've done something similar.

Again, blaiming this series for causing car crashes is nonsense.

Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 pm
Second Unit Director

$98 million in three days... can you say, "Fast and Furious 7"?

Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 pm
Auteur

Taleswapper wrote:
$98 million in three days... can you say, "Fast and Furious 7"?

That's pretty awesome, Paramount must be pretty livid at Star Trek's opening weekend getting beaten. A 7th film was pretty much a foregone conclusion, since the script for one had already been written and a director has already been chosen.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:12 pm
Director

Quote:
Class prejudice would assume all the fans of FF6 are poor and all the critics of the movie are rich

No, just that the characters in Fast Furious began as poor guys from the hood, while Tony Stark was born a billionaire. The argument is simply that FF expresses lower class attitudes. I'm talking just about the movies here, not the people who see them.

Watched the first Fast/Furious. Pretty good movie.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Director

Quote:
$98 million in three days... can you say, "Fast and Furious 7

it releases 7/11/14

Sun May 26, 2013 8:26 pm
Director

I just read Tokyo Drift is really the 6th installment in terms of story chonology. Interesting. Kinda like Narnia.

Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
The surge in people taking up archery as a sport and hobby after Hunger Games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/fashi ... y-hip.html

Admittedly this is somewhat offtopic, but I wonder if the surge of interest in archery inspired from the Hunger Games will be sustained in the US and Canada, and whether this would lead over time to improved rankings or performance for the American and Canadian archery teams in the upcoming Olympics (a sport usually dominated by South Korea).

Mon May 27, 2013 2:14 pm
Producer

This looks halfway promising, even though I haven't seen the rest of the series. I like the Rock, Ludacris and even Vin Diesel, and I really like Michelle Rodriguez, who shouldn't be reduced to supporting roles.

Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am
Producer

The only thing I didn't like about this movie is The Rock's involvement, though cool, as nonetheless kind of forced Paul Walker to become third fiddle. The franchise use to be all about Dom and Brian. But Brian's kind of taken a back seat to Hobbs.

Other than that minor quibble, I LOVED this movie! It's exactly what I needed after the disappointment that was Star Trek Into Darkness! The climax on the airplane runaway is truly awesome!!!

My favorite of the franchise, followed by Fast & Furious (the 4th one) which this movie actually ties in with very nicely. Even bringing back a couple of characters from that movie. Of course, it also ties in nicely to Tokyo Drift.

Can't wait for Fast 7, especially after the "post" credit scene! 8-)

Tue May 28, 2013 4:22 am
Gaffer

Hi All,

Got a chance to see Fast 6 this past weekend.

Like James B and a few others, I've actually viewed the "Fast & Furious" series with a bit of trepidation and eye-rolling. :roll:

I saw Fast & Furious 1 way back in the day and thought it was surprisingly decent (not "all-time great" but solid). I was under the impression it was only about Hollywood's interpretation of "street racer / ricer / poser" culture with Neon Lights, Bling, and Spinners. :lol: But it was much more than that.

I skipped the rest of the series, especially when I read that Vin Diesel didn't come back for Part 2; and Part 2, 3... got bad reviews generally.

But seeing the buzz for Fast Five (2011), and even James B giving it 2.5 Stars, I got dragged into going with some friends and... LOVED IT! :D I was genuinely shocked.

It wasn't the greatest, but it was really fun.

So I was looking forward to Fast & Furious 6. I would say Fast 6 is fun, but I liked Fast Five better. I enjoyed the story and the heist / team coordination in Fast Five more than in F&F6. In this movie, it really did feel like a distillation into CRAZY, over-the-top Stunts ONLY (but thinking back on it, of course there were some plot development moments, etc., it just felt that way to me after it was all done).

I agree with James B in that I wish there were more character moments (like in Fast Five); here in Fast 6 I found less development with the other team members outside of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker and a bit from Michelle Rodriguez (and Luke Shaw of course). Everyone else felt like "2D caricatures" in a way.

However, the stunts and action sequences were *really* invigorating and truly over-the-top in a good way. It made the film a lot of fun. :mrgreen:

One thing I'd disagree with James B (and I usually agree with most of the reviews :), is that I found The Raid: Redemption (Indonesia) to be the "mindless entertainment" and Fast 6 to be much more entertaining in general. And this is coming from a HUGE Martial Arts Fan - I grew up with old-school Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Shaw Brothers, HK Cinema, etc. The Raid: Redemption had ZERO appeal for character development, and while I love the display of real Indonesian Silat fighting styles, I got literally bored to tears after 15 - 20 minutes. I would say Vin Diesel alone (and I'm no Vin fan), had more charisma and appeal (even in his limited dialogue) than the entire cast of The Raid.

Also, I would argue The Raid: Redemption had its share of ridiculousness: Having someone continue to fight (even more energetically) after being stabbed in the JUGULAR VEIN with a Glass Tube, was just too absurd for me to continue watching without laughing and giving up on the film. :lol: :roll:

Fast & Furious 6 was lots of fun! :)

Rating: 2.5 Stars (out of 4)

Wed May 29, 2013 1:56 pm
Second Unit Director

This was a lot of fun. So, so, so, stupid..but a lot of fun. Solid popcorn entertainment.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:07 am
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:

Then I have to ask the question of why police forces in major cities go to the trouble of issuing a news release and diverting scarce resources just to police this activity this weekend?

Also why do ad companies and corporations waste so much money with celebrity endorsements of their products and outright product placement in movies if it has no effect on anyone? If media doesn't effect things how does the ultimate media creation like the completely talentless Kim Kardashian earn 100s of millions and becomes a celebrity by doing nothing but turning her 24hr party people lifestyle into a reality soap opera. I had one female coworker tell me she admires Kardashian and wants to be like her. Why do I see all the hipsters wear the same small hats that my dad wore in the early 60's or just outright try to dress like the guys in Mad Men? Naw we don't ape stuff we see in the media we're just too smart for that.

No one can really deny that "the media" (by which I would include newspapers, TV shows, films, etc.) does not influence the overall culture or the specific fads or fashions of individuals within a given culture. The key question is whether or not films or TV shows should share the responsibility for the consequences of the actions of people.

In life there are no easy answers, but I for one believe that we as individuals possess "free will", that is, the power to make our own decisions, and therefore we as individuals are responsible for the consequences of our own actions. To take the example you had cited earlier, if someone is killed in a car crash due to another individual(s) engaging in street racing, the only people who should be held responsible are those who engaged in the street racing.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 am