Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm

MUD 
Site Admin

Post MUD
Click here for the review of Mud

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: MUD
I loved McConaughey in Killer Joe, so I'm definitely interested to see him here as well. Ten years ago, who would've guessed his appearance in a movie meant it was something serious moviegoers should look forward to?

I also wish Ebert had lived to see this movie. Given his love for Huckleberry Finn (even though he used it to slam video games), his review would've been a real treat to read.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 pm
Gaffer

It's really nice to see McConaughey giving good to great performances these days. As much as his rom coms were pedestrian, I always thought he had talent.
Also it's always refreshing to see an actor who has proven she has talent and then squander the opportunity to show it, ever so often showcase her talent. I speak of Witherspoon.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:05 pm
Director

This is definitely worth seeing. Not as fantastic as "Take Shelter" (my favorite film of 2011); it's much more conventional than that one, but still a solid effort.

Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 pm
Gaffer

I finally got a chance to see MUD last week as well.

When I first saw the movie poster / marketing image, I had zero interest (even though I like Matthew McConaughey in his earlier efforts). But thanks to James B's great review, I wanted to give it a shot.

I'm glad I did. :) This was one of the more surprising, genuine, earnest films I've seen this year. I don't remember much from the Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn novels by Mark Twain. I remember I liked them when I read them back in Jr. High.

That being said, a modern remake sounded really intriguing, and I thought the young actors portraying Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn did a great job, as did Matthew M. And I loved the "Southern Gothic" atmosphere that James B mentions.

Enjoyable. :)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 am