Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:15 pm

TRANCE 
Site Admin

Post TRANCE
Click here for the review of Trance

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: TRANCE
Well, looks great to me. I definitely will look forward to it.

Looking forward to your tribute to Roger Ebert this weekend, James.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am
Director

Quote:
The MPAA has accorded her work in Trance with the odd descriptor "graphic nudity"

Well, Rosario Dawson did shave down there for this movie, so I think the MPAA's logic is that her visible genitalia is more "graphic" than bare breasts or buns. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Somehow Rosario Dawson's performing "graphic nudity" makes me much more interested in this film. Shocking, I know. Also her appearance at all (and the commercials I've seen for this definitely give the impression that her performance "smolders") is much welcome to me. She hasn't done much in the past few years and she's great in every role of hers I've seen. Hopefully there's more to come.

James' references to Inception and Shutter Island make me wonder if the film would have been better if Leonardo DiCaprio had been cast in the lead LOL. Seriously though, McAvoy is a respectable actor, but definitely a step below upper tier.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 pm
Second Unit Director

It starts out well as heist movie but despite all the fancy camera work and editing by Danny Boyle,he can't hide the fact that it is a big pile of hooey. Reminds me more of those silly erotic thrillers from the 80's just without Shannon Tweed or Sharon Stone. Rosario Dawson's character seems to be a cross between Mata Hari and Gandalf in the way she can magically make men do things for her but she is no Catherine Trammell. Vincent Cassel though is real good here and he is always fun to watch especially in Mesrine where he really goes for it as a gangster.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 pm
Director

Saw it today. A little underwhelmed as well. Rosario Dawson's Elizabeth is the most interesting character in the movie (with or without the full-frontal nudity) and she steals the show from her male co-stars, but I found it difficult to care about Frank and Simon and whether or not they come up with the painting. The movie's big reveal as to what was really happening left me a bit indifferent. It's not as surprising and dramatic as the filmmakers seem to think it is.

Also, go figure Dustin gave this 4 stars. Dumbfounded he would lap this up but dislike Inception and Shutter Island so much.

Admittedly, the movie itself is hard to think about right now because 15 min after it ended, I heard about the Boston Marathon explosions. Unfortunately, TRANCE will be forever connected with that.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm
Second Unit Director

28 Days Later music reigns in this movie. James was spot in his review....

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Saw it today. A little underwhelmed as well. Rosario Dawson's Elizabeth is the most interesting character in the movie (with or without the full-frontal nudity) and she steals the show from her male co-stars, but I found it difficult to care about Frank and Simon and whether or not they come up with the painting. The movie's big reveal as to what was really happening left me a bit indifferent. It's not as surprising and dramatic as the filmmakers seem to think it is.

Also, go figure Dustin gave this 4 stars. Dumbfounded he would lap this up but dislike Inception and Shutter Island so much.

Admittedly, the movie itself is hard to think about right now because 15 min after it ended, I heard about the Boston Marathon explosions. Unfortunately, TRANCE will be forever connected with that.

I can fully understand why he didn't like those films as I didn't either, I hope this film will be more "imaginative" with it's central idea then those two were.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I can fully understand why he didn't like those films as I didn't either, I hope this film will be more "imaginative" with it's central idea then those two were.

Go for it. I'm sure it's playing somewhere near you. Not an outright "bad" movie so much as it is an interesting failure. Boyle has an awesome, immensely appealing style, but it works a lot better with a more human story, like he did with Slumdog Millionaire.

Also, I saw three movies in two days. My presence in the forums will increase dramatically. I'd recommend checking out 42 and The Place Beyond the Pines. Straightforward stories, but lots of heart.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Go for it. I'm sure it's playing somewhere near you. Not an outright "bad" movie so much as it is an interesting failure. Boyle has an awesome, immensely appealing style, but it works a lot better with a more human story, like he did with Slumdog Millionaire.

Also, I saw three movies in two days. My presence in the forums will increase dramatically. I'd recommend checking out 42 and The Place Beyond the Pines. Straightforward stories, but lots of heart.

Maybe i'll see Pines, but from the reviews, 42 sounds like one of those dime-a-dozen biopics that overuses emotional manipulation to tell it's story, plus i'm not a sports fan, so I think i'll pass on seeing that one.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Maybe i'll see Pines, but from the reviews, 42 sounds like one of those dime-a-dozen biopics that overuses emotional manipulation to tell it's story, plus i'm not a sports fan, so I think i'll pass on seeing that one.

My dad said Pines was very disturbing. Gotta be less disturbing than reading that Vexer will like Trance better than Inception.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 am
Auteur

mrguinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:

My dad said Pines was very disturbing. Gotta be less disturbing than reading that Vexer will like Trance better than Inception.

Yawn :roll:

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm