Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 am

OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL 
Gaffer

Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
I have been hoping for a movie adaptation of Wicked, this does not really fit that role, so I will probably only see this in the theater if we want to treat the kids to a movie out (which gets expensive with three kids). Now, if Wicked ever does get made into a movie I hope it gets well cast.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Was I the only one who somehow missed that Sam Raimi directed this film in the marketing? I guess he really is considered an unmarketable name now. My interest is piqued, can't say I'll go out of my way to see it, but it'll be one to look out for if I feel like checking out a movie soon.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm
Cinematographer

Gwaihir wrote:
Was I the only one who somehow missed that Sam Raimi directed this film in the marketing? I guess he really is considered an unmarketable name now. My interest is piqued, can't say I'll go out of my way to see it, but it'll be one to look out for if I feel like checking out a movie soon.

At least one of the trailers has "From the director of the Spiderman Trilogy" in big bold letters, so he hasn't been left out. Maybe he asked for his actual name to be excluded because this is another spring film that will likely not do much.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 pm
Site Admin

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

At least one of the trailers has "From the director of the Spiderman Trilogy" in big bold letters, so he hasn't been left out. Maybe he asked for his actual name to be excluded because this is another spring film that will likely not do much.

Looks likely to approach $175M domestic and $400M worldwide. That's pretty impressive.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Gwaihir wrote:

Considering most casual moviegoers went into the "Spider-Man" 1.0 movies not giving 2 shits about who directed them, and that the "Evil Dead" movies are still very much cult movies, it's really not THAT surprising.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Thought the movie was wonderful, and there's a very good chance I'll be going back for a second dose. The ending was spectacular.

WARNING: If you liked the movie, do NOT stay for the credits. The pathetic throw-in Mariah Carey song ruins EVERY emotion generated by the aura the movie creates.

As for a remake of the original... Do it already! It begs to be redone!

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 am
Assistant Director

mrguinness wrote:
Thought the movie was wonderful, and there's a very good chance I'll be going back for a second dose. The ending was spectacular.

WARNING: If you liked the movie, do NOT stay for the credits. The pathetic throw-in Mariah Carey song ruins EVERY emotion generated by the aura the movie creates.

As for a remake of the original... Do it already! It begs to be redone!

Yeah, I thought Judy Garland was over the top, but man can she sing!

Still, Mila Kunis beats her hands down, and not for the better. Razzie, anyone?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Still, Mila Kunis beats her hands down, and not for the better. Razzie, anyone?

I think the makeup let Mila down a bit. Her face should have been more hideous, similar to how
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Evanora ended up in the end.

Her part also wasn't written so well. I actually think Sam Raimi deserves the backlash this movie gets, but all that being said, I still loved it completely!

The China Doll cgi was amazing throughout the movie.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am
Second Unit Director

A little late to the party, but, finally got to see this movie. I was a bit disappointed that a friend of mine revealed to me before hand that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Mila Kunis was the wicked witch. But really, it was pretty obviously being set up that way pretty early on, so big loss.
. Also Entertainment Weekly ruined the Bruce Campbell cameo for me. Half the fun of Sam Raimi movies these days is waiting for the inevitable cameo and thinking, "ahhhh, THERE he is! YAY!" And in this case it would've been all the more fun because of the makeup. Curse you, EW!

I know shortly after James' review, I posted that I had doubts about James Franco in the title role, but I admit he did surprise a little bit. He especially sold me in one of the opening scenes where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the little girl was pleading with him to make her walk again.
I had a lump in my throat during that entire scene. Or perhaps that is more a testament to the effective work of the young actress, Joey King.

But all in all, a very enjoyable movie. Well worth my money spent, and it did a wonderful job setting up The Wizard of Oz.. Of course, it also it did have its share of problems - mainly a VERY predictable ending. But it's a prequel, whaddaya expect?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm