Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:18 am

FRUITVALE STATION 
Site Admin

Post FRUITVALE STATION
Click here for the review of Fruitvale Station

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: FRUITVALE STATION
James,

Since you mentioned the George Zimmerman trial verdict, what do you think of the verdict?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm
Assistant Director

Glad to see a strongly positive review from JB. This is my favorite movie of 2013 thus far, the only one I'd give a four-star rating to, and has a pretty good shot at being No. 1 when all is said and done. Had a profound effect on me.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 pm

If the guy really was a drug dealer in real life, then I have no sympathy.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 am

JayBob wrote:

According to both the film and the Wikipedia article on the events behind the film, Oscar Grant had already served his time in prison for drug dealing and was on parole and "doing well" by his family's attorney (which I took to mean that he was trying to turn his life around) at the time of the incident. Furthermore, his past criminal record is irrelevant to the shooting since Grant was unarmed and the officer involved wasn't aware of his past record.

At any rate, just because he happened to be a drug dealer in the past doesn't mean that it somehow makes him unable to change, nor does it make his death any less tragic for his family.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 am

I don't know, I have trouble with movies like this, where you already know the ending and then you spend two hours getting to know and like a character just to watch him get senselessly killed. Real life has trouble enough of its own. I mean, it's one thing if you really like the character and he dies for a purpose, like Michael Pena's character in End of Watch. Then at least you can take comfort in their heroism. But just watching someone you've grown to like get senselessly shot? Why would I pay money for that?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 pm
Director

its going from 34 to 1,064 screens this weekend. surprising move, we'll see if it pans out.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:08 pm

calvero wrote:
its going from 34 to 1,064 screens this weekend. surprising move, we'll see if it pans out.

I noticed that. My nearest showing is 30 miles away. I think it would be worth the drive though. I'm in blockbuster overload. I need something with substance to help add a little diversity to my summer diet!

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:34 pm
Producer

This looks like the type of film that will play much better at home then at a theater, wouldn't want to risk the dramatic moments being interrupted by someone talking on their cell.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Assistant Director

Machiara wrote:
I don't know, I have trouble with movies like this, where you already know the ending and then you spend two hours getting to know and like a character just to watch him get senselessly killed. Real life has trouble enough of its own. I mean, it's one thing if you really like the character and he dies for a purpose, like Michael Pena's character in End of Watch. Then at least you can take comfort in their heroism. But just watching someone you've grown to like get senselessly shot? Why would I pay money for that?

Because this movie tells a story that deserves to be dramatized. And if we don't support movies with substance and a message like this one, we won't get more like them. Does knowing beforehand how a Shakespearean tragedy ends rob the play of its impact?

I can understand not wanting to pony up some money for it, though. Some may not want to watch it simply because the subject matter hits too close to home.

Vexer wrote:
This looks like the type of film that will play much better at home then at a theater, wouldn't want to risk the dramatic moments being interrupted by someone talking on their cell.

At the art house theater in Bethesda, MD I went to, everyone behaved well. But in a multiplex? Yeah, you might not be so lucky. I recommend a matinee.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:47 pm
Director

**** and a definite spot on teh year end top ten.

It's like a punch to the gut.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 pm

KWRoss wrote:
At the art house theater in Bethesda, MD I went to, everyone behaved well.

I saw it at the same theater!

I was a little disappointed in it, honestly. I don't think it will end up in my top ten of the year. It was very good, but I think it would have had more impact on me if it hadn't known how it was going to end. In that sense, I agree with Machiara.

I was also surprisingly disappointed with Octavia Spencer's acting. Her delivery in some scenes was just not... very good.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:26 am

StatGuy2000 wrote:
JayBob wrote:

According to both the film and the Wikipedia article on the events behind the film, Oscar Grant had already served his time in prison for drug dealing and was on parole and "doing well" by his family's attorney (which I took to mean that he was trying to turn his life around) at the time of the incident. Furthermore, his past criminal record is irrelevant to the shooting since Grant was unarmed and the officer involved wasn't aware of his past record.

At any rate, just because he happened to be a drug dealer in the past doesn't mean that it somehow makes him unable to change, nor does it make his death any less tragic for his family.

Yeah you're right. I guess I was offended because I took it to mean they made it a big deal to show him as a drug dealer to "normalise" him or something like that. Like his drug dealing is how his an everyman or whatever. I've been in a family that's been affected by drugs. And I've meet and spoken to drug dealers, they're not nice guys and they're not made that way because of the "unfairness of the establishment" crap that a lot of middle class liberals.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm
Producer

JayBob wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
JayBob wrote:

Yeah you're right. I guess I was offended because I took it to mean they made it a big deal to show him as a drug dealer to "normalise" him or something like that. Like his drug dealing is how his an everyman or whatever. I've been in a family that's been affected by drugs. And I've meet and spoken to drug dealers, they're not nice guys and they're not made that way because of the "unfairness of the establishment" crap that a lot of middle class liberals.

Though demonizing drug dealers dosen't really help much either despite what conservatives would lead you to believe.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Vexer wrote:
JayBob wrote:
Though demonizing drug dealers dosen't really help much either despite what conservatives would lead you to believe.

I don't need to demonize them. They do that to themselves pretty easily. And I'm no conservative and my opinions are come from personal experience with them. But hey, maybe drug dealers are different in America than over here.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 am
Producer

JayBob wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JayBob wrote:

I don't need to demonize them. They do that to themselves pretty easily. And I'm no conservative and my opinions are come from personal experience with them. But hey, maybe drug dealers are different in America than over here.

In some states Marijuana is legal, and in those states dealers actually deliver door-to-door.

Over here it's usually not the dealers you worry about, rather it's the people who are supplying them that are the real concern.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am