Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
SKYFALL 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: SKYFALL
nitrium wrote:
Ken wrote:
You've already got about 20 movies that fit that bill. Why do you need another?

Well because there are literally hundreds of films that are like this already! Why call it "James Bond" at all? Just build the total non-James Bond IP that is Skyfall into another franchise, and leave genuine-"James Bond" the fuck alone. Skyfall is just cashing in on the James Bond brand, and misses everything that quintessentially makes James Bond, James Bond. They could, for example, just have called it 24: The Movie starring Kiefer Sutherland and I'd have been fine with this.

Did you watch the same movie I did? Skyfall had a more indepth understanding about Bond than many a Bond film in a long time. That it didn't lazily pander to what fans expected is a good thing. It understood what Bond was about, but skewed it through a modern lens, effectively dragging the classic franchise into a new and exciting future.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 am
Assistant Director

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Did you watch the same movie I did?

Apparently not. What I watched was a movie that clearly wasn't in the spirit of any of its predecessors, forcefully shoehorned into a franchise where it doesn't belong. At all.
Here's the "honest" trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWfg__wKSY
That basically summarizes my personal view of this so called "Bond" film.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm
Director

Quote:
A few interesting tidbits: No Bond film has ever been nominated for a major Oscar. There have been a smattering of technical nominations and even a few wins

Skyfall with 2 Oscars passes Goldfinger & Thunderball(one win each) as most successful Bond at the Oscars.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm
Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
A few interesting tidbits: No Bond film has ever been nominated for a major Oscar. There have been a smattering of technical nominations and even a few wins

Skyfall with 2 Oscars passes Goldfinger & Thunderball(one win each) as most successful Bond at the Oscars.

Kinda odd how this was the very first Bond theme song to actually win -- let alone only the fourth to be nominated in the Best Original Song category ("Live and Let Die," "Nobody Does It Better" and "For Your Eyes Only" being the others). :?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It's official, Mendes will not be directing Bond 24:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36712

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am
Site Admin

Alex wrote:
It's official, Mendes will not be directing Bond 24:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36712

Maybe they can lure John Glen out of retirement. :)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

I was on another forum and someone mentioned Joe Wright. That seems like the best idea for directing a blockbuster film since they gave the helm of Batman films to Nolan.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:54 pm
Producer

Master Virgo wrote:
I was on another forum and someone mentioned Joe Wright. That seems like the best idea for directing a blockbuster film since they gave the helm of Batman films to Nolan.

Joe Wright would be an awesome choice. He proved with Hanna that he can handle action very well. Haven't seen Anna Karenina but he's a great filmmaker. Loved Atonement.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm
Auteur

I'd be interested to see J.J. Abrams do a Bond film, he impressed me with MI:III. Bryan Singer and Justin Lin would also be interesting choices.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I'd be interested to see J.J. Abrams do a Bond film, he impressed me with MI:III. Bryan Singer and Justin Lin would also be interesting choices.

They are all busy currently busy on other projects. Though I suppose Lin is a possibility.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

They are all busy currently busy on other projects. Though I suppose Lin is a possibility.

Justin Lin doing a non-Fast and Furious movie? That's crazy talk.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm
Producer

patrick wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Already gonna happen. He recently signed on to direct this adaptation of a series of novels, the first of which won't come out until 2014. So Lin has this, but I could see this being pushed back for him to do a Bond movie.

Star Was and X-Men, on the other hand, most definitely won't.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 pm
Director

patrick wrote:

Indeed. It's easy to forget that Lin made his debut with a pretty good dramatic film (Better Luck Tomorrow). In some ways, his career descent has been a lot quicker than John Singleton's. Singleton managed to make a few more pretty good films that meant something (Higher Learning, Rosewood, Baby Boy) before he became a director for hire. After Beter Luck, Lin did Annapolis before landing in the Fast And Furious safety net.

I'd like to see Danny Boyle tackle Bond.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:10 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
patrick wrote:

Indeed. It's easy to forget that Lin made his debut with a pretty good dramatic film (Better Luck Tomorrow). In some ways, his career descent has been a lot quicker than John Singleton's. Singleton managed to make a few more pretty good films that meant something (Higher Learning, Rosewood, Baby Boy) before he became a director for hire. After Beter Luck, Lin did Annapolis before landing in the Fast And Furious safety net.

I'd like to see Danny Boyle tackle Bond.

Nothing wrong with a safety net, Lin does action better then most directors, one person that I hope never directs a Bond film is Paul Greengrass. It probably won't happen, but it would be interesting if Michael Bay tackled a Bond film.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
one person that I hope never directs a Bond film is Paul Greengrass. It probably won't happen, but it would be interesting if Michael Bay tackled a Bond film.

If Greengrass tackled one, we'd be struggling to see Bond over the shaky cam. In some ways, I wonder if John Singleton might be a good choice.

Steven Spielberg came close to helming The Spy Who Loved Me.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
one person that I hope never directs a Bond film is Paul Greengrass. It probably won't happen, but it would be interesting if Michael Bay tackled a Bond film.

If Greengrass tackled one, we'd be struggling to see Bond over the shaky cam. In some ways, I wonder if John Singleton might be a good choice.

Steven Spielberg came close to helming The Spy Who Loved Me.

I wouldn't mind Singleton doing a Bond film, he's never had a problem with directing action scenes. Peter Berg wouldn't be a bad choice either, yeah he directed Battleship, but he also directed The Kingdom, which is a damn good film and it's a shame hardly anyone seems to remember it.

If John Woo ever goes back to Hollywood, he'd be a top pick, and there's also Brad Bird, Len Wiseman, Russell Mulcahy and Paul W.S. Anderson. If Tony Scott were still alive, I would've also put him up as a potential pick.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Director

No American has ever directed a Bond film.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm
Auteur

There's also John McTiernan(if he ever gets out of prison), Joss Whedon, Walter Hill, Brett Ratner, Andrew Davis and Sam Raimi(I would also say Richard Donner, but he's too old at this point). If you insist on not using an American director, then I would recommend Renny Harlin or Paul Verhoeven.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm
Second Unit Director

I actually enjoy Justin Lin but I think he'd be a terrible choice for Bond.

Whoever is the next director, the only thing that would excite me is someone who is totally out of their element. Brad Bird, Peter Berg, Singer, Nolan, Abrams, Whedon, or (God help us all) Ratner or Bay would be terribly uninteresting to me. I've heard Boyle thrown around and that's intriguing. Personally I'd love to see Kenneth Branagh or Alfonso Cuaron take it on.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:11 pm
Auteur

Some more choices:
Stephen Herek
Les Mayfield
Dennis Dugan
Roger Donaldson
David Ayer
F Gary Gray
Rob Cohen
Roland Emmerich
Antoine Fuqua
Guillermo Del Toro
David S Goyer
Stephen Sommers
David Yates
Peter Hyams
Doug Liman
McG
Tim Story
Bryan DePalma
Jonathon Mostow
Neveldine/Taylor
Corey Yuen
Olivier Megaton
Louis Leterrier
John Moore
Len Wiseman
James Cameron(if he finds the time)
Ridley Scott
Robert Rodriguez
Quentin Tarantino

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next