Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
SKYFALL 
Director

Post Re: SKYFALL
Quote:
I'm thinking she'll be nominated and win for LES MIS. She's spectacular.

As for Lead Actress, Lawrence might get a challenge from Naomi Watts. Also Jessica Chastain.

Rachel Weisz received the Best Actress award from the NY Film Critics today(for "The Deep Blue Sea")

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Site Admin

Thom20 wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:

As for Lead Actress, Lawrence might get a challenge from Naomi Watts. Also Jessica Chastain.

Are you thinking Lawrence will be up for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, rather than THE HUNGER GAMES? THE HUNGER GAMES doesn't seem to be the type of film that gets major nominations, unless the field is weak.

Definitely SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. No chance for THE HUNGER GAMES, although her participation in that will help her exposure.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Skyfall has become the highest grossing film ever in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20605962

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 am

Ken wrote:
Just saw it. The tagline should be "We brought Roger Deakins to Shanghai and the Scottish highlands and gave him a camera. You're welcome."

You said it, Ken! Roger Deakins is my favorite cinematographer these days (if only because I haven't seen any Christopher Doyle's movies in a long time). Deakins should get a lifetime achievement award for this film alone. Stunning, stunning work throughout. Hiring Deakins was the best decision Sam Mendes made in making the movie.

Cinematography aside, I didn't love the movie, but I did like it very much. Some of the computer stuff was just laughable. Hacking is rarely represented accurately in movies, but Skyfall was egregiously bad, I thought. That's just a minor nit, but I am a computer professional, so it kind of stuck out like a sore thumb.

I also have this complaint:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sévérine's death was poorly handled as well. It was sort of off screen? It looked like it was edited out, perhaps in order to get a PG-13 rating. In any case, she was killed off too soon and with little regard. That's true of most Bond girls, of course, but I always hope for better.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm
Cinematographer

Darth Ed wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sévérine's death was poorly handled as well. It was sort of off screen? It looked like it was edited out, perhaps in order to get a PG-13 rating. In any case, she was killed off too soon and with little regard. That's true of most Bond girls, of course, but I always hope for better.

It's not exactly the first time this has happened in Bond films, and it's not like she was ever to be anything more than a plot device. I'm starting to wonder if the main complaint here is that she wasn't given enough screen time because she's considered to be more attractive physically than Eve (Naomie Harris).

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Gaffer

Darth Ed
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I don't understand your post. Severine was shot right in front of us at the abandoned island. She got pretty good screen time for a Bond girl. Club meet, junk shower scene and then killed on the island

I did like the movie a lot - but I saw it in IMAX which helped on some of the slower parts. Particularly the Skyfall "getting ready scenes" near the end.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 pm

sjankis630 wrote:
Darth Ed
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I don't understand your post. Severine was shot right in front of us at the abandoned island. She got pretty good screen time for a Bond girl. Club meet, junk shower scene and then killed on the island

I did like the movie a lot - but I saw it in IMAX which helped on some of the slower parts. Particularly the Skyfall "getting ready scenes" near the end.

As I recall, having only seen the movie once...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not sure how I can explain it any clearer, but I'll try. You see Silva aim his gun and fire. She's entirely off-screen at that point. You never actually see her get shot or die. 30-60 seconds later, you can make her out in the background behind Silva while he's talking to Bond. She's almost completely out of focus, and I could barely make her out. She was slumped. It wasn't even clear to me she was dead. Maybe that was intentional, but I doubt it. It just seemed like poor editing, like something was cut.

You're right that she gets plenty of screen time "for a Bond girl." But that's faint praise, I feel.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Darth Ed wrote:
sjankis630 wrote:
Darth Ed
[Reveal] Spoiler:

As I recall, having only seen the movie once...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not sure how I can explain it any clearer, but I'll try. You see Silva aim his gun and fire. She's entirely off-screen at that point. You never actually see her get shot or die. 30-60 seconds later, you can make her out in the background behind Silva while he's talking to Bond. She's almost completely out of focus, and I could barely make her out. She was slumped. It wasn't even clear to me she was dead. Maybe that was intentional, but I doubt it. It just seemed like poor editing, like something was cut.

You're right that she gets plenty of screen time "for a Bond girl." But that's faint praise, I feel.

Poor editing, or maybe
[Reveal] Spoiler:
we-need-to-show-Silva-shoot-a-woman-in-the-head-but-still-get-a-PG-13-rating editing. A shot to the body could have been shown, minus blood as always, but a shot to the head is tricky in PG-13.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm
Cinematographer

Darth Ed wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

So, you see Silva point his gun and fire, then see the body slumped over a few shots later and you need more to know she's dead? It's implied by what we've seen that she's dead. It's an incredibly common tactic in film, and is a more a mark of good, concise filmmaking than anything else. If it wasn't clear to you that she was dead, then I don't really know what to tell you.

Darth Ed wrote:

But...she's a Bond girl. How is it faint praise?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm

PeachyPete wrote:
So, you see Silva point his gun and fire, then see the body slumped over a few shots later and you need more to know she's dead? It's implied by what we've seen that she's dead. It's an incredibly common tactic in film, and is a more a mark of good, concise filmmaking than anything else. If it wasn't clear to you that she was dead, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I wasn't asking you to tell me anything. I gave my opinion that the scene was poorly edited perhaps to get a PG-13. Are you saying you thought that scene was well edited or do you just want to mock me for being momentarily confused due to how the scene is edited?

PeachyPete wrote:
But...she's a Bond girl. How is it faint praise?

I prefer the few Bond films which have fully developed Bond girls who stick around for more than 10 minutes of the movie. YMMV.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm
Cinematographer

Darth Ed wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I wasn't asking you to tell me anything. I gave my opinion that the scene was poorly edited perhaps to get a PG-13. Are you saying you thought that scene was well edited or do you just want to mock me for being momentarily confused due to how the scene is edited?

Whoa. Neither one. I was pointing out that it isn't poorly edited so much as it relies on implication, which is a completely viable tactic to use in filmmaking. I mean, a slumped over body that's just been shot = dead in virtually every movie ever made. I don't understand why someone would need a movie to provide more information than that to a character that's not terribly important to the story.

No need to get defensive. It's an internet forum where people exchange opinions. By offering yours up you willingly subject it to criticism. I think your criticism of the scene in question is misguided at best.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:23 am
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Darth Ed wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

It's not exactly the first time this has happened in Bond films, and it's not like she was ever to be anything more than a plot device. I'm starting to wonder if the main complaint here is that she wasn't given enough screen time because she's considered to be more attractive physically than Eve (Naomie Harris).

I find Harris more attractive.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm
Producer

Seconded. Not that either of them is unattractive, but I greatly look forward to seeing more of Ms. Moneypenny in future Bond flicks.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34 pm
Director

Quote:
Considering that the Best Picture category has been widened, a nomination is likely. Best Director is possible given that it's Mendes, but I'd say that's a longshot. No Best Actor or Actress, but Dame Judi could have a shot at Best Supporting Actress.

based on the awards season so far, it seems likely it will be shut out from any major Oscar noms.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:34 pm
Director

well 5 noms for Skyfall, a new Bond record. Score, Song, Cinematography, Sound Editing & Sound Mixing.

No Best Pic(got a PGA nom)
No Best Supporting Actor(Bardem got a SAG nom)
No Best Supporting Actress(Dench got a Bafta nom)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

I just hope Roger Deakins gets the nod for Cinematography. I can't think of anyone more deserving in the category in many years. This is Deakins's 9th Oscar nomination; he hasn't won yet.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I quite enjoyed the film except for one thing:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I would have liked a better confrontation between Bond and Silva. The ending was pretty anti climatic after all that boasting Silva did the first time they meet.

This is something that at least Goldeneye got right.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:13 am
Director

Saw this last night. IMO a very middling entry. It just didn't feel very James Bond to me at all - no cool gadgets, no proper bond girl, lame villain with no ambition (a proper Bond villain wants to "rule the world"), just a single international location (I think?), and the cherry on the cake, a sulky out of shape James Bond. It basically got just about everything wrong in so far as "James Bond" is concerned: Skyfall is more Jack Bauer than James Bond. Still solid albeit generic entertainment. 6/10.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm
Producer

You've already got about 20 movies that fit that bill. Why do you need another?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
You've already got about 20 movies that fit that bill. Why do you need another?

Well because there are literally hundreds of films that are like this already! Why call it "James Bond" at all? Just build the total non-James Bond IP that is Skyfall into another franchise, and leave genuine-"James Bond" the fuck alone. Skyfall is just cashing in on the James Bond brand, and misses everything that quintessentially makes James Bond, James Bond. They could, for example, just have called it 24: The Movie starring Kiefer Sutherland and I'd have been fine with this.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next