Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

TAKEN 2 
Site Admin

Post TAKEN 2
Click here for the review of Taken 2

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: TAKEN 2
No surprises here. Now here's to hoping that Argo will be as awesome as we're all hoping and expecting it to be. It's a shame about Besson though. He really did start his American career with much promise. The Professional remains one of my favorites and Nikita, while not quite as powerful, was still a pretty stylish white-knuckle thriller. I guess he did what many promising passionate filmmakers do after they've been in the business a while: he simply got lazier and lazier with the addition of each zero behind his check. Shame!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am
oafolay wrote:
No surprises here. Now here's to hoping that Argo will be as awesome as we're all hoping and expecting it to be. It's a shame about Besson though. He really did start his American career with much promise. The Professional remains one of my favorites and Nikita, while not quite as powerful, was still a pretty stylish white-knuckle thriller. I guess he did what many promising passionate filmmakers do after they've been in the business a while: he simply got lazier and lazier with the addition of each zero behind his check. Shame!

I still like Besson's output and while I didn't like this film quite as much as Colombiana or Transporter 3, it was still a decent enough timewaster that I didn't feel ripped off, and Neeson didn't look like he was phoning it in to me.

Also, Ebert surprisingly enough gave this film a positive review.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121003/REVIEWS/121009988

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:31 pm
"Neeson's recent resume reminds me of Gene Hackman's in the '80s and '90s, when he accepted nearly every role presented to him. Although Hackman is rightly remembered as a good actor, he appeared in a lot of schlock. But, because bad movies often pay well for the participation of respected talent, he reaped the benefits and has been able to enjoy a long and comfortable retirement."

Wouldn't Robert De Niro from late 90's to present be a better person to compare Neeson to than Gene Hackman in this case? I mean De Niro hasn't been that discriminating when it comes to scripts these days.

Whatever good films he's done recently have been offset by films where he's clearly there to collect a check. His output quality goes from something like "The Score" to those "Focker" sequels to the latest 50 Cent direct-to-DVD release.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:24 pm
Quote:

Okay, well just to let you know that there's actually a different perspective: I'm not hoping or expecting anything from Argo, so at least one person doesn't fall under your umbrella.

Second, I've never seen any pre-Transporter Besson, but I love the Transporter movies and the Taken movies. I have absolutely no desire to see The Professional or Nikita.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Okay, well just to let you know that there's actually a different perspective: I'm not hoping or expecting anything from Argo, so at least one person doesn't fall under your umbrella.

Second, I've never seen any pre-Transporter Besson, but I love the Transporter movies and the Taken movies. I have absolutely no desire to see The Professional or Nikita.

Well, congratulations to you sir!!!! :roll: :roll: Douchebag You truly must be Armond White in disguise!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm
Second Unit Director

I didn't realize that Hackman had retired.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:04 pm
dps wrote:

Yep. Welcome to Mooseport was his last film back in 2004 although it looks like he's gonna be the narrator in Scorsese's new film.

MGamesCook wrote:

Something tells me that more people would feel that way about you than me. Just saying. And what exactly is your deal anyway? Do you just like to stir the pot unnecessarily just to feel like a man or something? I gotta wonder if all this bravado is just a mask for... um, performance issues at home, perhaps? ;) ;)

Last edited by oafolay on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:48 pm
One of the things I always liked about these boards was that the users did not resort to name calling if there was a difference of opinion.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 am
sclark78 wrote:
One of the things I always liked about these boards was that the users did not resort to name calling if there was a difference of opinion.

Yes, I do apologize for opening up that can of worms. It's just that McG's snide, always-wanting-to-stir-the-pot attitude just rubbed me the wrong way on this particular occasion. I shouldn't have fired back like I did.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 am
Site Admin

oafolay wrote:
dps wrote:

Yep. Welcome to Mooseport was his last film back in 2004 although it looks like he's gonna be the narrator in Scorsese's new film.

MGamesCook wrote:

Something tells me that more people would feel that way about you than me. Just saying. And what exactly is your deal anyway? Do you just like to stir the pot unnecessarily just to feel like a man or something? I gotta wonder if all this bravado is just a mask for... um, performance issues at home, perhaps? ;) ;)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

oafolay wrote:
sclark78 wrote:

Yes, I do apologize for opening up that can of worms. It's just that McG's snide, always-wanting-to-stir-the-pot attitude just rubbed me the wrong way on this particular occasion. I shouldn't have fired back like I did.

The post in question has been deleted. It is inappropriate. I don't mind arguments, even ones that get heated, but that sort of name-calling is unwarranted.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Producer

oafolay wrote:
sclark78 wrote:

Eh, it's not really worth getting worked up over.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Finally saw Taken 2. It was better than I was expecting. Too much shakeycam and manic cutting, though.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 am