Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
HICK 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post HICK
Click here for the review of Hick

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!


Sun May 13, 2012 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: HICK
Ansom Mount? You mean Potsie from Happy Days is in this?


Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 pm
Post Re: HICK
There was another movie that also showed at last year's Toronto International Film Festival called Killer Joe to which this has been compared. Both films take place in the South and involve sexualized teenage characters who eventually come to be victimized by much older men, in this case, a cast-against-type-and-supposedly-excellent Matthew McConaughey (from what I've seen so far, he is surprisingly good). Basically, he's supposed to be this sheriff who moonlights as a contract killer. For his latest job, he is hired by a father and his son (Thomas Hayden Church and Emilie Hirsch) to murder his wife who stole drugs from the son (her stepson). They can't afford his retainer so agrees to help them in exchange for taking said teenager (Juno Temple) as sexual collateral. It has already gained controversy because of the NC-17 rating and because of a supposedly disturbing scene involving KFC and some of the reviews I've read have compared it to Hick. Anyone heard anything about this film, without veering too far off topic (I'll start a separate thread if I have to)?


Last edited by oafolay on Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sun May 13, 2012 9:23 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1343
Post Re: HICK
oafolay wrote:
There was another movie that also showed at last year's Toronto International Film Festival called Killer Joe to which this has been compared. Both films take place in the South and involve sexualized teenage characters who eventually come to be victimized by much older men, in this case, a cast-against-type-and-supposedly-excellent Matthew McConaughey (from what I've seen so far, he is surprisingly good). Basically, he's supposed to be this sheriff who moonlights as a contract killer. For his latest job, he is hired by a father and his son (Thomas Hayden Church and Emilie Hirsch) to his wife who stole drugs from the son (her stepson). They can't afford his retainer so agrees to help them in exchange for taking said teenager (Juno Temple) as sexual collateral. It has already gained controversy because of the NC-17 and because of a supposedly disturbing scene involving KFC and some of the reviews I've read have compared it to Hick. Anyone heard anything about this film, without veering too far off topic (I'll start a separate thread if I have to)?

Early buzz on "Killer Joe" is that it's William Friedkin's best film since "To Live and Die in L.A."


Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: HICK
Patrick wrote:
Ansom Mount? You mean Potsie from Happy Days is in this?


Not everyone with the first name "Anson" is associated with Potsie. :D


Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: HICK
H.I. McDonough wrote:
oafolay wrote:
There was another movie that also showed at last year's Toronto International Film Festival called Killer Joe to which this has been compared. Both films take place in the South and involve sexualized teenage characters who eventually come to be victimized by much older men, in this case, a cast-against-type-and-supposedly-excellent Matthew McConaughey (from what I've seen so far, he is surprisingly good). Basically, he's supposed to be this sheriff who moonlights as a contract killer. For his latest job, he is hired by a father and his son (Thomas Hayden Church and Emilie Hirsch) to his wife who stole drugs from the son (her stepson). They can't afford his retainer so agrees to help them in exchange for taking said teenager (Juno Temple) as sexual collateral. It has already gained controversy because of the NC-17 and because of a supposedly disturbing scene involving KFC and some of the reviews I've read have compared it to Hick. Anyone heard anything about this film, without veering too far off topic (I'll start a separate thread if I have to)?

Early buzz on "Killer Joe" is that it's William Friedkin's best film since "To Live and Die in L.A."


Well I loved To Live and Die in L.A., probably more than most on here. I thought that it took the conventional cop-thriller in some very unconventional directions while still providing the jolt of adrenaline that is expected in the genre so now I am definitely looking forward to Killer Joe. As for Hick, I can't say I'm all that surprised that Chloe Moretz would end up in this sort of role sooner or later. She seems to have learned at a young age that risk-taking is rewarded in Hollywood, especially when it comes to actress (Kick-Ass was a pretty bold move) so I for one am looking forward to seeing how her career develops overtime.


Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: HICK
0% on the Tomatometer. Rare. But I have to agree. I was really hoping this movie would be good, but I definitely can't recommend it.


Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 pm
Profile
Post Re: HICK
Who are some directors that you guys would like to see Chloe work with?


Tue May 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 230
Post Re: HICK
Patrick wrote:
Ansom Mount? You mean Potsie from Happy Days is in this?


Potsie was played by Anson Williams.


Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr