Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:40 pm

THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS 
Site Admin

Post THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS
Click here for the review of The Pirates! Band of Misfits

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS
In the UK, the movie was released as "The Pirates! in an adventure with scientist" Why the name change?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:13 am
Site Admin

Unke wrote:
In the UK, the movie was released as "The Pirates! in an adventure with scientist" Why the name change?

The UK name is the original name of Defoe's book. He actually wrote four of them: THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH SCIENTISTS, THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH AHAB, THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH COMMUNISTS, and THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH NAPOLEON.

In the US, it was deemed that THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH SCIENTISTS was not a marketable title, so they came up with another one but kept it the same in the UK because of name recognition. Sort of like HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCEROR'S/PHILOSOPHER'S STONE.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 am
Profile WWW
I was going to ask this same thing... answer accepted!

In the UK, especially amongst Potter heads, the change in the title for the USA is down to the stupidity of Americans... obviously I don't see it this way but it alarms me the level of casual racism amongst the Brits sometimes =/

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 am
Producer

Dragonbeard wrote:

In the UK, especially amongst Potter heads, the change in the title for the USA is down to the stupidity of Americans... obviously I don't see it this way but it alarms me the level of casual racism amongst the Brits sometimes =/

No. The change is due to the studios not giving Americans credit.

This movie looks okay, but it looks, at best, just mildly amusing to me. And I must confess that I'm not really a fan of this style of animation. Chicken Run was okay though, I guess.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm
I have some early screening passes for this on Wednesday, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I love the Aardman stop-motion films.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 pm
Gaffer

I am looking forward to this one as well. I hope it comes out this weekend. The only thing I need to do now is convince some friends to see it with me ......

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 pm
Hey James, did they really cave to the leper PC police, changing that scene because it was offensive / stereotypical toward real life lepers? I'm truly hoping not ...

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
THE PIRATES! IN AN ADVENTURE WITH COMMUNISTS

Sold.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 pm
Site Admin

jksander wrote:
Hey James, did they really cave to the leper PC police, changing that scene because it was offensive / stereotypical toward real life lepers? I'm truly hoping not ...

They never identify it as leprosy per se, calling it a "plague ship." But the guy's arm does fall off.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Dragonbeard wrote:

But "Sorcerer's Stone" sounds a lot better than "Philosopher's Stone" (which sounds like something that actually exists :| ).

This movie looks amusing enough. And it's good to see Aardman NOT merely going back to the Wallace & Gromit well once again (who, after "A Matter of Loaf and Death," are starting to become old hat, IMO :? ).

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 pm