Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 am

WRATH OF THE TITANS 
Site Admin

Post WRATH OF THE TITANS
Click here for the review of Wrath of the Titans

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: WRATH OF THE TITANS
I didn't know the previous one was such a box office success that it warranted a sequel. I just remember it getting mixed reviews.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 pm
Quote:
His wife, Io, has died because Gemma Arterton elected not to appear in yet another special effects-driven movie.

Yes Gemma has clearly moved onto more highbrow cinema such as Byzantium (about a mother and daughter vampire duo) and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (the siblings Hansel and Gretel have become a formidable team of bounty hunters who track and kill witches). Wrath of the Titans is sounding pretty good at this point.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:02 am
Producer

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I HATE what they've done to Hades! I HATE that they turn him into a good guy at the end. Thus, robbing us of a really awesome showdown between Zues and Hades. Why even bother casting these two great actors, Neeson and Fiennes, if they are going to be wasted like this.

Alas, they are not the only actors who are wasted. Virtually everyone in this movie doesn't really have anything to do. Even star Sam Worthington doesn't get to do much, although he does have some nice scenes with his son. The lovely Rosamund Pike is on hand strictly for eye candy. Only Edgar Ramirez and Bill Nighy get to chew some scenery and deliver what few laughs this movie has to offer.

The movie WANTS to be more than just pure action. There is some family melodrama here that they try to pass off as a plot. The movie WANTS to be about fathers and sons, and brothers too. But it never takes the time to develop the story and characters. It's more concerned with moving from one set piece to another. Consequently, I found the pacing of the movie to ebb and flow. Another consequence of not developing the characters is that the ending, when Zues dies, just doesn't have the emotional impact it should have had and what the movie was obviously going for.

The 3D for the movie is mostly just okay, but there are a few standout scenes that are impressive. Chief among them is when they go into the underworld, and the floors and walls around them are shifting around. It's a very cool scene. Unfortunately, the climax of the movie disappoints. I did not care for Persues's fight with this brother and as for his fight with Kronos? It suffers from the same thing that his fight with the Krakken in the first movie suffered from. It's too quick and Perseus defeats him too easily. In fact, I'm still a little befuddled as to how Perseus, who is only half god, is able to beat Kronos, when Zues and Hades, two powerful gods, weren't.

I can't say that I don't agree with James's review. I think it's pretty accurate. But I'm a little more forgiving of the movie than he is. It doesn't acheive what it's wants to set out to do, but it's a mildly diverting and even occasionally exciting ride. Just don't be surprised if you don't remember much about the movie by the time you get home. It's entertaining while you watch it but utterly disposable and instantly forgettable.

** 1/2 out of ****

6/10

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 am
Nitrium wrote:
Quote:
His wife, Io, has died because Gemma Arterton elected not to appear in yet another special effects-driven movie.

Yes Gemma has clearly moved onto more highbrow cinema such as Byzantium (about a mother and daughter vampire duo) and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (the siblings Hansel and Gretel have become a formidable team of bounty hunters who track and kill witches). Wrath of the Titans is sounding pretty good at this point.

WHY AM I NOT WATCHING THESE MOVIES NOW!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:36 am
Havent seen Clash yet but theres very little in Jbs reviews to suggest they arent worth seeing :-D

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:52 pm
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Immortals started a rather unfortuate trend of killing off IMMORTAL GODS. They should really look up the meaning of the word 'Immortal'. Gods are not action heroes.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

For want of anything better to occupy to hours of my time, I went to see this. Big mistake. It's quite the worst of the Hollywood blockbusters of the last two years. It's unremittingly grim while being completely silly as a piece of narrative. Hopefully, with all the Gods save one now dead, we can all get a little peace and move on to some other mythology to destroy.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I would concur with dmar that is movie is almost completely lifeless and totally boring.I was thinking that this movie could have been done like "The Artist". It could have been made a silent movie with no dialogue and you probably still would have understood what was going on it.That how derivative and predictable it is. The only bright spot is Rosamund Pike is beautiful to look at.What I found funny is one reviewer said that Wrath of the Titans was way way better than John Carter which is the worst movie of the year.I thought wow as I found John Carter to be silly fun scifi that I really enjoyed and there is not one single moment of fun in the whole of Wrath of the Titans.This is one of the few time I have to question a reviewers grasp of reality.At least the reviews here actually match up with those two movie fairly accurately in my books.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 am
Starting to bow to peer pressure here a little. Might put 'Clash' on the list of movies that I partly watch whilst painting 40k miniatures. At least it sets the tone a little ;)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 am
dmar91 wrote:
Hopefully, with all the Gods save one now dead, we can all get a little peace and move on to some other mythology to destroy.

So apparently the "spoiler" tag doesn't work...thanks dude.

I'm still going to go see it and i'm sure it'll be mediocre but fun to watch since I did enjoy the first one on a purely mindless level.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Colin wrote:
dmar91 wrote:
Hopefully, with all the Gods save one now dead, we can all get a little peace and move on to some other mythology to destroy.

So apparently the "spoiler" tag doesn't work...thanks dude.

My apologies, I didn't think this outcome needed a spoiler warning. After all, we don't see any of the Gods wandering around unleashing thunderbolts or generally demonstrating supernatural power. They're all dead now.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 am
Profile WWW