Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:51 pm

CHRONICLE 
Site Admin

Post CHRONICLE
Click here for the review of Chronicle

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: CHRONICLE
Hmm... yeah talk about under the radar. Seems like everyone is giving this a positive review. May just have to check it out this weekend.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm
You know, regarding your comment about "people filming stuff they otherwise wouldn't" I would like to offer up the following observation.

First, younger people do have a tendency to use their phones, to film everything. With the widespread use of phone camera's, it's not just filmmaker wannabes that record everything.

Second, nearly every genre has it's little conceits that are required for the genre to work in the first place. For example, in space opera it's the ability to travel faster than the speed of light. The idea that people will run around filming everything, even when you know, most people would focus on running away from the bug eyed monster chasing them, would appear to be the "found footage" genre's conceit.

I do have a question though, I have to admit I generally avoid these kinds of films (although I would consider Chronicle for DVD) generally because I dislike shaky cam. Is it bad in this film or better than usual? Ebert mentioned that when they used their powers to levitate, they used a steady crane shot for it. Just curious.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:24 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Click here for the review of Chronicle

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

This film seriously interests me. For the first time in a long time, a trailer has actually gotten me intrigued about a film rather than repulsed. I think I'm going to check this out on the weekend.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:53 pm
Frankly, this reads as a 3.5 star review. I've had many of those movies where I have little bad to say but just lack that spark, but I'm getting at is this is a rare film that seems to have met my (at the time) overly optimistic hopes.

Can't wait to see this one.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:27 pm
When I saw the trailer for this, I thought it looked like the lamest thing ever so I'm definitely surprised by the positive reviews not only from James but from most other critics. Might have to check this one out now. By the way, is it me or is this one of the stronger first quarters we've had for movies in years?

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:26 pm
oafolay wrote:
When I saw the trailer for this, I thought it looked like the lamest thing ever so I'm definitely surprised by the positive reviews not only from James but from most other critics. Might have to check this one out now. By the way, is it me or is this one of the stronger first quarters we've had for movies in years?

It might be a bit early to call this quarter a strong one, since February and March aren't over yet.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm
Producer

The way this movies ends, I'd LOVE for there to be a sequel! That would be awesome! Then again, I'm still waiting for a sequel to Unbreakable. Doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon. Even though M Night's career could probably use it at this point.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 am
A promising teen sci-fi FX extravaganza with metaphorical heft?! I knew nothing of the premise until reading the review and was reminded of a cool novel from recent yesteryear, The Cipher by Kathe Koja. I consider any flashes of Lynchian inspiration a plus and, should this pick up steam amongst the forum regulars, I'm in.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 am
Site Admin

thered47 wrote:
I do have a question though, I have to admit I generally avoid these kinds of films (although I would consider Chronicle for DVD) generally because I dislike shaky cam. Is it bad in this film or better than usual? Ebert mentioned that when they used their powers to levitate, they used a steady crane shot for it. Just curious.

No significant shaky-cam problems. The director is pretty adept at not making his audience sea-sick.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:
The way this movies ends, I'd LOVE for there to be a sequel! That would be awesome! Then again, I'm still waiting for a sequel to Unbreakable. Doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon. Even though M Night's career could probably use it at this point.

Considering the quality of his recent output, would you *want* a sequel now?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
ilovemovies wrote:

I sure as hell wouldn't! I never thought he was talented to being with, Unbreakable didn't really do anything for me, and I doubt too many people are clamoring for a sequel to it anyways.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:55 pm
Gaffer

It's not a bad superhero movie, and not great either. Would be ok to watch at home. It reminded me very much on the animated Akira (1988). Anyone felt a similar vibe?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:42 pm
Second Unit Director

I didn't think about it but you are right there is an Akira vibe to this movie now that you mention it.It was well paced and never boring but I wished that they had done just a little more character development to get you invested in the people when the transitions in the story start happening.They seemed to go the simple route just using B movie stereotypes right down to who doesn't make it to the end of the movie.Like Limitless it was good but if they had just expanded their idea a bit more it could have been great.

I would like to see a reboot of Unbreakable with a real director this time.Instead of rebooting and reimagining all the good movie from the 80' and 90's they should take the ones that didn't quite work and see if they could make them better.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:37 pm
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:

Hahaha! I still have hopes for M Night. Sure, The Last Airbender was awful, but that is the first time he's tried his hand at a special effects laden project. Maybe he's just not adept at that kind of thing.

Of course, The Happening was pretty bad too. But I actually liked Lady in the Water. So I'm not quite as down on him as some. Though I didn't care for The Village either. He's off and on even though admittedly he's been more off lately. But I still have hope that the guy who gave us The Sixth Sense (though I know you didn't like that one) and Unbreakable and, to a lesser extent, Signs, will come back. Eventually. And what better project to do so than a sequel to Unbreakable, right? Hey, a guy can dream. :?:

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:37 am
I would be excited about this movie 10 years ago. The superhero genre is overdone, as is the "reinventing superheroes!" superhero genre. I feel like I've seen this movie before. The Covenant (a terrible movie, but humor me), Kick Ass, Super...

Also, I know I will get eye rolls for this, but why are these movies always about guys? Why can't there be girls in these groups getting super powers? Ones that aren't sexualized or 12 years old... just normal girls? Statistically, shouldn't this be happening with more frequency? Are superpowers tied to the Y chromosome?!

Thow some normal women in the mix and I am interested again.

Signed,

Bored

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 am
Jaimie wrote:
I would be excited about this movie 10 years ago. The superhero genre is overdone, as is the "reinventing superheroes!" superhero genre. I feel like I've seen this movie before. The Covenant (a terrible movie, but humor me), Kick Ass, Super...

Also, I know I will get eye rolls for this, but why are these movies always about guys? Why can't there be girls in these groups getting super powers? Ones that aren't sexualized or 12 years old... just normal girls? Statistically, shouldn't this be happening with more frequency? Are superpowers tied to the Y chromosome?!

Thow some normal women in the mix and I am interested again.

Signed,

Bored

If JB's review won't convince, perhaps Dustin's will:http://themovieboy.com/reviews/c/12_chronicle.htm

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 am
ilovemovies wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Hahaha! I still have hopes for M Night. Sure, The Last Airbender was awful, but that is the first time he's tried his hand at a special effects laden project. Maybe he's just not adept at that kind of thing.

Of course, The Happening was pretty bad too. But I actually liked Lady in the Water. So I'm not quite as down on him as some. Though I didn't care for The Village either. He's off and on even though admittedly he's been more off lately. But I still have hope that the guy who gave us The Sixth Sense (though I know you didn't like that one) and Unbreakable and, to a lesser extent, Signs, will come back. Eventually. And what better project to do so than a sequel to Unbreakable, right? Hey, a guy can dream. :?:

Wow, you actually liked Lady In The Water? :shock: That film was too dumb even for my ultra-low standards, that "film critic" scene was just painfully stupid and serves as a perfect example of how completely blind and misguided M Night is. Everything about that film was inept and asinine, at least The Happening was fascinating and entertaining in how bad it was, "Lady" was just a painful and depressing slog through mediocrity, the acting is especially depressing, the whole cast looks they'd rather be anywhere but in the waste of celluloid they're stranded in.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 am
Not even Paul Giamatti could save Lady in the Water. Vexer, for once we agree!! :)

That was once of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 am
Quote:
In recent years, I have become jaded about superhero movies, a genre I once enjoyed. A sameness and lack of energy permeates them, especially the origin stories. There's something perfunctory and unsatisfying about many of the big titles, leaving it to smaller, less ambitious features to fill the breach. Chronicle is relatively unheralded, but it arrives at a time when this breed of movie needs an injection of originality. Like 2010's Kick-Ass, it exists beneath the superhero umbrella but seems nothing like a Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, or X-Men.

Not sure I see where you're coming from, since the best superhero movies have arrived in the latter half of the past decade (starting, in my opinion, with Batman Begins).

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:43 pm