Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:58 am

HEADHUNTERS 
Site Admin

Post HEADHUNTERS
Click here for the review of Headhunters

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: HEADHUNTERS
I've been interested in this movie for a while. Does anyone know if it'll be available on demand at some point, or is it only playing in limited release? I might just see it tonight.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:48 pm
I find Nesbo's novels to be worthwhile, if a bit overlong usually. I'm very excited for this.

James, I'm wondering: how are the subtitles? I've heard that the subtitles are terribly translated and often awkwardly worded and seemingly not written by an English speaker. Did you experience that at all?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 pm
Assistant Director

I saw this movie and agree 100% with James Berardinelli's review! Spot on James :-)

I liked the Scandinavian's films of "The Girl with the dragon tattoo" and 'Let the right one in' too. I did not see much point of the English version of "The Girl with the dragon tattoo" with American and English actors speaking English but still set in Sweden and the plot basically remained the same. I liked better the English version of "Let me in" which was set in US and in the 80s!

It might be me but even I live in Australia, I do not see problems with sub tittles maybe because prior to that I lived in Venezuela where English films (the majority) are shown with subtitles. I used to hate when I had to go to Europe (at least in Spain) where you see the English movies in Spanish , including the Spain's accent lol

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I too agree with James that "Headhunters" is a solid thriller, though it doesn't top France's "Sleepless Night" for overall thrills. For anyone who has seen the film, I have a couple of questions:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Was it just me, or did it seem as though Clas really didn't have a strong motivation to pursue Roger and kill him? Clas' was in the positon of tracking technology that sticks to the target while remaining invisible. In comparison, what is so valuable about taking over Pathfinder? The stakes in the GPS corporate war could have been established a little better.

Also, if Clas needs Roger to get him the job at Pathfinder, what is the use in killing him? Is Roger really that much of an obstacle that offing him opens the door for Jamie (sorry, Clas) to step in?

Finally, why did Clas need to even need to create the "trap" with the priceless painting? How does that further Clas' plan to get the job?

I might be over thinking the film a little too much. A big part of the problem is that much of the mystery is revealed through the exposition of a single character.

Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm
Site Admin

Shade wrote:
James, I'm wondering: how are the subtitles? I've heard that the subtitles are terribly translated and often awkwardly worded and seemingly not written by an English speaker. Did you experience that at all?

They didn't seem awkward to me. Can't speak to whether they were well-translated or not.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

There was something very familiar about the actor playing Roger when I saw the trailer, but I couldn't really pinpoint it. Then it hits me. Aksel Hennie looks very much like a young version of Christopher Walken!

Wed May 02, 2012 12:12 am
Site Admin

sopjagung wrote:
There was something very familiar about the actor playing Roger when I saw the trailer, but I couldn't really pinpoint it. Then it hits me. Aksel Hennie looks very much like a young version of Christopher Walken!

I watched HEADHUNTERS with my wife. Part-way through, she said Hennie looks familiar. My response: He looks like Christopher Walken 20 years ago.

Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Hahahaha, so you can immediately recognize the similarity. I was at a loss and thought hard about it before making the connection.

Anyway, I really want to see Headhunters, but theater chains in Indonesia can be quite fickle with their programming. Popular films will always get shown, but less popular ones are never certain.

Wed May 02, 2012 1:57 pm