Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 pm

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2011) 
Post Re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2011)
Alex wrote:
The Swedish film made a few changes from the book that the Fincher version copies. This suggests that the screenwriters were influenced by the Swedish film.

[Reveal] Spoiler: For example
1. In the book, Salander's laptop is damaged by a car reversing over her rucksack. In both films, she is mugged on the tube/subway.

2. In the book, Blomkvist's daughter solves the codes in Harriet's diary. In both films, Salander e-mails the solution to Blomkvist (and thus reveals herself).

3. When questioned by Bjurman about her number of sexual partners, in both films Salander sarcastically replies "2, 20, 2,000, 200,000". This is not in the book.

Because it's a remake, not a re-adaptation :P

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:55 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Because it's a remake, not a re-adaptation :P

I agree, but I recall an interview with Craig where he insisted it was a new adaptation of the book. It clearly is not.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am
Alex wrote:
The Swedish film made a few changes from the book that the Fincher version copies. This suggests that the screenwriters were influenced by the Swedish film.

1. In the book, Salander's laptop is damaged by a car reversing over her rucksack. In both films, she is mugged on the tube/subway.

2. In the book, Blomkvist's daughter solves the codes in Harriet's diary. In both films, Salander e-mails the solution to Blomkvist (and thus reveals herself).

3. When questioned by Bjurman about her number of sexual partners, in both films Salander sarcastically replies "2, 20, 2,000, 200,000". This is not in the book.

#2 is wrong, it is Blomkvist's daughter in the American version who solves the Bible codes and she doesn't reveal herself to him by email, he has to go to the company that researched him to find out about her. I remember as I commented on it with my partner afterwards. As for #3, I don't recall her giving an answer in the American version, just giving him a blank look, but that could just be a result of my poor memory.
-Jeremy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:39 am
Site Admin

thered47 wrote:
Alex wrote:

#2 is wrong, it is Blomkvist's daughter in the American version who solves the Bible codes and she doesn't reveal herself to him by email, he has to go to the company that researched him to find out about her. I remember as I commented on it with my partner afterwards. As for #3, I don't recall her giving an answer in the American version, just giving him a blank look, but that could just be a result of my poor memory.
-Jeremy

#1 - the events in the two versions are vastly different; no indication that one influenced the other.
#2 - Jeremy is correct.
#3 - Like Jeremy, I can't remember, either. I recall the "2, 20, etc" but don't remember whether it was from one or both. I'd have to re-watch the Fincher one again and that won't happen until it's on Blu-Ray.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
thered47 wrote:
Alex wrote:

-Jeremy

#1 - the events in the two versions are vastly different; no indication that one influenced the other.
#2 - Jeremy is correct.
#3 - Like Jeremy, I can't remember, either. I recall the "2, 20, etc" but don't remember whether it was from one or both. I'd have to re-watch the Fincher one again and that won't happen until it's on Blu-Ray.

#3 - Jeremy is also correct on this one. The line was in the Swedish version, but not the American one. In Fincher's version, Lisbeth simply gives Bjurmann a blank look and says nothing.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm
I was surprised by this one. I enjoyed the Swedish verison but nothing more than pulp and found Fincher's version far more compelling but still felt Noomi was a better Lisbeth (Rooney still solid).

I haven't followed production on this series in the US but is David Fincher attached to making the other films or was he just in for the first one?

PS: The title sequence is the best i've seen in years - it was like a James Bond one on acid

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:53 am
Site Admin

Nick wrote:
I haven't followed production on this series in the US but is David Fincher attached to making the other films or was he just in for the first one?

Craig and Mara are signed for the sequels; Fincher is not. He has expressed some interest and has said that if he agrees to do THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE, it would be as a package deal with THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST (they would be filmed together). It comes down to money. Fincher is expensive and the studio has to determine whether it's worth the money to sign him to the two-picture deal or whether they would be better off with a less expensive director who would be more open to budget constraints. Probably depends on the worldwide gross. The movie hasn't opened in many territories, so that's an open question.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Just watched this last night. I'd give it *** or **1/2 stars at the most.

Don't get me wrong. This is a really well made, moody film, and it has Fincher's style all over it. The only problem is that, aside from some minor differences, IT'S THE EXACT SAME FILM as before. Having read the books and seen the original (which I found good, not great), I already knew what to expect, and that takes away from it.

Also, I found it incredibly awkward that the story is still set in Sweden yet has everyone speaking English with accents. You'd think they could have at least changed the setting, to make it a bit more different... it just felt lazy to me.

And the fact that the movie drags on for 20 or so minutes after the climax kind of robs it of its impact, and I had a hard time figuring out what exactly Lisbeth did during that whole stretch.

No fault on the technical side, though; the acting was good, and Lisbeth Salander is still a fascinating character; and the directing was spot on as well. But in my opinion they should have waited a couple more years before making this; having it come so quickly after the original just reeks of a cash grab no matter what you do.

I thought Mara was great, the opening credits sequence was pretty nifty as well, and eveything looks great; but the story itself was just kind of there, mostly because they didn't bother to make much changes to it. I felt the same way about the original: it's really just a pulpy crime/procedural thriller, and nothing more.

One little point: I heard other message boards and reviews comment about how dark and violent this is; it certainly is dark, and while the rape/violent scenes where not nice to watch, I felt absolutely no discomfort. If anything, I felt they didn't go far enough with the entire "violence" aspect. Maybe it means I'm desentizised to violence in movies?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Figured I would just comment here that the extended edition of the original Swedish trilogy is now up on Netflix Instant. I am eager to revisit it.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm
No.

Just, really, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

If JB hadn't already specified that his four star review was referring to the version of this movie that stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara as directed by David Fincher, I'd seriously have thought that the version I saw was a spoof.

I actually won't even blame Fincher for this. Lately I went back over his greatest hits to try and remind myself of WHY he is so respected and it occurred to me that he, like many directors, is simply doing what he can with what is already beyond a turd. I give him this credit knowing full well that given his reputation, I'm fairly certain he had more say in this movie than I'm blaming him for but since I like SOME of what he's done in the past (Seven for certain, Fight Club sort of although this lessens with each re-reading of the book) I'm willing to give him some slack.

Which leads me to what I liked; it was well directed. The movie is typical of Fincher's less than cheerful style which still manages to stand out despite being in desperate need of a contextual/cultural refresh.
The acting; Stellan Skarsgård was fantastic, no question. Rooney Mara does a great impression of somebody winning a fancy dress contest as Lisbeth Salander. Nobody else in the movie was worth mentioning.
Oh wait, the Cat?

And so everything else
Music wise - not being a huge NIN fan, I've not come to expect a great deal from Trent Reznor and this was no exception. As with 'The Social Network', his score could have been thrown together by any generic 'moody movie' compser. I can't help but feel Reznor's name was simply attached for sales purposes.
Writing; perhaps the worst part of the movie for me was the dialogue. It wasn't BADLY written as such, but since people apparently want 'moar good substance' in a film, they won't find it here.

At this point, I cannot be bothered to continue making a list so I'll just get to the point.

There are hallmarks of good movie making all over this piece so why has it failed so much? Was this really an effort by David Fincher? Sure, there are subtle nods to other movies in the thriller AND horror genre but what does that mean? Family Guy makes nods to such things but does it gain the acclaim that this abortion of a motion picture has?

This was really just somebody filming a school play of 'Girl with the dragon tattoo', for all the impact and point it had.

Which brings me to one of my greatest complaints... English dialogue with Swedish accents.

I shouldn't even have to say anything really. It's been mentioned here already... and yet it doesn't seem to matter in the greater scheme of things. I just thought people wanted us to believe that we lived in a more 'progressive' society than this.

This isn't enlightened or open minded. This is just money grabbing horse shit and despite my respect for him, David Fincher remains no less of a charlatan than I'd previously suspected.

I'm done with this hole charade, I should never have bothered in the first place. I knew it would end badly and it has.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20 am
So Dragonbeard, did you like the movie or not?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 am
MunichMan wrote:
So Dragonbeard, did you like the movie or not?

For a moment, I'll forget that it's a charlatanistic cash-grab and pretend that it's just some thriller movie with Fincher in the chair.

The film frequently generates tension purely through visual means, such as the silent sorting through photographs, letters, newspaper articles etc. The way a decent thriller ought to be. The tension was continually shattered however by the clumsy dialogue, which just felt as if somebody needed to make some noise in a silent scary room.
On multiple occasions, the gear is shifted as we head for a climax... then the clutch is disengaged by mistake, along with a roar of failure. Most noticeable, the exploding crashed car scene.

An average 1 1/2 star movie really.

Add that to the actual reality of what's going on (the remake part) and I guess my answer is no.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:41 pm
Gaffer

I've been reading James' reelviews for over 10 years and I know he rarely awards his maximum 4 stars to any movie he reviews. This is, I think, with good cause as most movies are not great movies. Even really good movies are still probably only deserving of 3 and a half stars. When James awards 4 stars to a movie I pay attention as I value his opinion on movies.

However, I still can't understand why he gave "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" (2011) Four stars. I don't even know why he gave Avatar 4 stars. In his review for The Avengers (2012) he is falling over himself raving about it yet only gives 3 and a half stars... maybe he has learnt from his mistake in getting too carried away with hype as with Avatar and ..Dragon Tattoo?

Lots of great movies he doesn't review at all, such as the 2010 documentary-movie SENNA.

What is the world coming too?!

Wed May 02, 2012 2:31 pm