Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:06 pm

CAPTAIN AMERICA 
Post Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA
I saw Captain America last night and liked it a lot. But I like super hero origin stories, and thought this one was well done. It may not have had a "big ending" in the Michael Bay manner, but the entire story made sense, I could follow the plot, and didn't walk out of the theater shaking my head, which I can't say for Mr. Bay's Transformer movies. My wife also enjoyed the movie, and she's not a comic book fan at all (or a fan of fantasy/sci-fi in general).

The tie-ins to the Avengers movie don't bother me at all - I like the idea of continuity between all these movies. It makes for a richer fuller universe where we get to learn more details about stuff like Tony Stark's father. And I'm expecting to see that cube again.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 pm
LintMan wrote:
The tie-ins to the Avengers movie don't bother me at all - I like the idea of continuity between all these movies. It makes for a richer fuller universe where we get to learn more details about stuff like Tony Stark's father. And I'm expecting to see that cube again.

Seconded.

I also think there should be something of the 'Smallville' format for Iron Man; school age Start using science to get back at the bullies :D

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
LintMan wrote:

Seconded.

Likewise.

And if I recall correctly, the Cosmic Cube is what Nick Fury presented to Stellan Skarsgard during the post-credits scene in Thor... which leads me to guess that Loki gets his hands on it, and that's what prompts the Avengers to form.

By the way, did anyone catch any of the easter eggs, like the original android Human Torch?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm
Second Unit Director

I like the first hour but once Capt America goes to Europe the movie seems to stall a bit.I would have like to see a more ironic story line where Red Skull is going to destroy Moscow and Stalin to knock Russia out of the war.Capt America saves Communist Russia by stopping Red Skull and receives the Red Star of the Revolution.Okay maybe that would be too ironic.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

My wife enjoyed Captain America and, believe me, she's one of the hardest audiences in the world for US comic-book heroes. But this is now up alongside the Nolan Batman and Spiderman 2 as great fun in our unofficial world ranking.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Hawk52 wrote:
Captain America is generic. But that's kind of what makes him a great character. Every other person in Marvel and DC has serious mental issues or conflicts. They all have some dark part of their character or history that makes them behave certain ways or do questionable things.

Captain America has his issues, but he's the one character from Marvel that you always know will do the right thing. Every other character they've done an Avenger setup movie so far has other motivations. Be it drinking/destructive thinking (Stark), being on call to a higher power (Thor), be it animal instinct (Hulk), or working for the government (Nick Fury) they all have some agenda or flaw. For the Avengers to work you need that one character that will always try to keep the team on track, who always tries to do what's right and will sacrifice his own life at the drop of a hat for a cause. That's Captain America in a nutshell.
I agree, unfortunately that also makes him the least-suited to a by-the-numbers origin story. Iron Man's origin story worked fine, because Tony Stark is so entertaining all by himself (especially as played by Robert Downey, Jr.). When you have a flawless paladin you need to build the compelling story around him. Highlight the external challenges he faces, the sacrifices he's forced to make, his relationships with flawed characters, and how he grows to understand and use his powers most effectively.

[Reveal] Spoiler: includes discussion of ending
Captain America doesn't fail any of this, it addresses all those points somewhat, just in a rather generic and uninteresting way. The main conflicts are the scrawny kid wanting to join the war, transitioning from stage performer to combat performer, rivalry with red skull and Hydra, and his final sacrifice foreshadowed by the grenade incident. I would say the first two are somewhat well developed and Tommy Lee Jones helps considerably in the second case. The third case is rather weakly developed beyond great visuals and Hugo Weaving's theatrics-- the action is fun but not memorable. The last suffers mostly because the relationship between Rogers and Peggy Carter hadn't progressed enough for that sort of event to fulfill it's dramatic potential (compare with the emotional impact of George Kirk's scene in the opening moments of Star Trek).

I think Thor provides an interesting contrast, because though it had some serious, squirm-worthy flaws, the good parts were really good.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I wonder if there is a connection between the direction of American debt rating and a number of inane jingoistic shit movies?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 am

My review.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

I saw that film yesterday and I completely agree with James's review. I'm completely baffled how this movie is better reviewed than X-Men 3.
Not only is the plot and characters generic and uninteresting, there are some other flaws there that I wouldn't have expected from a summer blockbuster, like for example choppy editing and a dearth of humor. Let's not forget also Stanley Tucci's embarrassing performance, complete with a laughable accent.

I consider myself a fan of comic book adaptations and Captain America was a complete disappointment. It really made Ang Lee's Hulk and Superman Returns look like Citizen Kane.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 pm
Auteur

Panos75 wrote:
I saw that film yesterday and I completely agree with James's review. I'm completely baffled how this movie is better reviewed than X-Men 3.
Not only is the plot and characters generic and uninteresting, there are some other flaws there that I wouldn't have expected from a summer blockbuster, like for example choppy editing and a dearth of humor. Let's not forget also Stanley Tucci's embarrassing performance, complete with a laughable accent.

I consider myself a fan of comic book adaptations and Captain America was a complete disappointment. It really made Ang Lee's Hulk and Superman Returns look like Citizen Kane.

Agreed, out of all the Marvel films, this one is definitely the worst for me. Tucci's performance was cringe-inducing bad, was it really that hard the filmmakers to have a German character played by an actual German actor like say Udo Kier? Aside from that, the action scenes were blandly directed and unexciting, the story was lackluster, the acting was unremarkable at best, Evans was a bit stiff here(thankfully he improved in Avengers) and that made it hard for me to remain interested in his character. Thankfully Winter Soldier looks to be a huge improvement over this film.

I personally don't understand all the hate for X3 myself, I thought it was a worthy enough sequel, it was a lot better then First Class which I found boring and mediocre.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:24 pm