Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 am

JACK THE GIANT SLAYER 
Site Admin

Post JACK THE GIANT SLAYER
Click here for the review of Jack the Giant Slayer

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: JACK THE GIANT SLAYER
This looks extremely mediocre, after being dissapointed by Superman Returns, I don't have much hope that this will be any better, these fairy tale "re-imaginings" just don't spike my interest.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 pm
Producer

Never should have doubted Bryan Singer. Should have known it'd be a case of promos not doing the movie justice.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Never should have doubted Bryan Singer. Should have known it'd be a case of promos not doing the movie justice.

This looked so much like another Snow white and the Huntsman to me, JBs review doesn't surprise in the least. As long as they don't insult your intelligence (e.g. Clash of the Titans), fantasy films can be fantastic entertainment.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 am
Gaffer

Two three star films? That's not a bad start for March.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:08 am
Director

Haven't been able to muster much excitement for this. I'll see it at some pint probably. Don't know when.

ilovemovies wrote:
Never should have doubted Bryan Singer

In some ways the direction of Singer's career reminds me of something I heard a while back when I was at a local area film festival. Some wisenheimer wondered aloud "Who's gonna be the next Richard Donner". My initial thought was "that's a pretty weird thing to say". But then I thought about it and realized: That's Singer. He's become the next Richard Donner.

Singer in some ways has always been more of a very good craftsman than an artist. That was demonstrated quite well in the two X-Men movies he helmed. His best film remains The Usual Suspects because it's both his edgiest and the one that shows his talent the most.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

James, does seeing a movie in mediocre 3D skew your review? If so, I'd rather you just skipped the 3D showings and go with 2D if you have the option.

I still see 3D as a gimmick anyway. It hasn't enhanced any movie I've seen since Avatar, which was a special case.

Or, you could tell me to go eff myself, which is well within your rights. I'm still gonna trust your reviews.

Edit: I've also noticed that Vexer contradicts most of your reviews, so I could probably use him as an indicator - if he likes it, I'll dislike it and vice-versa.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Auteur

Baelzar wrote:
James, does seeing a movie in mediocre 3D skew your review? If so, I'd rather you just skipped the 3D showings and go with 2D if you have the option.

I still see 3D as a gimmick anyway. It hasn't enhanced any movie I've seen since Avatar, which was a special case.

Or, you could tell me to go eff myself, which is well within your rights. I'm still gonna trust your reviews.

Edit: I've also noticed that Vexer contradicts most of your reviews, so I could probably use him as an indicator - if he likes it, I'll dislike it and vice-versa.

I do agree with JB some of the time, I largely agreed with his reviews on Parker and The Last Stand.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 pm
Gaffer

It seems to me that anyone who makes a faery tale movie is caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: if they stay true to the Brother's Grimm, then their work is pronounced, "Trite and tired". If they try to update, add action, or worse, modern social sensiblities (gasp! Feminism!) then they have "Betrayed the beloved children's classic." Look at the evisceration of Hansel & Gretel, Red Riding Hood, even Wonderland. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, all I care about is the entertainment value of the end product. Check my full review: http://bit.ly/ZO9CAi

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm
Second Unit Director

The idea that there can be too much CGI in a movie really has textbook case in Jack the Giant Slayer. The film was lifeless and forgettable to the point that the small kid sitting beside me looked bored and fidgety then started talking to his mom for some relief. Then add the two teenage girls on the other side of me who were busy texting something for half the film. Nicholas Hoult has no screen presence and Ewan McGregor efflortlessly outshines him looking quite dashing in his armour. He would make a perfect Green Arrow if they ever give it a movie version.

I would only compare this to John Carter in that they both will have failed at the box office but Carter was way more fun of an adventure story than this. The only interesting segments were where it reminded me of the old 60's tv series Land of the Giants where a commercial passenger space shuttle goes through a space anomaly and crashes on a planet of giant humans that resembles 1950's America. Their attempts to avoid capture and helping the giant resistance against their fascist government made most of the episodes. Maybe not a bad idea for a movie reboot where they could try to be creative and find ways not to use CGI.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 am
Gaffer

James I have one question. Some of the critics (Roeper, McCarthy and a few more) are saying this is a better film than The Hobbit AUJ. Since you gave them both 3 stars I was curious which one you yourself would prefer?

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:35 am
Second Unit Director

Saw this one last night. It was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. An Unexpected Journey was much better. The ending of JTGS left me a little detached and disappointed, but I'd recommend it to most people anyway.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:59 pm
Site Admin

Master Virgo wrote:
James I have one question. Some of the critics (Roeper, McCarthy and a few more) are saying this is a better film than The Hobbit AUJ. Since you gave them both 3 stars I was curious which one you yourself would prefer?

THE HOBBIT is a better film. Those who are saying otherwise are buying into the anti-Jackson backlash.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I saw it in 2D and it looked great. I liked the two leads just fine. James, the giant's normal diet looks to be sheep, pigs (in blankets), and they have grain as well since they have flour. They have some sort of bread, too. Presumably they have other plants and animals that we don't see, otherwise there wouldn't be a point to the net.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 am