Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:38 pm

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN 
Site Admin

Post SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN
Click here for the review of Snow White and the Huntsman

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN
Saw a trailer for this when I saw Prometheus tonight, which incidentally was pretty damn good, but could and should have been soooo much better!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:50 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Saw a trailer for this when I saw Prometheus tonight, which incidentally was pretty damn good, but could and should have been soooo much better!

Were they doing some sort of advance screening for the film over in the UK, or did it actually open there?

As for this film: I checked the score at RT, and it's interesting that it actually got a higher rating overall from top critics than from the overall consensus. I guess the grimmer take on an old fairy tale wasn't to the liking of the peon reviewers. It still doesn't interest me all that much, however.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm
Does Kristen Stewart still do her acting tics - i.e. lip biting, pushing her hair back with her fingers, akward breathing pauses, etc.? :P

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:16 am
Site Admin

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Were they doing some sort of advance screening for the film over in the UK, or did it actually open there?

It opened in the U.K. on June 1. And my review is still embargoed until Thursday, June 7. Shows that Fox still doesn't understand that in the Internet-age, embargoing one country's reviews when a movie has opened elsewhere doesn't make any sense.

Disney seems to have gotten it, though: there were no U.S. embargoes on AVENGERS reviews once it opened elsewhere. Ditto for Universal and BATTLESHIT.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:41 am
Profile WWW
OK so I went to see this movie yesterday and I was a little.... underwhelmed. Sure, it's appropriately dark and moody, and the visual effects and shot compositions are all spectacular, but the film itself felt a little flat. I feel the characters and the story should've been fleshed out more. For example, the movie's called "Snow White and the Huntsman", and there was barely a relationship between both character. Also, the pacing should've been a little faster. Not that I dislike slow-paced movies, but I felt this particular film could've used a little more energy.

Still, Charlize Theron is pretty fantastic as the evil queen, Hemsworth is appropriately angry and brave as the Huntsman and all those fantastic British actors are both great and wasted as the dwarves. I liked the movie - but I wanted to like it more.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm
I pretty much agree with James' review and with Sebastian's comments. It was good; it could have been great. Such wonderful images in search of better dialog and character development.

By far my favorite parts had to do with the queen. There were just so many great, creepy moments with her. And so many squishy animal innards. Unlike James, I thought Theron's performance worked really well in the context of the visuals she was placed in.

This feels like they started with a shitty, convoluted screenplay and brought in Hossein Amini to fix it. But instead of fixing anything, he just got rid of a bunch of clutter and tightened up the structure of the thing. So in the end there's a good skeleton that's missing some meat and flesh. Personally, I would have liked more of the enchanted fairy forest. And pretty much nothing that happens in the Duke's kingdom felt essential--I wish the plot mechanics accomplished there had been moved elsewhere. I would have preferred
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that we stay in the enchanted fairy forest until it was time to attack the queen. Make the final battle more of a "Snow White rallies the woodland creatures" sort of thing, playing up the contrast between the life-giving Snow White vs. the life-draining queen. The visual of Snow White riding the white stag into battle could have really been something. In the process this could give the dwarves more to do, as Snow White's sort-of generals in the forest.

Really, though, it ends up being an almost perfect date movie: a forearm bruiser, as Ebert would say. Things he can enjoy: all the creepy imagery with the queen, the decent fight scenes, the appropriately spectacular final battle, and the awesome images throughout. Things she can enjoy: Thor, the "Snow White as conquering hero instead of damsel in distress" thing, just enough of a hint of romance for a swoon or two, and the awesome images throughout.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:37 pm
Gaffer

Hello all,
I agree, that this "Snow White" is one of the better big movies of the season so far (though that's not saying much), but I can't quite bring myself to call it good. In the end, it's IMHO an average movie with quite a few good moments, but not much to go on story- or acting-wise.

Bones wrote:
By far my favorite parts had to do with the queen. There were just so many great, creepy moments with her. And so many squishy animal innards. Unlike James, I thought Theron's performance worked really well in the context of the visuals she was placed in.

Well, the performance itself was perfectly adequate, but as James said it, whenever there is dialogue to be delivered, the woman always takes it up to 11. Even the few quieter lines she has are delivered in such a way that you'd almost worry she was on the brink of suicide. Thats of course opposed to Stewart's Snow White whose delivery is so unremarkable that her "rousing speech" before the show down feels out of place, or more to the point, out of character.

Bones wrote:
This feels like they started with a shitty, convoluted screenplay and brought in Hossein Amini to fix it. But instead of fixing anything, he just got rid of a bunch of clutter and tightened up the structure of the thing.

Yes, but at the expense of decent story arc. In a nutshell, the movie is circa 70 minutes of various stages of running away from the queen and her henchmen, framed by a short prologue and escape sequence at the beginning, plus the showdown, of course. No much happens during the running part, the narrowly escape a bunch of times and have a few personal moments in-between. The spring cleaning of the screenplay also left us with half a ton of characters with nothing to do; the dwarves, for example, provide a few moments of failed comedy (in fact, the Huntsman is more successful in that department) and have a small part in the showdown, both of which could have easily been written out altogether.

It's even worse for William - I agree with James that the movie was at least aiming for a Luke/Han/Leia-like triangle, but both potential love stories are almost non-existent in the actual proceedings. Sure, we see William pine for Snow since childhood, but apart from one scene, this plays no part in the film. And with the Huntsman, it's the same thing - I can see on screen why there is growing respect for Snow, but the "romance" again is reduced to one scene, which is essentially a monologue from the Huntsman. Perhaps the excised much of the triangle material because they hope to (re)visit that in a potential sequel.

Bones wrote:
Really, though, it ends up being an almost perfect date movie: a forearm bruiser, as Ebert would say. Things he can enjoy: all the creepy imagery with the queen, the decent fight scenes, the appropriately spectacular final battle, and the awesome images throughout. Things she can enjoy: Thor, the "Snow White as conquering hero instead of damsel in distress" thing, just enough of a hint of romance for a swoon or two, and the awesome images throughout.

That we can agree on. Having watched that movie in a Sneak Preview with quite a few couples around, I can testify that there was a lot of 'forearm bruising' going on. And high-pitched screams every now and then, plus the occasional "yucks" and "eeks". 8-)

Greetings
Kasi Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

As for this film: I checked the score at RT, and it's interesting that it actually got a higher rating overall from top critics than from the overall consensus. I guess the grimmer take on an old fairy tale wasn't to the liking of the peon reviewers. It still doesn't interest me all that much, however.

What JB said pretty much. Same for the Avengers! I've no idea why really, did the UK suddenly become the coolest guy in the room?

We got Prometheus, you guys got Chris Hemsworth shows Kristen Stewart what a real gent is (know this myself, real nice fella).

I would say you've been gypped but... I still can't figure out if I liked Prometheus or not tbh. It's a pretty good stand alone Sci Fi movie, with a bit of a case of third act syndrome. As for the Alien thing... well just wait and see eh?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

What JB said pretty much. Same for the Avengers! I've no idea why really, did the UK suddenly become the coolest guy in the room?

We got Prometheus, you guys got Chris Hemsworth shows Kristen Stewart what a real gent is (know this myself, real nice fella).

I would say you've been gypped but... I still can't figure out if I liked Prometheus or not tbh. It's a pretty good stand alone Sci Fi movie, with a bit of a case of third act syndrome. As for the Alien thing... well just wait and see eh?

I'm starting to think that Hollywood studios are making the decision to open films overseas as a way to test the market before deciding on how they're going to advertise the film in North America. As I recall, they did that with Battleshit (as JB calls it), and the overseas box office totals actually saved that film from being a complete bomb.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 pm
Director

I thought Theron was fine except in a couple of scenes where she was furious and came across as shrill, like a kid throwing a temper tantrum. It was perfectly plausible that she should be the fairest in all the land (and she should hold the title in several lands since this isn't the first kingdom she's conquered). Generally the Queen's pretty formidable, and her subjects aren't very appreciative considering she's brought them peace by conquering their neighbors and only asked for a few virgin sacrifices. It's also notable that she's managed to defend their land without conscripting a single soldier.

Stewart's okay but not spectacular, and Chris Hemsworth's quite good. (I think William coming across as rather bland may have been intentional to accentuate the good qualities of the Huntsman.) The dwarfs didn't have much to do except for one important scene, and were mostly an example of the perils of adapting a well-known fairy tale: when you adapt Snow White, dwarfs come with the territory, whether they are necessary for the adaption or not.

Loved the special effects in the Dark Forest and some of those in the fairies' forest as well.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
OK so I went to see this movie yesterday and I was a little.... underwhelmed

I would totally agree with you there. It was flat and mostly boring aside from the fairly good production values.It was like a tv movie made for $150 million dollars.Pedestrian writing and just plain bad acting from Hemsworth and Stewart even the veteran British character actors(as the dwarves) can't breath any life into their lines.As for Charlize Theron,she goes way past chewing the scenery to graduating from the Al Pacino over the top acting school.Didn't they work on Devil's Advocate together? There is already talk of a sequel which makes me wonder if they want a Snow White:Warrior Princess franchise.

Quote:
Generally the Queen's pretty formidable, and her subjects aren't very appreciative considering she's brought them peace by conquering their neighbors and only asked for a few virgin sacrifices. It's also notable that she's managed to defend their land without conscripting a single soldier.

Quite good points but unfortunately she was a ecocriminal who destroyed the environment and killed endangered faerie species.Kristen Stewart really needed to take her in chains to the Magic Kingdom's Court in the Hague.

Quote:

Nope quite the opposite actually.The real reason is that your way bigger pirates and downloaders in the Eurozone.North America has the lowest level of pirating compared to Europe and Asia mostly thanks to the draconian laws past here.That allows major studios to open overseas first to get a jump on the people who will download the movie in those regions.If it opened in North America first the overseas market would be flooded with bootleg versions within a couple of days.At least that is the theory.Whether it works in real life is hard to measure.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:36 pm
Producer

My favorite film of the year so far! Although it is a bit over long and could have tightened up a little, I pretty much loved every minute of this movie. I also don't get the complaints that Kristen Stewart is on Bella mode. She's much better here than in the Twilight movies. In fact, she's fucking fantastic in this movie. Charlize Theron could have dialed it down a little as there were moments where she was so over the top that it bordered on camp. But she's great here too. And so Chris Hemsworth. In fact, he's better here than he was in Thor and The Avengers. Loved the arc his character goes through.

I was actually surprised by how violent this movie was. It's definitely NOT for kids. It's PG-13 but there are times when the movie almost gets into R rated territory. This may be based on a fairy tale, but it ain't no kids flick.

This movie is visually STUNNING. The visual effects and sound effects are astonishing. The art direction/set design and cinematography are truly breathtaking, even majestic. The acting is uniformly excellent all around. Not just the main trio, but also the guy who plays William, Snow White's childhood friend. And all of the actors playing the dwarfs are fantastic.

I can't say enough about this movie. This hasn't exactly been a great year for movies, lots of enjoyable movies but very little that's truly great or memorable. Snow White and the Huntsman is a breath of fresh air. It takes a classic, timeless fairy tale and tells it in a way that's utterly compelling and feels fresh and new. It's my favorite movie of the year so far.

I give the movie 3.5 stars out of 4.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:18 am
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
Disney seems to have gotten it, though: there were no U.S. embargoes on AVENGERS reviews once it opened elsewhere. Ditto for Universal and BATTLESHIT.

I love starting Mondays off with a good laugh. Thanks James. :D

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 am
Site Admin

oakenshield32 wrote:
Nope quite the opposite actually.The real reason is that your way bigger pirates and downloaders in the Eurozone.North America has the lowest level of pirating compared to Europe and Asia mostly thanks to the draconian laws past here.That allows major studios to open overseas first to get a jump on the people who will download the movie in those regions.If it opened in North America first the overseas market would be flooded with bootleg versions within a couple of days.At least that is the theory.Whether it works in real life is hard to measure.

There's some validity to this argument but I still don't understand why the films aren't opened simultaneously. In effect, that would still give Europe/Asia a slight jump on North America (by 5-12 hours). That's pretty much the philosophy embraced by Warner Brothers for TDK Rises. That's opening on July 19 in a few countries, including the United States (official release date in North America is July 20, but there will be midnight showings and there are also rumors of all-day IMAX showings on the 19th as well as 9 pm showings in normal theaters).

If you want to take a look at a really strange distribution pattern, check out THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Here are some quotes about international distribution and what factors are at work.The thing with Spiderman's release is in an interview where the director seems to imply they are still tinkering with post production right up to the last minute which may explain the gradual rollout and maybe allowing the stars of the movie to visit each region to promote it as well as all the translation work that needs to be done.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=814592&publicationSubCategoryId=200

These factors are also taken into account in developing the detailed release strategy for each film. The strategy and timing of the release will also take into account:

censorship issues - when and how must the film be submitted for classification?
translation for sub-titling and dubbing
publicity screenings
availability of key talent for promotional purposes
availability of key media in each territory
any promotional tie-ins and when the partners will be spending their money
any additional local factors

With the various exploitation windows closing, there is an increasing trend towards films being released internationally on the same day as (or close to) their North American release. This has the advantages of reducing the opportunities for piracy; enabling marketing campaigns from the US to roll over into other territories; and allowing earlier exploitation of other windows. On the other hand, day and date releasing requires new prints and means that marketing spend must be committed internationally before the studio knows how the film has played in the US. It also reduces the time that the distributors have for sorting out dubbing, classification and other issues in each territory and makes it less likely that the talent will be available to promote it in as many markets. In practice, decisions on release pattern will continue to be taken on a film by film basis, with release dates generally moving closer to the initial US release.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 am