Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
I saw an advance screening of this, and frankly I'm kinda disappointed. While it is more STAR WARS than superhero yarn, that's not necessarily a good thing when it's this derivative. The tone is all over the place, ranging from mostly jokey to sudden bursts of seriousness that the characters and circumstances don't earn. The movie consistently looks great (even in 3D, where brightness levels are surprisingly appropriate) and the fight scenes are well-filmed, but it's hard to care about anyone in this movie. And the main villain, who recalls a Sith Lord without being even half as menacing, is just flat-out boring.

This isn't a terrible film; some of the jokes work here and there, and Bradley Cooper's voice-acting is terrific, but the whole thing just feels cheesy and second-rate. I'm sure most will draw AVENGERS comparisons, but STAR WARS is undoubtedly the greater "inspiration" here (I use that term loosely). For me, this is easily the weakest movie to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hopefully better projects lie ahead.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:33 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 969
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
KWRoss wrote:
I'm sure most will draw AVENGERS comparisons

Except of course without the back story movie(s) for just about every character...
Disappointed this film is so average - it looked more interesting than any of the Avengers, individually or collectively..


Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
For me the weakest Marvel film was the first Captain America film, which I found thoroughly mediocre and uninteresting. This film looks quite good and i'm definitely going to see it, we obviously have very different tastes in film(you disliked Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I personally enjoyed) and you're less then enthusiastic review only makes me want to see this film even more.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 650
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Vexer wrote:
you're less then enthusiastic review only makes me want to see this film even more.


Any particular reason why? While I doubt you intended it to be so, to me this remark reads as more than a little insulting to KWRoss.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Blonde Almond wrote:
Vexer wrote:
you're less then enthusiastic review only makes me want to see this film even more.


Any particular reason why? While I doubt you intended it to be so, to me this remark reads as more than a little insulting to KWRoss.

No reason and I certainly wasn't trying to come across as insulting. That's just how it is with me, when I hear negative stuff about something i'm interested in(be it a film, TV show, album or video game) it only increases my curiousity.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1745
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Vexer wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Vexer wrote:
you're less then enthusiastic review only makes me want to see this film even more.


Any particular reason why? While I doubt you intended it to be so, to me this remark reads as more than a little insulting to KWRoss.

No reason and I certainly wasn't trying to come across as insulting. That's just how it is with me, when I hear negative stuff about something i'm interested in(be it a film, TV show, album or video game) it only increases my curiousity.


I have that same reaction sometimes. But in this particular case, I can take Ross's word for it. Derivative is a good critical word and tends to apply to franchises that have been going on for a while and need to freshen up a bit. I know Vex doesn't agree, but I find the latter three Brosnans to be the low point of the Bond series for this reason.

I've just finished going through the entire Toho Godzilla series, and I can say that entries 26 and 27 are the low points of the 28 film series. And that's saying something, because Godzilla had some low points in the early 70s (like Bond). A movie can be poorly written, badly acted, or just plain dumb, but there's nothing worse than redundancy, especially when the filmmakers don't seem to realize they're being redundant. I think I'd take Live and Let Die over Tomorrow Never Dies because while the former may be a bit misguided and low on energy at times, it pushed the series in a new direction. And while the latter has some energy and competence, it's so blandly derivative of earlier entries that it overall bums me out.

Anyway, back on topic. It wouldn't kill the MCU to slow down a little. The substance of a series isn't judged just by the number of entries. 300 only has two entries with a 7-year gap between them, and less than 2 hours apiece, but I think they've still been able to build a solid story out of that. Any great story could be told in much less than what the MCU has been so far, but Marvel still has some people convinced that "they ain't seen nothin yet."


Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
A new direction isn't always a good thing though, and for me Live And Let Die was just far too silly and ridiculous for it's own good with all that voodoo nonsense. Trying to cross Bond with a Blaxpoitation film was just not a good idea IMO, to me Tomorrow Never Dies did not feel derivative of earlier Bond films.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:52 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 208
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
I find it curious why Guardians of the Galaxy is being compared to Star Wars in this thread. From what I've seen in the trailer, this film really feels much more in tone and appearance like Joss Whedon's cult TV series Firefly (prematurely cancelled by Fox) and its motion picture follow-up/sequel, Serenity. Even Chris Pratt's Peter Quill aka StarLord reminds me of Nathan Fillion's role of Malcolm Reynolds in that series.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Blonde Almond wrote:
Vexer wrote:
you're less then enthusiastic review only makes me want to see this film even more.


Any particular reason why? While I doubt you intended it to be so, to me this remark reads as more than a little insulting to KWRoss.


I don't feel the least bit insulted. It's fine; we all know how Vex is wired. A lot of people I talk to at work and elsewhere frankly don't care that much about reviews either. If they think the movie looks good, they'll see it.

Btw Vex, Dustin was at this screening too, although I didn't get a chance to talk to him this time. He left before most people though, which doesn't bode well.... ;)

StatGuy2000 wrote:
I find it curious why Guardians of the Galaxy is being compared to Star Wars in this thread. From what I've seen in the trailer, this film really feels much more in tone and appearance like Joss Whedon's cult TV series Firefly (prematurely cancelled by Fox) and its motion picture follow-up/sequel, Serenity. Even Chris Pratt's Peter Quill aka StarLord reminds me of Nathan Fillion's role of Malcolm Reynolds in that series.


Rocket and Groot are obviously a Han Solo/Chewie combo. But Groot just doesn't mesh well at all. His only dialogue is "I am Groot," yet somehow Rocket can understand what he's really saying? Chewie's various growls made a lot more sense. The villains are underwhelming and just feel patched together from other, better space operas.

I get Firefly/Serenity, but there's a problem. You can either make a mostly serious/thrilling space opera with comic relief, or you can go for straight-up satire. It's almost as though Marvel is trying to do both here, which is what I mean when I say the tone is all over the place.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
I don't know if Dustin leaving before others is necessarily a bad sign, he may have just had someplace else to go(he's mentioned before that he sometimes attends multiple screenings in one day) and couldn't stick around.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1745
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Got some impressions from this quite extended clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br3GjIzpeig

James Gunn's camerawork here is so static that it could've been directed just as well by Hal 9000. It looks like it's the direct product of Previz software, which makes it feel like a cutscene from one of the Starfox games. The dialogue is just too deliberate. Looks and sounds like they're reading from a script lines that they don't understand and are struggling to make sound moderately convincing. The words come out, but the actors have little conception of what they mean. Anyone who works in the industry knows that this happens occasionally, and here it's painfully obvious.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
MGamesCook wrote:
Got some impressions from this quite extended clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br3GjIzpeig

James Gunn's camerawork here is so static that it could've been directed just as well by Hal 9000. It looks like it's the direct product of Previz software, which makes it feel like a cutscene from one of the Starfox games. The dialogue is just too deliberate. Looks and sounds like they're reading from a script lines that they don't understand and are struggling to make sound moderately convincing. The words come out, but the actors have little conception of what they mean. Anyone who works in the industry knows that this happens occasionally, and here it's painfully obvious.


Sums it up well. I didn't watch that clip until now, but that's the movie in a nutshell. Like taking all the raw pieces of a superhero movie: a save-the-world plot, sci-fi gadgetry, wisecracking dialogue, a little romance, but with a haphazard approach to putting it all together.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2209
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
That clip actually makes the movie look enjoyable to me. It's funny because I wasn't always sold on this movie, but the more I see it, the more I'm looking forward to it. It looks fun.

I'm not a fan of Firefly btw. I thought that show was cheap looking, cheesy, hokey and the acting was bland, the writing terrible. But then again, I was never a fan of Joss Whedon's TV work anyway.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
ilovemovies wrote:
That clip actually makes the movie look enjoyable to me. It's funny because I wasn't always sold on this movie, but the more I see it, the more I'm looking forward to it. It looks fun.

I'm not a fan of Firefly btw. I thought that show was cheap looking, cheesy, hokey and the acting was bland, the writing terrible. But then again, I was never a fan of Joss Whedon's TV work anyway.

I like some of his TV work, my big problem is that he has a tendency to kill of likeable characters WAY too often, eventually it stopped being shocking and just got really annoying and predictable.

I disagree with McGames, I personally think the clip is good, the film seems right up my alley, i'm fine with a film being both jokey and serious at the same time, I think it can work if it's handled the right way.


Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 208
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Vexer wrote:
A new direction isn't always a good thing though, and for me Live And Let Die was just far too silly and ridiculous for it's own good with all that voodoo nonsense. Trying to cross Bond with a Blaxpoitation film was just not a good idea IMO, to me Tomorrow Never Dies did not feel derivative of earlier Bond films.


On the topic of Bond films, to be fair, pretty much all Bond films are to a certain degree derivative, in that they follow a certain template in terms of plotting, action, set-up, etc. However, whether a particular Bond film felt derivative or not depended on whether the filmmakers took the template and made it entertaining (of course, who portrayed Bond also mattered).

I agree with Vexer that Live and Let Die (along with Octopussy and The Living Daylights) was among the weakest of Bond films, with the film often going overboard in silliness. It didn't help that Roger Moore still hadn't found his footing in the Bond role (that came later with The Spy Who Loved Me) nor was Yaphet Kotto as the villain particularly convincing (in a Bond film, the choice of the villain matters).

As far as Brosnan is concerned, I actually thought he was a more than capable Bond, and greatly enjoyed all of his films in that role. Tomorrow Never Dies was actually the best of the Brosnan Bond films, with Brosnan being confident and poised in the role and with a superbly formidable villain in the form of Jonathan Pryce.


Last edited by StatGuy2000 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:12 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
This sits at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes through 25 reviews, some of which are raves. Did we see the same movie?

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:33 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1424
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
KWRoss wrote:
This sits at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes through 25 reviews, some of which are raves. Did we see the same movie?


No one of note (from my perspective) has dropped in a review yet; I think this happens with almost all blockbusters these days, when they allow the big budget-friendly critics to see it first. The only name I recognize is Eric Kohn, whose B aligns closer to your opinion.


Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2209
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Chris Stuckmann is a guy I watch on youtube and he absolutely loved it. Gave it an A.


Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1745
Post Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
KWRoss wrote:
This sits at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes through 25 reviews, some of which are raves. Did we see the same movie?


You're a legend, Ross. For a solid week I think you're the only one on the internet willing to say it's not that good a movie. Seriously, that's pretty cool.

I've read some of those reviews, and it just feels like the critics aren't taking their own reviews all that seriously. Especially the one from Tom Huddleston, there's a subtle sense of sarcasm about everything he wrote on it. Odd.


Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr