Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 am

Movies you've seen that need more attention 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Movies you've seen that need more attention
thered47 wrote:
The second was Hedwig and the Angry Inch, my personal favorite queer themed film of all time, but it's never been released on blu-ray.

Oh Hedwig is a wonderful film. Creative, thoughtful, brimming with emotion but still just plain fun. John Cameron Mitchell is one of the great minds of our times, more people should read his writings on gay culture. I absolutely adore this man.

The Descent, in my mind, remains the best horror movie to have come out in fucking years, and its almost ten years old itself (damn). As far as other modern horror films go, I always found High Tension to be a underrated gem. A gnarly piece of business that lives up to its name while lovingly embracing gnarly ass films from throughout the years.

Another that deserves it's place on this list is Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. I still don't think Lynch has come out with a more devastating or beautiful film.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 am
Auteur

Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy was unfortunately overlooked as it did really badly at the box-office and was quickly forgotten, damn shame as I feel that it greatly improves upon the film original film.

ilovemovies- I personally would say that the 1995 Fair Game is overlooked, for me it was pure dumb fun at it's best.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:40 am
Director

A couple more that could stand more attention.

Harsh Times. This was David Ayer's directorial debut (after writing Training Day) and features a fantastic performance from Christian Bale as a scarred Iraq war vet trying to re-adjust to life.

The We And The I. Michel Gondry's 2012 film suffered from a limited release and no name stars. But it's one of the better recent teen films. It follows a group of them on the bus home from school on the last day. Gondry chooses not to impose a plot on them and just let the characters speak for themselves.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 am
Director

Quote:
The We And The I. Michel Gondry's 2012 film suffered from a limited release and no name stars. But it's one of the better recent teen films. It follows a group of them on the bus home from school on the last day. Gondry chooses not to impose a plot on them and just let the characters speak for themselves.

Yeah, this and Palo Alto were both pretty good. We and the I is basically an independent media project done in conjunction with a community college, I believe. It has a powerful sense of reality, for sure. By the end, it almost feels like these kids could have constructed this project entirely on there own, and that Gondry was just there to supervise. Aside from a few shots, Gondry mostly subdues his signatures. He simply makes the actors the best that they can be. And the realism is truly sharp because these aren't real actors. Most of them are perhaps not so different from the characters they depict. A true cinematic document, in a sense.

Speaking of recent teen films, I'll once again champion Detention as a must-see satire on millennials. It's the most original work I know of from the last few years and few action blockbusters ever made can match its relentless energy.

On the queer cinema front, Kaboom was pretty interesting.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 am
Producer

I agree on Harsh Times. When it came out, a lot of people compared it to Training Day. But I actually think it's better than Training Day. It's a more nuanced, complex movie.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 am
Director

Housekeeping is a Bill Forsyth film about two orphaned sisters who go through several relatives until their mad aunt comes to stay with them. One sister rejects the aunt while the other embraces her. Excellent movie but hard to find, (4/4)

The Wizard of Speed and Time is a movie about a special-effects wizard who tries to make a low-budget film and has to negotiate the madness of studio politics. Very funny, with a great short with stop-motion effects at the end. An absolute delight that barely got a VHS release and no DVD release. The film derives from a short by special-effects whiz Mike Jittlov--the same short you see in the film.(3.5/4)

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm
Auteur

Renegades- an underrated action from the 80s that has so far never even got a DVD release.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Mr. Nobody- 2009 film starring Jared Leto. Portrays different paths for the main character's life based on critical choices he makes. Kind of Synecdoche, New York-ish and very very good. It's streaming on Netflix so check it out.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Steven wrote:
Mr. Nobody- 2009 film starring Jared Leto. Portrays different paths for the main character's life based on critical choices he makes. Kind of Synecdoche, New York-ish and very very good. It's streaming on Netflix so check it out.

Seconded.

I'll add, In My Father's Den (2004). Quite possibly the best film New Zealand has ever produced (but we don't produce all that many). Even here, this film is really not that well known.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385017/

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:59 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Housekeeping is a Bill Forsyth film about two orphaned sisters who go through several relatives until their mad aunt comes to stay with them. One sister rejects the aunt while the other embraces her. Excellent movie but hard to find, (4/4)

This one's actually available on DVD(-R) from Sony via their MOD program. I'm still waiting for any sort of releases of Forsyth's "That Sinking Feeling" and "Comfort and Joy" myself. :ugeek:

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 pm
Director

I've been waiting for Comfort and Joy for a long time.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:36 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is one that more people should see. Why this gem took so many years to get a distributor is beyond me.

The Revenant
is another one that was the darling of the horror film festival circuit but didn't get a wide release. The best horror/comedy/buddy/vampire/zombie/road movie/action/satire I've seen in a while. Worth seeking out.

Four Lions is the best comedy about terrorism ever made.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:32 am
Auteur

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane is a criminally overlooked slasher film that absolutely did not deserve to get jerked around by the Weinstein's and left sitting on the shelves for eight years.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:02 pm