Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Boyhood is still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes... 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Boyhood is still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...
And it nearly has 100 reviews there too. Metacritic is reporting a score of 99. Could this be one of the highest reviewed movies we're likely to see in a long time? And do you think that its July release date will hurt its award prospects, which by all accounts it deserves?

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Boyhood is still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...
Not really sure about the answer to either question, especially the second (we haven't even hit Fall yet). The numbers are staggering for sure, and I'm fascinated by how this movie was crafted (film a few scenes each year over the course of 12 years with the same cast). It'll come to my area on Friday the 18th, and I'll definitely see it that weekend to see what all the fuss is about.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:29 am
Director

Didn't Michael Apted already do this? Not to mention this guy?:

It's an easy film for critics to like, but not really an original idea.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:40 am
Producer

The Up series that Michael Apted did were documentaries. This sounds like the first time it's ever been done as a non-doc movie.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:16 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
The Up series that Michael Apted did were documentaries. This sounds like the first time it's ever been done as a non-doc movie.

It's the same thing. It's following one person through a certain period of their life, documenting it. If the only difference is that a screenplay is constructed around that person, it's not really much of a difference. Besides which, that's been done before too, with the Antoine Doinel character from 400 Blows. But from what Linklater has said, that's not too much the case, as scenes were often improvised. The genre may not officially be documentary, but it's still a largely real document.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:20 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

It's the same thing. It's following one person through a certain period of their life, documenting it. If the only difference is that a screenplay is constructed around that person, it's not really much of a difference. Besides which, that's been done before too, with the Antoine Doinel character from 400 Blows. But from what Linklater has said, that's not too much the case, as scenes were often improvised. The genre may not officially be documentary, but it's still a largely real document.

It probably has more in common with Linklater's own BEFORE series than anything else. The only difference here is that it compresses 12 years of people growing/aging into a single movie. I admit it's not completely original, but then again it doesn't have to be. Sounds to me like critics are responding to the story itself and how real it supposedly feels.

At any rate, I was thinking of creating a thread for this movie, but sunshineisles2 already beat me to the punch.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm
Director

Just saw this today. It's a very good movie, very involving and every conversation has an undeniable ring of truth to it. I'm impressed that lead actor Ellar Coltrane remains completely natural and authentic at every age. Also, while events are seen predominantly through his character's eyes, the movie also does a great job with his mother as well. The concept of a woman who goes from bad relationship to bad relationship with kids in tow sounds soap-opera-ish, but this one dodges the trap.

There are minor, nagging flaws. For a move that emphasizes the passage of time and growth/change, it doesn't give us enough of Ethan Hawke's character, who undergoes a transformation from semi-deadbeat Dad to a responsible one. I wanted to see more of what drove him. It's also possible to argue that the movie moves too fast, that compressing 12 years of growth into a single movie, even one as long as 2 hours 45 minutes, is hard to pull off without feeling a least a little artificial. A mini-series treatment for this would've been perfect and really tightened up the focus.

I'm not as high on this as many critics, but I still definitely recommend everyone seek it out. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone involved in making this that they were able to stick it out for all 12 years. Even though they filmed for no more than a week each year, that's still a huge commitment.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I give you Doinel, to a certain degree, but not the Up series.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:14 pm