Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:18 am

Blonde Almond Goes Through His Werner Herzog Collection 
Cinematographer

Post Blonde Almond Goes Through His Werner Herzog Collection
I had an awkward moment this afternoon when a package showed up at my house for something I didn't remember ordering. Upon opening up the box, I found myself staring at this beautiful thing:

I suppose it's a moment that happens in any obsessive's life, when you realize you made an impulse preorder online months back and almost completely forgot about it until the day it showed up on your doorstep. I'm thinking I must have wanted to reward myself after moving from a contract to a permanent work position sometime in late March or early April. Yeah, that must have been it....

Anyway, I thought maybe this would be a decent opportunity for a new thread. There are 16 films in this collection:

EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL
LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS
FATA MORGANA
AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD
THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER
HEART OF GLASS
STROSZEK
WOYZECK
NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE
FITZCARRALDO
BALLAD OF LITTLE SOLDIER
WHERE THE GREEN ANTS DREAM
COBRA VERDE
LESSONS OF DARKNESS
LITTLE DIETER NEEDS TO FLY
MY BEST FIEND

Of those 16, I've only seen 5 of them, and even with those it's been several years. So I wanted to work my way through them all, offering up some extended thoughts on each as I went along. I'll probably start up with the first film in the next few days here, and then work my way down the list at my own pace. Not sure how high the interest level would be on here for some of these, but I've been looking for something to get me a little more active with writing again, and thought this was as good an opportunity as any.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Blonde Almond Goes Through His Werner Herzog Collection
Anything that gets you to post more is a good thing. ;) Seen and loved Aguirre, have Fitzcarraldo coming up in the competition, and want to get around Nosferatu for a long time. After that I'd probably use this thread for future recommendation. My Best Friend is a doc about him and Klaus Kinski, I believe? Anyway, subscribed.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 am
Assistant Director

I've heard great things about some of Herzog's films, particularly Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. However, I've only seen Rescue Dawn and I really wasn't impressed by that. Ironically, the best thing about that film was Steve Zahn.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
I've heard great things about some of Herzog's films, particularly Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. However, I've only seen Rescue Dawn and I really wasn't impressed by that. Ironically, the best thing about that film was Steve Zahn.

See Aguirre. PLEASE see Aguirre. If I made a Top 20 best movies of all time list, it would make it on there

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am
Director

Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo are great films. The latter is a lot of fun, Aguirre is very dark. The only other one of those I've tried is LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS, which is a documentary about a deaf-blind woman. Couldn't get into that one.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
See Aguirre. PLEASE see Aguirre. If I made a Top 20 best movies of all time list, it would make it on there

Not sure if this is an endorsement... would Z be on that list too? <ducks>.
Actually Aguirre film sounds like my cuppa - will be checking it out hopefully this month.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not sure if this is an endorsement... would Z be on that list too? <ducks>.
Actually Aguirre film sounds like my cuppa - will be checking it out hopefully this month.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you're the only person in the world/forum who doesn't recognize the brilliance. :D

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:20 pm