Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:42 am

Malcolm X 
Director

Post Malcolm X
The movie, not the man. But I guess if anyone wants to say a few words about him, it would be okay here.

I've decided that if I ever win JB's Oscar contest, I'll have him review Malcolm X. I recently read The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and it reinforced just how great Spike Lee's film is. I've come to appreciate it more as the years have passed, and reading the Autobiography deepens and enriches the film. Lee really makes Malcolm's world come to life, and I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that this might be Denzel Washington's greatest career performance.

However, where this film excels is in a place a lot of other biopics fail. Films like Ray and Walk the Line mostly fall flat because they fail to answer a basic question: Why should we care? Why is this person's story important? Malcolm X does not fall into that trapping. We get a clear understanding of why Malcolm is such an important figure in history, and especially why black Americans revere him so much. Malcolm is a living, breathing person in Lee's film, and he's not just reduced to being a historical figure.

Of course it's a political film. Malcolm's philosophies scared the bejezus out of white people (and some black people). To some extent they still do. But I, as a white man, was able to appreciate where Malcolm was coming and why after viewing this film. That is a big part of what makes it so great.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:39 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Malcolm X
I haven't seen it in a loooong time, but I always remember the tone of the first half being a bit awkward. Still, a good film and a great performance, but a rewatch might be due.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I've yet to see this film, mostly because I don't admire the subject. But still, it's Spike Lee and Denzel Washington, so into the queue it goes. Maybe I'll even come to admire Mr. X.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 pm
Director

Probably Spike Lee's finest film (although Do The Right Thing is my personal favorite) and the best film of 1992. It also gets my pick as one of the top ten bio-pics of all time.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I've decided that if I ever win JB's Oscar contest, I'll have him review Malcolm X. I recently read The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and it reinforced just how great Spike Lee's film is. I've come to appreciate it more as the years have passed, and reading the Autobiography deepens and enriches the film. Lee really makes Malcolm's world come to life, and I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that this might be Denzel Washington's greatest career performance.

However, where this film excels is in a place a lot of other biopics fail. Films like Ray and Walk the Line mostly fall flat because they fail to answer a basic question: Why should we care? Why is this person's story important? Malcolm X does not fall into that trapping. We get a clear understanding of why Malcolm is such an important figure in history, and especially why black Americans revere him so much. Malcolm is a living, breathing person in Lee's film, and he's not just reduced to being a historical figure.

Of course it's a political film. Malcolm's philosophies scared the bejezus out of white people (and some black people). To some extent they still do. But I, as a white man, was able to appreciate where Malcolm was coming and why after viewing this film. That is a big part of what makes it so great.

Agreed 100%. Another reason why this is my favorite bio-pic is that it succeeds where so many that try to cover a person's whole life fail. Some aspect of it gets shortchanged. Not here. Lee's passion for the subject shows through.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:31 am
Producer

It's been a while since I've seen it but I thought it was a masterpiece. I also think Denzel gives one of the greatest performances of all time in this movie. How he didn't win best actor is beyond me.

Also, how the hell did Spike Lee not even get nominated, let alone win! I love Unforgiven as much as the next guy, but Spike should have been nominated and he should have won.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:59 am