Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 pm

25th Anniversary Of Do The Right Thing-6/30 
Director

Post 25th Anniversary Of Do The Right Thing-6/30
30 years since Spike Lee released this masterpiece. The best film of 1989 and one of my top ten of all-time.

Lee fills the picture with real characters. Most filmmakers would draw clear lines between the heroes and villains. Lee sees deeper. At heart all of the characters, even the deeply racist Pino (John Turturro), are human.

There's also a large amount of humor in the film, some sobering (the slurs scene) some laugh out loud funny (Samuel L Jackson's monologues and various off-color remarks).

Just as important, Lee never lets the film become preachy. Unlike Crash, which tried to tell a personal story in the context of making a point, this one focuses primarily on the story and characters and from there we get the point.

Yet this film, despite being the best picture of the year, did not get a Best Picture Oscar nomination. The award itself went to Driving Miss Daisy. It was the 1990 version of what happened to Raging Bull 9 years earlier. The same thing happened later on. Today, Do The Right Thing is justly regarded as a classic. I don't know anyone who watches Daisy anymore.

Spike Lee went on to make films that were good and ones that were even more ambitious (Malcolm X). But he's never topped this one.

Thoughts?

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:41 pm
Director

Post Re: 25th Anniversary Of Do The Right Thing-6/30
What a fantastic film. Easily one of the best of the 1980s, and another classic example of a movie ignored by the Academy but having far-reaching legs.

The even-handedness of which it portrays everyone is remarkable. Everyone is painted in shades of grey; the events that result are a classic example of mis-communication and internalized tension hitting the boiling point. And even though it's been 25 years, not one moment of this movie feels dated. The issues it raises haven't changed at all.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm
Auteur

I did an oral report on Spike Lee and this was the film I chose to watch, I wasn't blown away the first time but I did appreciate it more later on.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I did an oral report on Spike Lee and this was the film I chose to watch, I wasn't blown away the first time but I did appreciate it more later on.

Did you use lots of "finger quotes"..?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 am
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Did you use lots of "finger quotes"..?

No, it was years before I developed that trademark, at the time(2004) I didn't even know what a forum was.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:06 am