Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Rush 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Rush
What did Reelviewers make of this film.

I thought it a very good look at contrasting approaches to life

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:00 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1717
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Rush
It was all right. It got the basics of the Hunt/Lauda rivalry right, and you get a good idea of what F1 racing was really like in the 70s. They did whitewash Hunt a little; he was a notorious womanizer, and would usually sleep with 8-10 women during a Grand Prix weekend. He was also known to take a bump of coke before a race, something that was left out of the film.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1565
Post Re: Rush
One of Ron Howard's better films. It offered interesting takes on Hunt and Lauda. Not one of the best of 2013. But a worthwhile view.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:12 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Rush
Not one of Howard's best, a rather middling and forgettable biopic overall.


Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Rush
Honestly, my reaction to this movie was this: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

It's well made, the acting is fine/okay but I just didn't find the movie to be all that interesting. I'm a huge fan of Ron Howard's but IMO this is one of his lesser efforts.


Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:55 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Rush
I kinda loved it (though still not being very high in my 2013 ranking), for the style and the larger-than-life approach to both characterization and story. I've never warmed up to putting a sports film among my favorites until Warrior came along and made me realize that I am not keen on the one-man perspective. Building both sides up as legitimate and involving characters is more compelling to me. Rush followed my preference of this type of sports film nicely. Not as good as Warrior for me, but very entertaining with a great performance by Daniel Brühl.


Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Rush
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It was all right. It got the basics of the Hunt/Lauda rivalry right, and you get a good idea of what F1 racing was really like in the 70s. They did whitewash Hunt a little; he was a notorious womanizer, and would usually sleep with 8-10 women during a Grand Prix weekend. He was also known to take a bump of coke before a race, something that was left out of the film.


Yeah, he was a rascal until his dying day. F*cker had it all though! Sport needs its James Hunts.

Even when he was a commentator up until his untimely death, Murray Walker said he'd turn up after catching the bus across town (he couldn't afford to run a car owed to his lifestyle choices), he'd then neck 2 bottles of wine during the race he was commentating on. And women just threw themselves at him.

In all honesty, I don't think the film whitewashed him. It may have sanitized his excesses, but I was left in no doubt that his sole purpose in life was to womanize and indulge in all a manner of vices.

peng wrote:
I kinda loved it (though still not being very high in my 2013 ranking), for the style and the larger-than-life approach to both characterization and story. I've never warmed up to putting a sports film among my favorites until Warrior came along and made me realize that I am not keen on the one-man perspective. Building both sides up as legitimate and involving characters is more compelling to me. Rush followed my preference of this type of sports film nicely. Not as good as Warrior for me, but very entertaining with a great performance by Daniel Brühl.


That's what I like about Rush. It doesn't take a shallow moral highground by telling us whose approach to life is right or best. Both Hunt and Lauda were extreme guys, but for different reasons. Both could have borrowed from one-another. And it was a nice flourish that beneath the sometimes bitter rivalry, there was a lot of mutual respect and friendship between them.


Interesting that both Ilovemovies and Vexer profess to be Howard fans, but don't like the film. I'm the opposite, I dislike Howard as a film maker, but like this.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 421
Post Re: Rush
I thought 'Rush' was a solid movie, although not a particularly good one. I mostly wondered why they made James Hunt the protagonist of the story, when Niki Lauda's story seems to be so much more interesting.


Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 943
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Rush
I'm on board with most here. It's a middling effort, and one I had already largely forgotten. I rated it a 7 - i.e. what it does it does well. The film focuses on historic rivalry between two people I have never heard of, competing in a sport I don't watch. That said, the craftsmanship of the film itself is good and the acting and story were engaging enough, so not a complete snoozer for me.


Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:31 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Rush
Unke wrote:
I thought 'Rush' was a solid movie, although not a particularly good one. I mostly wondered why they made James Hunt the protagonist of the story, when Niki Lauda's story seems to be so much more interesting.


Because Hunt is a personality, and personality counts.

It's why the football world still loves Paul Gascoigne but has largely forgotten Andreas Moller, despite their comparable talents.

Know what I mean? You'd make the crux of the film about Gazza

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:50 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Rush
I actually think this is another aspect that mirrors Warrior. We have one side that has a superior performance (Tom Hardy, Daniel Bruhl) with a more interesting background/story, so the more traditional side has more screentime for development to level the playing field.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:01 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Rush
Any dramatization about sporting rivalry will require one larger than life personality.

Fortunately sport is pretty good at providing these. Lauda is an exceptional champion and an exceptional man, but a film about him is largely a documentary. A film about Hunt is a film.

But like I say, Rush does well to show their contrasting personalities with a good degree of balance. Lauda is the greater champion, but his career and life makes more sense and have more purpose with Hunt as his rival, friend, antagonist & someone he hates and admires and envies in equal measure.

I don't think it's a great, great film, but it is an interesting look at their dynamic. How two completely contrasting people balance each other out.

Even reflected in real life, with how Lauda survives and thrives despite his great injuries, whilst Hunt kamikazes into a fatal heart attack at 45

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:49 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 421
Post Re: Rush
NotHughGrant wrote:
Unke wrote:
I thought 'Rush' was a solid movie, although not a particularly good one. I mostly wondered why they made James Hunt the protagonist of the story, when Niki Lauda's story seems to be so much more interesting.


Because Hunt is a personality, and personality counts.

It's why the football world still loves Paul Gascoigne but has largely forgotten Andreas Moller, despite their comparable talents.

Know what I mean? You'd make the crux of the film about Gazza


You might be seeing things through Union Jack coloured spectacles there. Gascoigne was a well-known player, but not such a big deal in Germany and, I guess, outside of Britain in general. "Gazza" actually didn't win many titles - an FA cup, two Scottish championships and two Scottish FA Cups. No international titles. He also flopped in Serie A at Lazio.

Contrast this record with Andy Möller: Two German championships, one German FA Cup, a Champions League title and the Club World Cup with Borussia Dortmund, the UEFA Cup with Juventus and two German FA cups with Schalke. And, of course, he won the World Cup in 1990 (albeit as a substitute) and Euro 1996. In Germany at least, Möller has a higher profile.

Bu I understand your point. You would indeed rather make a movie about a slightly unhinged and supremely talented player, who literally pisses away his talent and ends up being a drunk wreck of a man, than about a very professional and supremely talented player who wins a lot, but doesn't have much of a profile outside of the playing field and who was also quite unpopular (in Germany) because he had th ereputation of a diver and cry-baby.

Let's get back to 'Rush', though. This time, it might be my continental specs, but I had never heard of James Hunt before watching the movie, probably because I was never really interested in Formula 1. I did know of Niki Lauda, though, mostly because he survived a horror crash and went on to win another World Champion title a few years after. Quite apart from my anecdotal observations, the movie itself makes Lauda more interesting than Hunt: Hunt is portrayed as a 70ies playboy, a talented driver who doesn't quite realise his potential and that's it. In contrast, 'Rush' shows Lauda going against his father's wishes and becoming a racing driver after borrowing his own money, winning the legendary Scuderia Ferrari's first championship in decades, advocating more safety for drivers, surviving a horrific crash and coming back to nearly win the title in the same season. That's why I find it strange that the movie would focus on Hunt. (I speculate that the fact that Hunt was British and good-looking was the primary reason for making him the central character. People don't really want to watch movies about ugly Austrians not called Arnold Schwarzenegger, do they?)


Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2473
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Rush
Unke wrote:

You might be seeing things through Union Jack coloured spectacles there. Gascoigne was a well-known player, but not such a big deal in Germany and, I guess, outside of Britain in general. "Gazza" actually didn't win many titles - an FA cup, two Scottish championships and two Scottish FA Cups. No international titles. He also flopped in Serie A at Lazio.

Contrast this record with Andy Möller: Two German championships, one German FA Cup, a Champions League title and the Club World Cup with Borussia Dortmund, the UEFA Cup with Juventus and two German FA cups with Schalke. And, of course, he won the World Cup in 1990 (albeit as a substitute) and Euro 1996. In Germany at least, Möller has a higher profile.


You misunderstand slightly, Unke. I'm praising Moller. If I asked a typical Brit who was better in Gazza and Moller, they'd say Gazza without a second thought. But as someone whose football knowledge is second to none, I'd lump for Moller on the basis of his comparable talents (although with less obvious flair), and greater achievements.

But in Gazza's defence, he suffered two career-wrecking injuries within a 3 year period and still came back a decent, if diluted player. For 2 or 3 years beforehand he was rampant. YouTube is at your fingertips for proof.

Quote:
Bu I understand your point. You would indeed rather make a movie about a slightly unhinged and supremely talented player, who literally pisses away his talent and ends up being a drunk wreck of a man, than about a very professional and supremely talented player who wins a lot, but doesn't have much of a profile outside of the playing field and who was also quite unpopular (in Germany) because he had th ereputation of a diver and cry-baby.


Nothing to do with being a diver and a cry baby. He's just a guy with a mullet, and not even an ironically good one.

Quote:
Let's get back to 'Rush', though. This time, it might be my continental specs, but I had never heard of James Hunt before watching the movie, probably because I was never really interested in Formula 1. I did know of Niki Lauda, though, mostly because he survived a horror crash and went on to win another World Champion title a few years after. Quite apart from my anecdotal observations, the movie itself makes Lauda more interesting than Hunt: Hunt is portrayed as a 70ies playboy, a talented driver who doesn't quite realise his potential and that's it. In contrast, 'Rush' shows Lauda going against his father's wishes and becoming a racing driver after borrowing his own money


I get you. But within the community, Hunt was a pretty big deal. And he himself went against his Father's wishes in similar circumstances.

Quote:
winning the legendary Scuderia Ferrari's first championship in decades, advocating more safety for drivers, surviving a horrific crash and coming back to nearly win the title in the same season. That's why I find it strange that the movie would focus on Hunt. (I speculate that the fact that Hunt was British and good-looking was the primary reason for making him the central character. People don't really want to watch movies about ugly Austrians not called Arnold Schwarzenegger, do they?)


British is irrelevant. Hunt a world champion and a handsome libertine who screwed literally thousands of women and drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney. This is the stuff sports legends are made of. It was ever thus.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:38 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 372
Post Re: Rush
Watched this tonight after reading through this thread. I gotta say, I thought this movie was quite exceptional. And I stand with Hugh about the contrast between lifestyles/approaches. Hemsworth has some serious acting chops and he held this movie together really well. I think Ron Howard actually killed it with this. The ending was really put together well, and was effective in getting it's point across.

Pleasantly surprised.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:40 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr