Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 am

40th Anniversary of Chinatown. 
Director

Post 40th Anniversary of Chinatown.
Saw it noted elsewhere that today is the 40th anniversary of the release of the greatest neo-noir of all-time. One of my top ten.

Thoughts?

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:23 pm
Director

Post Re: 40th Anniversary of Chinatown.
It's worth every bit of its reputation. Sadly, I doubt anyone would make something like it today, except as one of those projects designed from Day 1 to win Oscars.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:12 pm
Critic

I love -- love -- Chinatown. I've loved it since i was a little kid, and one of the things that I retroactively adore about myself is the fact that at age 11 I watched this movie and saw its greatness. How many 6th graders bring Chinatown to a sleepover at a friend's house to show? I did!

But enough about me, let's talk about the movie.

It has Jack Nicholson in his all-time best role. Watch his acting at the end when it finally dawns on him that he is going to lose. He's kept his cool for 120 minutes but then the mask of ironic detachment slips away as he realizes how things are about to turn out. It's an amazing performance.

It is a perfect anti-auteur movie. Polanski is a master, but he's got help from one of the best scripts ever written (that Roman himself had the good sense to change the ending of) Robert Towne producing and incredible actors at the tops of their games. A collaboration that speaks to Hollywood at its finest.

John Huston is an incredible villain. Listening to him say even banal statements makes the hairs on my neck stand up.
Nicholson: "How much better can you eat? What can you possibly buy that you can't already afford?
Huston: (incredulous -- this seems so obvious to him) "The future, Mr. Gittes! The future!"

The moment where Jack Nicholson is about to leave, is humoring the gardener, and then hears him say "Salt water -- bad for the grass" and stops dead in his tracks. Such a great a-ha moment! Love that part.

I could go on and on if you guys want!

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:06 am
Second Unit Director

[quote="]

I could go on and on if you guys want![/quote]

Please do.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:19 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I love -- love -- Chinatown. I've loved it since i was a little kid, and one of the things that I retroactively adore about myself is the fact that at age 11 I watched this movie and saw its greatness. How many 6th graders bring Chinatown to a sleepover at a friend's house to show? I did!

But enough about me, let's talk about the movie.

It has Jack Nicholson in his all-time best role. Watch his acting at the end when it finally dawns on him that he is going to lose. He's kept his cool for 120 minutes but then the mask of ironic detachment slips away as he realizes how things are about to turn out. It's an amazing performance.

It is a perfect anti-auteur movie. Polanski is a master, but he's got help from one of the best scripts ever written (that Roman himself had the good sense to change the ending of) Robert Towne producing and incredible actors at the tops of their games. A collaboration that speaks to Hollywood at its finest.

John Huston is an incredible villain. Listening to him say even banal statements makes the hairs on my neck stand up.
Nicholson: "How much better can you eat? What can you possibly buy that you can't already afford?
Huston: (incredulous -- this seems so obvious to him) "The future, Mr. Gittes! The future!"

The moment where Jack Nicholson is about to leave, is humoring the gardener, and then hears him say "Salt water -- bad for the grass" and stops dead in his tracks. Such a great a-ha moment! Love that part.

I could go on and on if you guys want!

Sounds like I need to get around to seeing this one.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

:lol: :lol: That's not bad. Were you asked to leave your friends house for being a freak? Did you get a ride over with your parent's? What colour was the car?

James', it's great you love a film that most consider to be a classic, yet others find a little over rated, a little boring. While alot of us were watching The Empire Stikes Back and Jaws, you were going around showing the brilliance of Chinatown to your friends in grade 6. You the boy! You the teacher!!

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm
Critic

wisey wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

:lol: :lol: That's not bad. Were you asked to leave your friends house for being a freak? Did you get a ride over with your parent's? What colour was the car?

James', it's great you love a film that most consider to be a classic, yet others find a little over rated, a little boring. While alot of us were watching The Empire Stikes Back and Jaws, you were going around showing the brilliance of Chinatown to your friends in grade 6. You the boy! You the teacher!!

Did I mention that I also watched Jaws everytime I went to my grandparents' house, as it was the only movie of theirs I liked, and assigned roles to everyone? I got to be Brody. Grandpa Chuck had to be the shark.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 pm