Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Steven blatantly rips off Peng's movie competition! 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Steven blatantly rips off Peng's movie competition!
Steven wrote:
Film: A Streetcar Named Desire
Competitor: Thief12
Score: 3.5/4

First and foremost, A Streetcar Named Desire is a triumph of acting. There are great performances from the whole cast, but the performances of Vivian Leigh and Marlon Brando deserve special recognition. Brando's performance is entirely gripping, and he brings a lot of range to the role. Leigh's performance reminded me quite a bit of Cate Blanchett's turn in last year's Blue Jasmine. Both are excellent, unreserved performances. This film is a hell of a lot darker than anything else from 1951, I'm sure. It's willingness to probe the darker parts of its characters psyches is much appreciated. Technically well done as well, particularly the shadowy lighting emphasizing the film's mood throughout.

Standings
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief12

Next up: Vexer's Resident Evil

Woohoo! Glad you liked it. I have to say, about 2-3 years ago, I don't think I had seen anything from Brando other than "recent stuff" like The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, and The Score. But during these last years, I've seen On the Waterfront and Streetcar and I was blown away both times by Brando's performance. Wow. Such a great, effortless actor. But I also agree that Leigh was superb as well.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Film: Resident Evil
Competitor: Vexer
Score: 1/4

I was really hoping that I could watch this movie and get a good bit of fun out of it, but that wasn't the case. I can think of very few movies where I've cared less about what was happening on screen. An incredibly basic plot and thinly-drawn characters were of no interest to me. The bad acting and dialogue didn't help at all. The direction by Anderson was competent and I have to give credit to the more than decent set pieces, but this movie was really a massive bore to me. I really wish I could have had a better time with it. (That laser-hall sequence was pretty damn cool though.)

Standings
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
3) Vexer 1

Next up: unwindfilm's Gattaca

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Film: Gattaca
Competitor: unwindfilms
Score: 3/4

Gattaca is a thought-provoking, well-acted, sci-fi film. The ethical questions about science and discrimination raised throughout the film make it very interesting. The film is technically well-made, with well-composed shots, some fantastically edited sequences, and an excellent score. Solid performances throughout, Ethan Hawke is a good choice for the lead role. What I found to be the most interesting aspect of the film was the relationship between Hawke's character Anton and Jude Law's character Eugene. It is interesting to see them essentially become each other and watch how their relationship evolves as they grow used to that fact. A solid flick.

Standings
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief12 3.5
3) unwindfilms 3
4) Vexer 1

Next up: H.I. McDonough's Viridiana

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Steven wrote:

Gattaca is a thought-provoking, well-acted, sci-fi film. The ethical questions about science and discrimination raised throughout the film make it very interesting. The film is technically well-made, with well-composed shots, some fantastically edited sequences, and an excellent score. Solid performances throughout, Ethan Hawke is a good choice for the lead role. What I found to be the most interesting aspect of the film was the relationship between Hawke's character Anton and Jude Law's character Eugene. It is interesting to see them essentially become each other and watch how their relationship evolves as they grow used to that fact. A solid flick.

Oh I Loved Gattaca , the tagline (There is not gene for the human spirit) of this film has always stayed with me since I saw it. My two favourites reviewers (Berardinelli and Ebert) gave it 3.5 too . Glad that you liked it but a bit disappointed that you did not loved it.

Attachments:
Gattaca.jpg
Gattaca.jpg [ 20.13 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Ironically, I rewatched both Gattaca and Resident Evil about two weeks ago: the first intentionally, the latter by chance on TV. IMO, Gattaca falls short of masterpiece-level, but it's still a great, great film. Well acted and beautifully directed.

As for Resident Evil, I do think it's an entertaining film. I never cared enough to see the sequels, but I did like this one for what it was, and it's one of those films that I typically end up watching when it's on TV.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Steven wrote:

Oh I Loved Gattaca , the tagline (There is not gene for the human spirit) of this film has always stayed with me since I saw it. My two favourites reviewers (Berardinelli and Ebert) gave it 3.5 too . Glad that you liked it but a bit disappointed that you did not loved it.

I find it kind of amusing that on all DVD reissues of the film they've now gone out of their way to integrate Jude Law into the cover art now that he's a household name :geek: :

Image Image

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 pm
Second Unit Director

Film: Viridiana
Competitor: H.I. McDonough
Score 3/4

Luis Bunuel's Viridiana presents an incredibly bleak view of life and the human condition. In the film, the eponymous young nun makes the descent from purity to debauchery. The film also functions as a critique of organized religion, a critique that I understand is present in many of Bunuel's films. (This is the first of his I've seen.) The film is filled with sexual frankness, moral depravity, and the inability for good to be done even when Viridiana attempts to by sheltering several homeless beggars. The beggars turn out to be degenerates, and when left on their own they do as they please. The film only receives three stars from me because, although the social critique is sharp and effective, I found it to be quite boring much of the time. The direction is great, and I have one question about it in particular for anyone who's seen the film. In one sequence shots of Viridiana and the beggars praying are intercut with shots of work being done. Could anyone tell me the significnce of this? I couldn't figure it out for myself. Overall though, Viridiana is excellent social commentary, although it is often a slog, even at a concise 90 minutes.

Standings
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
3) H.I. McDonough 3
3) unwindfilms 3
5) Vexer 1

Next up: Syd Henderson's Nashville

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Film: Nashville
Competitor: Syd Henderson

Robert Altman's Nashville is a film packed with ideas, characters, and themes. In fact, its largest flaw might be its scope. It was almost too much for me to take in in one sitting. This is a film I'm sure I'll return to, and once I have more time to spend with the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if I bumped it up to four stars. Nashville examines many facets of the human condition. The film's decision to focus on so many characters gives it the opportunity to touch on different emotions and ways of living in each character. I'm sure just about anybody can find somebody to relate to in Nashville. This is the best film I've seen so far this competition, and I'm convinced it's a near-masterpiece. I look forward to seeing it again, probably many more times.

Standings
1) Syd Henderson 3.5
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
4) H.I. McDonough 3
4) unwindfilms 3
6) Vexer 1

Next up: NotHughGrant's Munich

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Steven wrote:

Robert Altman's Nashville is a film packed with ideas, characters, and themes. In fact, its largest flaw might be its scope. It was almost too much for me to take in in one sitting. This is a film I'm sure I'll return to, and once I have more time to spend with the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if I bumped it up to four stars. Nashville examines many facets of the human condition. The film's decision to focus on so many characters gives it the opportunity to touch on different emotions and ways of living in each character. I'm sure just about anybody can find somebody to relate to in Nashville. This is the best film I've seen so far this competition, and I'm convinced it's a near-masterpiece. I look forward to seeing it again, probably many more times.

Standings
1) Syd Henderson 3.5
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
4) H.I. McDonough 3
4) unwindfilms 3
6) Vexer 1

This is a movie that got better and better the more I thought about it.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:03 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Steven wrote:

Standings
1) Syd Henderson 3.5
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
4) H.I. McDonough 3
4) unwindfilms 3
6) Vexer 1

I've gone from almost giving it 3 this afternoon to almost giving it 4 right now.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Steven wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Steven wrote:

Standings
1) Syd Henderson 3.5
1) Peng 3.5
1) Thief 12 3.5
4) H.I. McDonough 3
4) unwindfilms 3
6) Vexer 1

I've gone from almost giving it 3 this afternoon to almost giving it 4 right now.

That exact process happened to me.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Film: Munich
Competitor: NotHughGrant
Score: 4/4

Munich is an incredibly tense, exciting thriller with interesting, relevant ethical questions. I thought it was absolutely top-notch, and one of the best Spielberg films I've seen. The acting is excellent across the board and the film is brilliant from a technical standpoint. The cinematography is excellent, and some sequences are absolutely brilliantly edited. (The scene when the young girl is caught in the crosshairs of the assassins comes immediately to mind.) The period detail is excellent. I'm offended this film didn't get a production design nomination. There was some interesting things done with the coloring, it seemed faded throughout, adding to the gritty feel of the movie. The ethical questions about terrorism and retaliation were relevant in the 70s, when the movie is set, and still are today. What a great film.

Standings
1) NotHughGrant 4
2) Syd Henderson 3.5
2) Peng 3.5
2) Thief12 3.5
5) H.I. McDonough 3
5) unwindfilms 3
7) Vexer 1

Next up: JJoshay's Magnolia

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Steven wrote:

Fuck you are lucky. Magnolia right after Munich.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:56 pm
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Steven wrote:

Fuck you are lucky. Magnolia right after Munich.

I know, right? Makes one wistful for the time when so much of the film world was new and just waiting to be discovered. Don't get me wrong -- there are still thousands upon thousands of films I haven't seen and hundreds that I want to see, but I remember when a week of new movies could look like this:

The Third Man (1949) ***½
Inherit the Wind (1960) **½
Sunset Blvd. (1950) ****
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) ***½
Notorious (1946) ***½
Dirty Dancing (1987) **
Vertigo (1958) ****

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:36 pm
Director

Steven wrote:

If Munich is 4/4, then Magnolia is a 5/4.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Steven wrote:

If Munich is 4/4, then Magnolia is a 5/4.

Judging by his most recent tweet, sure sounds like it. I need to re-visit that movie sometime. Saw it once in theaters, once again on video but haven't re-visited it in years. Absolutely love the sountrack though.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Film: Magnolia
Competitor: JJoshay

I'm lazy right now and don't feel like writing anything. Just let it be known, Magnolia is fucking incredible. It vaults into my all-time favorites. I might contribute some more thoughts later.

Standings
1) JJoshay 4
1) NotHughGrant 4
3) Syd Henderson 3.5
3) Peng 3.5
3) Thief12 3.5
6) H.I. McDonough 3
6) unwindfilms 3
8) Vexer 1

Next up: KWRoss's Patton

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Director

Steven wrote:
Film: Magnolia
Competitor: JJoshay
I'm lazy right now and don't feel like writing anything. Just let it be known, Magnolia is fucking incredible. It vaults into my all-time favorites. I might contribute some more thoughts later.

It's certainly in my all time top 5.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:02 am
Producer

Steven wrote:

Munich is an incredibly tense, exciting thriller with interesting, relevant ethical questions. I thought it was absolutely top-notch, and one of the best Spielberg films I've seen. The acting is excellent across the board and the film is brilliant from a technical standpoint. The cinematography is excellent, and some sequences are absolutely brilliantly edited. (The scene when the young girl is caught in the crosshairs of the assassins comes immediately to mind.) The period detail is excellent. I'm offended this film didn't get a production design nomination. There was some interesting things done with the coloring, it seemed faded throughout, adding to the gritty feel of the movie. The ethical questions about terrorism and retaliation were relevant in the 70s, when the movie is set, and still are today. What a great film.

Standings
1) NotHughGrant 4
2) Syd Henderson 3.5
2) Peng 3.5
2) Thief12 3.5
5) H.I. McDonough 3
5) unwindfilms 3
7) Vexer 1

Glad you dug Munich. It's the best serious revenge film I've seen. It's pitch perfect really. You empathise with their sense of retribution, but numerous times are left thinking "WTF are they doing here?"

You know, the part when the bomb expert actually confesses that his abilities are in bomb dismantling, not their construction.

And some of the dialogue is fantastic. I heard a few people say it was too pro-Israel at the time. But sample this:

Quote:
Avner: Tell me something, Ali.

Ali: What?

Avner: You really miss your father’s olive trees? The crappy village he came from? You honestly think you have to get back all that… nothing, chalky soil and stone huts? That’s what you want for your kids?

Ali: (looks directly into Avner’s eyes) It is. It abolutely is. It’ll take a hundred years, but we’ll win. How long did it take the Jews to get their own country? How long did it take the Germans to make Germany?

Avner: And look how well that worked out.

Ali: You don’t know what it is not to have a home. That’s why you European Reds don’t get it. You say it’s nothing, but you have a home to come back to. ETA, ANC, IRA, PLO- we all pretend we care about your “international revolution”. But we don’t care. We want to be nations. Home is everything.

Powerful, universal sentiment from the mouth of 'the enemy'.

Munich is a grown up film in an age of precious little grown up films

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

Munich is a grown up film in an age of precious little grown up films

It really is. It's Exhibit A for me when people are like "DURRR SPIELBERG IS MELODRAMATIC/MANIPULATIVE/SENTIMENTAL!" He makes all kinds of films, and this one's an unsparing one.

Also, small point, but it has both excellent period detail and an excellent sense of place, despite numerous locales

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next