Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 pm

25th anniversary of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" - 6/9 
Second Unit Director

Post 25th anniversary of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" - 6/9
OK, so this movie really doesn't deserve an anniversary celebration. But I don't think it's as bad as people say. I won't say it's good, but it's far from outright terrible in my opinion.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:29 pm
Auteur

Post Re: 25th anniversary of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" - 6/9
I agree, I think it's a watchable enough film, certainly far better then the first Trek film, which was just pure unadultered boredom.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I personally believe that the worst star trek film was Star Trek Generations. That film felt like nothing more than two episodes with a high budget strung together to make a film. Yes Star Trek V has its problems but at least there was fascinating ideas about where it could've been headed if it was allowed.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 pm
Producer

I liked it. Movie has it's silly moments and it's kind of weird that every time the Sybock character releases "the pain" out of everyone, they become some kind of zombie for him and simply follow him. That was kind of weird. Some cheesy moments every now and then. But I liked the story, the search for God and where that leads at the end. Sybock is an interesting character IMO. Plus, I really liked all of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments. Whether it's the moments where they are going camping or even their scenes on the Enterprise, such as the ending of the movie, which was rather touching.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 am
Cinematographer

Not me. Couldn't stand it. Huge quality drop off from IV to V. I didn't demand my money back at the theater or anything, but as a Trek fan, I was disappointed.

What probably put me over the edge was Uhura doing the desert ridge fan dance. That smacks of somebody in the writing room saying at 2AM, "You know what would be funny...." and then it actually surviving to final draft. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm
Second Unit Director

This movie gets a lot of hate dumped its way. Had Sean Connery played Sybok we might be talking about a different movie.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm
Second Unit Director

I think that this film gets a very bad press.
I love the interaction between the 3 main characters. I also feel that really emphasized the importance that the 3 main characters were to each other. A lot of people don't like the camp scene at the begining, but I do.

i liked Kirk's response to Sybok's challenge to him although I would have liked to see what his dark demons are.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 pm
Producer

Yeah, like I said, I really love the Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments. I mean, Kirk falling down the mountain was incredibly silly (not to mention really bad special effects as you could tell it was some kind of green screen) but the row, row, row your boat scene was hilarious. Especially Spock trying to comprehend the meaning of the words.

And I love the ending. Spock is contemplating about Sybok and he tells them he's lost a brother. And the lovely exchange between those two and McCoy.

Kirk: I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back.

McCoy: I thought you said men like us don't have family.

Kirk: I was wrong.

A really nice, touching moment.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:13 am
Director

I think this movie is just fine. Not the best Star Trek movie, but it's really not that bad. A typical 80s campathon. I think it's kind of fun at times. The one I really dislike is Undiscovered Country. I may need to give it another watch, but I found it really stale, dry, and bland. I agree with Berardinelli's review completely. The most petty aspects of the story are given way too much attention, especially the murder "mystery" on the enterprise. Kirk's hookup in the jail is crass and out of place. Many moments are out of place. The ending scene at the conference is clumsy. And everyone is just finally too old. Every shot evokes Roger Moore in View to a Kill.

I think Final Frontier is a much more energized entry overall. Even despite the silliness of the 1989 entry, Undiscovered Country feels to me somehow more weightless and inconsequential. For me, FF actually does manage a bit of seriousness.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:54 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I think this movie is just fine. Not the best Star Trek movie, but it's really not that bad. A typical 80s campathon. I think it's kind of fun at times. The one I really dislike is Undiscovered Country. I may need to give it another watch, but I found it really stale, dry, and bland. I agree with Berardinelli's review completely. The most petty aspects of the story are given way too much attention, especially the murder "mystery" on the enterprise. Kirk's hookup in the jail is crass and out of place. Many moments are out of place. The ending scene at the conference is clumsy. And everyone is just finally too old. Every shot evokes Roger Moore in View to a Kill.

I think Final Frontier is a much more energized entry overall. Even despite the silliness of the 1989 entry, Undiscovered Country feels to me somehow more weightless and inconsequential. For me, FF actually does manage a bit of seriousness.

I'm surprised: Whereas Star Trek VI is my favourite movie of the series, I couldn't care less about Star Trek V. I liked how the old crew is given a proper farewell and how every member of the crew was given an oppurtunity to shine in 'The Undiscovered Country'. But this thread isn't about that movie, it's about the nadir of the Star Wars movies: 'The Final Frontier' is terrible and only works in a "so bad it's good" way. "Campathon" is a good description of it. The film is full of obvious continuity errors, such as the scene, in which Kirk ad Spock bomb up a turbolift shaft and pass level 57 (or whatever) at least three times. The conception of the Sybok character is totally out of synch with how Vulcans are generally portrayed in Star Trek (I know, he's leading some sort of ostracised cult or something, but this comes from out of nowhere in the Star Tre canon.) And the movie has no energy at all.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:10 am
Director

The Final Frontier is the Moonraker of the Star Trek series. It's definitely the all-time worst. But the first is a close second, namely because of how deadly dull it is. Much like Man With The Golden Gun was a close second for Bond because of how terminally boring it is.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:48 am
Cinematographer

Best line of the film: "What does God need with a starship?".

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 pm
Second Unit Director

There's more "Star Trek" in this film than in any of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
There's more "Star Trek" in this film than in any of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films.

Disagree.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:31 pm
Second Unit Director

I tend to agree with ck100 -- I've watched all Star Trek films to date and I found Star Trek V to be more on the mediocre end than outright terrible (as some have claimed) but still watchable nonetheless.

I would generally rank Star Trek in the following ways: "top tier", "medium tier", "bottom tier" (please note that (1) I enjoyed all Star Trek films including the "bottom tier" and (2) I'm including the JJ Abrams Star Trek films as well), as follows:

"Top tier"

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (my favourite film featuring the cast of the original series)
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek: First Contact (my favourite film featuring the Next Generation cast)
Star Trek Into Darkness (my favourite of the rebooted franchise thus far)

"Medium Tier"

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (others have rated this film lower, but I found this film to be quite fun)
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek (the JJ Abrams reboot)

"Bottom Tier"

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (my least favourite Star Trek film)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek Nemesis

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:25 am
Auteur

Wow, i've never met anyone who strongly dislike The Voyage Home.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm
Cinematographer

ck100 wrote:

By "Star Trek", I'm guessing you mean "William Shatner". Denny Crane!

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I mean there's more of the spirit of the show in the film than in any of the Abrams films. The Abrams films are just all surface. At least films like The Motion Picture and Final Frontier try to be like the TV show with their ideas, stories, characters, etc.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:52 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I mean there's more of the spirit of the show in the film than in any of the Abrams films. The Abrams films are just all surface. At least films like The Motion Picture and Final Frontier try to be like the TV show with their ideas, stories, characters, etc.

I don't think they're all "surface" at all.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:05 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Wow, i've never met anyone who strongly dislike The Voyage Home.

I never said I strongly dislike The Voyage Home, only that it is the Star Trek film that I enjoyed the least, followed by The Final Frontier (earlier in my post, I specifically stated that I enjoyed and liked all of the Star Trek films). Primarily because I didn't enjoy the often forced attempts at humour in both films, which generally fell flat with me.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm