Finding Nemo

Middle

Bug's Life
Ratatouille
WALL-E
Brave

Lower(st)

Cars

Some explanations - Toy Story 3 the best. An epic film fully deserving its praise. The first instalment is also very, very good, and opening the play so deserves credit for that.

The Incredibles
is not only a great Pixar movie, but a great superhero movie. Toy Story 2 falls slightly under 1 and 3, but is still solid. Up in an uneven film, with some real standout moments. Finding Nemo a very impressive piece of construction, but a bit too twee (even for Pixar) to be great. Monsters Inc has the same issues as Brave, but is slightly less uneven. And falls way short of Toy Stories 1 and 3.

Brave is the first film I took my Daughter to see, but in all honesty I find it fairly middling and uneven.
WALL-E and impressive piece of construction, but so damn spiteful to mankind.

I remember being underwhelmed at Cars.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:50 am
Director

Post Re: Ranking Pixar Films by Tier
Don't see how Wall-E is spiteful to mankind (or how it is a criticism on the film's part) when the film ends by giving our race a big, fat chance at hope.

Anyway..

Top tier
Toy Story 3
Wall-E
The Incredibles
Monsters Inc.
Toy Story 2

Upper middle
Finding Nemo
Monsters University
Toy Story

Middle
Up
Ratatouille
Cars
Brave

Lower(st)
A Bug's Life
Cars 2

Cars 2 would still get around 5 or 6 from me (probably a 6), so yeah... a favorite studio. Hopefully, they didn't get swallowed whole by Disney in the future yet.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:25 am
Director

Top tier

Bugs Life
Monsters Inc
Incredibles

Middle

Toy Story 1-3
Ratatouille

Low

Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Up

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Don't see how Wall-E is spiteful to mankind (or how it is a criticism on the film's part) when the film ends by giving our race a big, fat chance at hope.

We don't need a chance. We just need to crack on with it

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 am
Assistant Director

TOP TIER
Toy Story trilogy
Monsters, Inc.
The Incredibles
Up

UPPER MIDDLE TIER
A Bug's Life
Finding Nemo

MIDDLE TIER
Cars
Wall-E
Ratatouille

Nothing that really falls on the lower tier for me. Cars is perhaps the most flawed, but it's still an enjoyable, fun film.

I haven't seen their latest efforts: Cars 2, Brave, or Monsters University.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Top Tier

Up
Toy Story Trilogy
Finding Nemo
A Bug's Life
Monsters Inc

Upper Middle Tier

Cars
The Incredibles

Low Tier

Cars 2
Wall-E
Brave

Haven't seen: Ratatouille and Monsters University

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 am
Director

Of the ones I've seen:

Top:
Wall-E
The Incredibles
All 3 Toy Storys
Up

Middle:
Bugs Life
Monsters Inc
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo

Lesser But Still Fun:
Cars

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:48 am
Second Unit Director

Aside from perhaps CasualDad, I'd wager I've seen more Pixar more times and more special features than anyone here. (Ditto with Pixar shorts. We own all the Pixar shorts. Yes, really.) It is interesting to see which ones the kids will pull from the cabinet time and time again and actually watch rather than have on as background during play time. Some I enjoy for personal reasons, but recognize that they are not for everybody. Cars is a great example. I'm just a sucker for a fish out of water story and I can watch its doppelganger "Doc Hollywood" with every bit the same ease.

My ranking (having seen these each numerous times) loosely based on quality and the number of times the kids beg to see it again, and I shamelessly watch it with them.

Toy Story 1
Toy Story 3
Wall E
The Incredibles
Monsters Inc.

Middle:
Cars
Toy Story 2
Monsters University
Finding Nemo
Up
Brave

Bottom:
Ratatouille
Bug's Life
Cars 2
Planes*

-*Okay, so while Planes is not technically a Pixar movie, I'm not sure it's possible to separate it from the franchise despite the studio label. That said it deserves to be near or at the bottom. It is sheer drudgery. I fell asleep the first time I saw it. My kids watched it once on DVD and have no desire to see it again.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:54 am
Cinematographer

Perhaps with surprise, I've only seen most of the Pixar films once, and haven't seen a couple of them. I have not seen Toy Story 3 or Brave. My kids have, but they went with my wife when I was away on business.

My tops would be Toy Story (1 & 2) and I have a special fondness for A Bug's Life.

Everything else would be middle tier for me. I don't really think any are bad. Like NotHughGrant, I felt WALL-E was a heavy-handed bashing of capitalism and humanity in general, but the soft spots are very moving and the action sequences are downright cool.

Based upon re-watches with my kids, I believe their top tier would be led by Cars and Finding Nemo. They like Monsters Inc. and University, Wall-e, and the Toy Stories. Neither liked Brave, The Incredibles, or A Bug's
Life much at all. The boy likes Up while the girl does not. If Planes is included, my son was mildly amused while the rest of us were put to sleep.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 am
Second Unit Director

CD, your kids didn't like The Incredibles? I've never heard of that.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:25 pm
Producer

I dunno. I think it's a real grown ups' film.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm
Cinematographer

They both seemed mostly bored by The Incredibles. Most of the humor, for me at least, depends on some familiarity with common and specific superhero themes. At the time we saw it neither had much familiarity.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:03 pm
Second Unit Director

Top Tier
Toy Story 3
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Monsters, Inc.
Cars

Upper Middle
Finding Nemo
Up
Ratatouille
WALL-E
Toy Story 2

Middle
Monsters University
A Bug's Life

Lower
Brave
Cars 2

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
They both seemed mostly bored by The Incredibles. Most of the humor, for me at least, depends on some familiarity with common and specific superhero themes. At the time we saw it neither had much familiarity.

I would bet this is on the money. You could pose a similar idea about movies like Spaceballs or Austin Powers: yeah, they're probably alright if you go into them cold--it's still funny characters doing funny things--but these movies only come alive if you're familiar with at least some of the stuff they're riffing on. That's send-up humor in a nutshell.

-

I suppose it was predictable that WALL-E would be the most divisive movie here. I personally think it's fantastic. It's Pixar's visual storytelling at its strongest, and it's a rare smart science fiction movie. CasualDad observes some anti-capitalist, anti-humanity themes, but I read it more as an indictment of overconsumption than anything else. Capitalism at its healthiest is supposed to prevent stuff like this from happening. And while WALL-E is critical of human activity, I think its outlook is positive on balance--it's not saying that we suck, so much as that we are capable of solving our problems if we try harder.

I guess I sound pretty defensive about it, but it is one of my favorite Pixar movies.

Also, CasualDad, definitely check out Toy Story 3 when you get the opportunity. It is easily my favorite of the series. The Toy Story theme of friendship is there, strong as ever, but there's an additional theme of growing up, moving on, and having to leave some things behind that really resonated with me.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
I suppose it was predictable that WALL-E would be the most divisive movie here. I personally think it's fantastic. It's Pixar's visual storytelling at its strongest, and it's a rare smart science fiction movie. CasualDad observes some anti-capitalist, anti-humanity themes, but I read it more as an indictment of overconsumption than anything else. Capitalism at its healthiest is supposed to prevent stuff like this from happening. And while WALL-E is critical of human activity, I think its outlook is positive on balance--it's not saying that we suck, so much as that we are capable of solving our problems if we try harder.

Agreed. I don't think it was anti-capitalism. It was anti the whole notion that consumerism is the solution to every problem, anti-overconsumption. Like Three Kings was not anti-American. It was anti-American foreign policy. It was anti-American government.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Top tier
Toy Story 1 & 2
Wall-E
Cars (Not a joke, I really do like this a lot)

Upper middle
Toy Story 3
The Incredibles
Up

Middle
Ratatouille
Brave

Lower(st)
Bug's Life
Finding Nemo

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:16 pm
Director

Quote:

I always thought the point of a Pixar movie was just to be fun and that it would get into trouble when trying to take itself too seriously (this and Nemo). Pixar may have cornered their own market, but I don't think they were equipped for this broad kind of sci-fi thing. It's too heavy. It'd be too heavy even for directors who are known for being adult and heavy, like Aronofsky. I think Pixar works best when taking on small situations: toys in a kid's room, ants on a mound, monsters in some other dimension, a rat helping out with the cuisine...Wall-E instead features an abandoned planet with a human race who can no longer walk, out on space ships in another galaxy. And Wall-E bounding around on this giant space ship with Eve is treated the same way as Woody and Buzz running around a toy store with the barbie dolls. Sense of proportion is totally out of whack. Also, the attempt to make Walle and Eve a sort of silent movie love story is way off. Buster Keaton and Chaplin could still speak through title cards, and these robots don't even have that. You need dialogue.

My issue with Nemo is the fish tank half of the story with Willem Dafoe. Completely destroys the suspense of the entire story. Would be like if The Searchers kept cutting back to Natalie Wood's developing relationship with the Indian Chief.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:24 pm
Producer

Portraying humans as too lazy and fat to walk is another sad chapter in the establishment's hypocritical attack on capitalism. It's like Michael Moore (all 200+ pounds of him) broke into the Pixar studio.

'Don't consume too much ... apart from this lavishly produced film, and popcorn etc'

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:08 am
Producer

Being hypocritical isn't the same thing as being wrong.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:02 am
Producer

I think it's substantially wrong too. It betrays a lazy self-loathing of western life, that forgets ordinary people could scarcely afford enough food a mere one generation ago.

The fat, sofa-bound stereotype exists as a minority (most stereotypes do), but a far better target for such scathing satire would be environmentalists who fly around the world, yet would deny a Chinese peasant the opportunity to ever own a fridge. Or the Malthusians who would take us back to the stone age because we're 'killing the planet'.

Like I say, well-made film - but pretty shitty take on mankind.

Last edited by NotHughGrant on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:07 am