Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:50 am

Cold in July is a big pile of meh. 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Cold in July is a big pile of meh.
There are a few things to be nostalgic about from the 80's, but not much. This movie hits all the wrong buttons.

The 80's throwback style they tried to slop onto this movie just does not work. The score is jarring - the cheap 80's kung fu Moog music doesn't set a mood, it distracts.

The story is 80's ridiculous.

I don't get the Tomatometer rating for this. Maybe the book was so good that some of it splashed over onto the movie?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Cold in July is a big pile of meh.
I have never heard of this movie, what is it about?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:27 pm
Cinematographer

I watched this over the weekend (VOD purchase), and quite enjoyed it as a piece of pulp fiction. The 80s score Baelzar mentioned has been called by some a John Carpenter homage/ripoff, and it really works in the first third or so of the movie when the film is in horror mode. It shifts in tone and narrative all over the place, which is exciting to see. It's really a tonal exercise, as it goes from horror to buddy/hangout movie, to dark comedy, and finally a grisly, violent neo-noir. It's interesting to see the movie change so drastically (again, both in narrative and tone) so frequently, yet still feel fairly cohesive. Maybe that's because all the elements for each one are always there, but the emphasis is only put on certain aspects at certain times (that might not make much sense, but I'm trying to get be too spoilery). The result is a very unpredictable movie that left me feeling anxious throughout because I had literally no idea where it was headed. For anyone who watches a lot of movies and understands story structure and the like, that's a pretty rare occurance.

Like most violent movies set in Texas about men, it's about, well, men. And masculinity and all that macho stuff. It doesn't break any new ground thematically, but it's definitely worth watching. It's good, and certainly better than just about anything you'd catch in a multiplex right now.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:20 pm
Director

haven't seen Cold yet, but was a fan of his previous film, "We Are What We Are." have you seen it, Pete?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
haven't seen Cold yet, but was a fan of his previous film, "We Are What We Are." have you seen it, Pete?

I've seen the first 30 minutes of it. I liked what I saw, but I put it on too late and fell asleep. I remember Mark pimping on the forum when he came back for a bit. I'll finish it up at some point, I'm sure. His earlier movies are pretty well-regarded indie horror movies. Seen any of them? I was thinking about putting one in my horror marathon this October.

And give Cold in July a shot. I'd like to know what you think of it.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:02 am
Second Unit Director

Well I guess Michael C. Hall should stick to dexter then.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I read the thread title as "a big pile of meth" and immediately thought, "oh, a Breaking Bad homage...

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:45 am
Director

released on dvd today

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 pm