Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Misleading movie trailers 
Auteur

Post Misleading movie trailers
With James talking about how the trailer for Lucy was very misleading, it got me wondering, how many times has a film been completely misrepresented by it's trailer and how many times have you've been fooled into seeing a film or been disappointed by one because the trailer made the film look like something it was not?

One that immediately jumps to mind is Jarhead, the trailer made it look like pro-war film which is the polar opposite of what the film actually is.

There's also the trailer for Gigli, which made the film look like a light-hearted rom-com which is isn't in any way.

What's also annoying is when trailers flat out lie by including footage that either isn't in the film at all(I.E. the Black Christmas remake, Amazing Spider-Man 2) or is from a completely different movie altogether(Annapolis, which has footage from other war films in the trailer, not sure which ones).

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 pm
Producer

Post Re: Misleading movie trailers
Wicker Park couldn't have been more different from what the trailer represented.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:15 am
Second Unit Director

Thankfully this doesn't happen too much anymore, but I remember when it was common for foreign-language flicks to be advertised with no dialogue and no indication -- they knew people were scared of it.

Catfish's trailer made it look like psychological found-footage horror. It wasn't.

Fight Club was made out to be a gritty action film. Not quite.

And Drive! It's like they were selling a Fast & Furious film.

Oh, and Watchmen. Because the trailer made it look like it was a good movie.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 am
Director

Not sure what JB is talking about. Lucy is pretty much exactly what the trailer makes it out to be. Except that the trailer made it looks cool, and in the movie it's a bit lame.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

The most misleading trailer ever must be for Hugo. It is a wonderful film but many imdb users complain that they were bored in their reviews. This is probably because they were expecting an adventure film full of action and mystery, judging by the trailer.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:14 am
Director

The one for Robert Zemeckis' "Flight" made it look like a thriller instead of a drama. I knew what it was going in so I wasn't disappointed. But a freind who saw it was and later complained about it not being a thriller.

Likewise, the one for "Out Of The Furnace" (despite getting points for using Pearl Jam's "Release") made it look like an action mvoie similar to that relatively forgotten Patrick Swayze movie Next Of Kin. When in actuality it was a very somber dramatic film.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am
Director

Adventureland was marketed as more of a slapstick comedy, rather than the mix of drama, romance and comedy that it is. I loved the film; I'd give it an A, but the marketing gets a big fat F.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 pm
Auteur

Watchmen's trailer really didn't do the film justice, I came away rather impressed by it.

Hudson Hawk's trailer made the film look like a straight-forward action-comedy, when it's anything but.

Perhaps the most misleading trailer of all time would have to be Kangaroo Jack though, how many parents took their kids to that film on the basis of the trailer.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Jarhead perhaps. Trailer makes it look like a war movie, in the actual movie, the characters kept waiting for the war to happen.
-Jeremy

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm
Profile WWW

The Crying Game.

I win. :)

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm
Producer

Bridge to Terabithia's trailer made me think it was a Narnia clone, which it is anything but. Fortunately.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 pm
Gaffer

Kick-Ass; trailer made it look like a slapstick comedy, where it was anything but

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 am
Critic

I'm going to go at right angles to the intent of the thread because I want to give a shout-out to the trailer for the otherwise mundane Red Eye for being really, really clever and misleading. If you know nothing about the film, watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMGg_idxqE

Props to the marketing department there. They took a mediocre August release and got 57 million out of it.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I'm going to go at right angles to the intent of the thread because I want to give a shout-out to the trailer for the otherwise mundane Red Eye for being really, really clever and misleading. If you know nothing about the film, watch it below:

Props to the marketing department there. They took a mediocre August release and got 57 million out of it.

I actually liked Red Eye when I saw it. Re-watched it not too long ago and found it had lost its ability to thrill.

It was better than the dismal Flightplan. I'll give it that.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:13 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I actually liked Red Eye when I saw it. Re-watched it not too long ago and found it had lost its ability to thrill.

It was better than the dismal Flightplan. I'll give it that.

They were both forgettable and average films, though Flightplan was the dumber of the two.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 pm
Producer

Both movies are kind of similar in that they begin great and kind of end on a wimper.

Flightplan is actually fantastic for the first half of the movie but once we learn what is really going on it's pretty dumb. I mean it's kind of ingenius in a way, but the movie gets kind of silly and dumb in the third act.

Similarly, Red Eye is terrific when it's on the plane, but once the plane lands it turns into a dumb, cliched horror/psycho/slasher thriller. Characters do stupid things, etc.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:34 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Both movies are kind of similar in that they begin great and kind of end on a wimper.

Flightplan is actually fantastic for the first half of the movie but once we learn what is really going on it's pretty dumb. I mean it's kind of ingenius in a way, but the movie gets kind of silly and dumb in the third act.

Similarly, Red Eye is terrific when it's on the plane, but once the plane lands it turns into a dumb, cliched horror/psycho/slasher thriller. Characters do stupid things, etc.

I thought Red Eye actually got better towards the end, I found the first half very dull and uninteresting, but the second half woke me up and actually got my attention.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:11 pm
Director

Since we're on the subject of trailers, I might as well mention the couple of DVDs I have of old grindhouse trailers. I love watching these, and one of the unique things about them is how the trailers are so long but manage to never tell you anything about the movie. Compare that with today's trailers, which show pretty much the whole movie in three minutes.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Since we're on the subject of trailers, I might as well mention the couple of DVDs I have of old grindhouse trailers. I love watching these, and one of the unique things about them is how the trailers are so long but manage to never tell you anything about the movie. Compare that with today's trailers, which show pretty much the whole movie in three minutes.

Actually trailers used to be even more spoilerific then they are, take the trailer for the original Carrie for example, the trailer has a narration that exhaustively tells you everything that happens in the film, it makes today's trailers seem pretty reserved by comparison.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Exorcism of Emily Rose. Thought it was going to be about an actual exorcism with the trail bookending the film. Sad to say it wasn't

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:43 pm