Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
Even if the last 10 minutes were the best thing ever committed to film, it would not be worth it to have to sit through the rest of that truly horrendous movie.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:37 am
Auteur

MunichMan wrote:
Even if the last 10 minutes were the best thing ever committed to film, it would not be worth it to have to sit through the rest of that truly horrendous movie.

You could always just skip the last 10 minutes then.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:38 pm
Director

Love in the Afternoon
Billy Wilder

calvero

8.5/10

I could have filled the review of this movie with "Audrey Hepburn! Audrey Hepburn!" and be done with it.

Seriously though, I argue against myself hard on the scoring of this one: there is no reason why a Lubitsch-style rom-com should be over 2 hours; Gary Cooper gives a very good performance but still feels slightly miscast; the weird age difference; etc. But it all comes down to two questions: Can you believe an innocent girl (with access to her detective father's tawdry files) can fool a seasoned playboy as being a sophisticated femme fatale type? And can such a seasoned and older playboy fall for this girl? With the luminous Audrey Hepburn in the role, both are successfully answered, and the romantic atmosphere is sustained the whole way through. I'm absolutely charmed. Billy Wilder's direction maximizes the intimacy, the lush cinematography captures Paris gloriously, and music adds to the playful pacing. I especially loved the gypsy musicians that function as a comic Greek chorus, providing flavor right down to the end.

And then there's Audrey Hepburn again. It's kind of astonishing how her presence can add so much to a film. One scene at a train station near the end shows a pretty predictable rom-com plot point when the deception is coming apart. But the way Hepburn plays it: a facade of teary-eyed defiance giving way to just how much she's utterly, magnificently in love. Pure movie magic.

Leaderboard
1) JamesKunz 9
2) MunichMan 8.5
3) calvero 8.5
4) montparnasse 8
5) Jeff Wilder 7.5
6) Vexer 5.5

next: Unke - Belle de Jour

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:56 pm
Director

Belle de Jour
Luis Buñuel

Unke

8/10

My first work of the decade-spanning director Luis Buñuel, and it's challenging and intriguing. Before this I have read of the director as surrealist and satirist, and there are elements of both in the film, with the former more than the latter. This is a film that is hard to grasp on at first (not that it gets easier towards the end), but it becomes clear later on that its dispassionate nature is maybe to bring clear-eyed objectivity to the exploration of potentially lurid material (a high-class wife dissatisfied with life so much that she got into prostitution). Fantasy sequences of repression are nicely disorienting without signposting as such in the initial seconds. The film is gorgeously shot, and Catherine Deneuve's extreme blankness reveals a ton of suggested unease in her psyche. It's a great performance perfect for both the material and directorial style. The story might not reach me in a profound or emotional way, and I do find the young thug character a little silly, but it is always thought-provoking and a pleasure to watch.

And with Catherine Deneuve, how could the bonus points be anything but 2 out of 2?

Leaderboard
1) Unke 10
2) JamesKunz 9
3) MunichMan 8.5
4) calvero 8.5
5) montparnasse 8
6) Jeff Wilder 7.5
7) Vexer 5.5

next: Syd Henderson - Whale Rider

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:34 am
Critic

peng wrote:

Belle de Jour
Luis Buñuel

Unke

8/10

My first work of the decade-spanning director Luis Buñuel, and it's challenging and intriguing. Before this I have read of the director as surrealist and satirist, and there are elements of both in the film, with the former more than the latter. This is a film that is hard to grasp on at first (not that it gets easier towards the end), but it becomes clear later on that its dispassionate nature is maybe to bring clear-eyed objectivity to the exploration of potentially lurid material (a high-class wife dissatisfied with life so much that she got into prostitution). Fantasy sequences of repression are nicely disorienting without signposting as such in the initial seconds. The film is gorgeously shot, and Catherine Deneuve's extreme blankness reveals a ton of suggested unease in her psyche. It's a great performance perfect for both the material and directorial style. The story might not reach me in a profound or emotional way, and I do find the young thug character a little silly, but it is always thought-provoking and a pleasure to watch.

And with Catherine Deneuve, how could the bonus points be anything but 2 out of 2?

Leaderboard
1) Unke 10
2) JamesKunz 9
3) MunichMan 8.5
4) calvero 8.5
5) montparnasse 8
6) Jeff Wilder 7.5
7) Vexer 5.5

next: Syd Henderson - Whale Rider

This bonus points thing is annoying considering you have a whole separate film that was recommended on the basis of looks.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:42 am
Director

Recommended based on that yeah, but I still look at it first in how it works as a movie, then a couple of trivial points about the factor. Hence Vexer's extremely low score because I didn't like the film, but liked Lucy Liu in the role enough to say that in that regards he chose well.

It is just an asides bonus score to be a fun comment on how I think about what they choose based on that factor, but if enough people don't think it's a good idea I can drop it.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Recommended based on that yeah, but I still look at it first in how it works as a movie, then a couple of trivial points about the factor. Hence Vexer's extremely low score because I didn't like the film, but liked Lucy Liu in the role enough to say that in that regards he chose well.

It is just an asides bonus score to be a fun comment on how I think about what they choose based on that factor, but if enough people don't think it's a good idea I can drop it.

Hey, it's your thread, your competition. Do your thing and go on :D

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Critic

peng wrote:

I'm big on the spirit of the competition. The spirit of the game here is to recommend you the best possible movies. At no point did you make clear that movies with better looking people would be given better scores. That violates, in my opinion, the sanctity of the game.

This may sound like I'm taking this too seriously, but I'm a gamesman through and through, and you can't introduce new rules mid-game

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:26 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

I'm big on the spirit of the competition. The spirit of the game here is to recommend you the best possible movies. At no point did you make clear that movies with better looking people would be given better scores. That violates, in my opinion, the sanctity of the game.

This may sound like I'm taking this too seriously, but I'm a gamesman through and through, and you can't introduce new rules mid-game

But he asked for recommendations based on "hottie factors", among other things, so I think that validates his decision to give points for that.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Director

About me introducing the rule mid-game: on June 9 in response to MunichMan..

peng wrote:
..And just maybe in some categories (at the very least the hottie one), how much it satisfies the category may be a factor. ;)

And I thought my reasoning on Vexer's choice makes it clear that it's not only about better looking people getting better score, but also about the context and performances in which they're in. I've found Diaz and Barrymore effective and attractive in other things, but their roles here annoy me so much that combined together they only get like 0.5.

But you know what? I'm gonna drop it anyway. Apart from JamesKunz's complaint, I've been finding it quite too arbitrary to compare different kind of films together for this specific bonus section. Not to mention now that I put it into action it seems to rig the scores a little much. From now on I'll just make a little asides and mention how effective you guys are for that category.

Also Thief, it's also partly your choice for that category, which I've just finished and really THREW me for a loop about how would I rate the bonus on that. :lol:

Hope all's fine now. :)

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:43 am
Director

Whale Rider
Niki Caro

Syd Henderson

7/10

This is solid all the way through, but the "hero journey" arc feels overfamiliar and sometimes a little too simple. It is enlivened by the culture in which the story is set in and some strong performances. 12-year-old Keisha Castle-Hughes earned that Oscar nomination with an amazing scene in which she delivered an emotional dedication to her grandfather (whom is rejecting her place as tribe's leader because of her gender), and by being a lively through-line to the whole story in general. It has one quite rousing climax too.

Leaderboard
1) JamesKunz 9
2) MunichMan 8.5
3) calvero 8.5
4) Unke 8
5) montparnasse 8
6) Jeff Wilder 7.5
7) Syd Henderson 7
8) Vexer 4

next: Thief12 - Heavenly Creatures

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:46 am
Critic

peng wrote:
About me introducing the rule mid-game: on June 9 in response to MunichMan..

peng wrote:
..And just maybe in some categories (at the very least the hottie one), how much it satisfies the category may be a factor. ;)

And I thought my reasoning on Vexer's choice makes it clear that it's not only about better looking people getting better score, but also about the context and performances in which they're in. I've found Diaz and Barrymore effective and attractive in other things, but their roles here annoy me so much that combined together they only get like 0.5.

But you know what? I'm gonna drop it anyway. Apart from JamesKunz's complaint, I've been finding it quite too arbitrary to compare different kind of films together for this specific bonus section. Not to mention now that I put it into action it seems to rig the scores a little much. From now on I'll just make a little asides and mention how effective you guys are for that category.

Also Thief, it's also partly your choice for that category, which I've just finished and really THREW me for a loop about how would I rate the bonus on that. :lol:

Hope all's fine now. :)

All's well!

...my apologies to Vexer and his pitiful score

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:56 pm
Director

Heavenly Creatures
Peter Jackson

Thief12

10/10

Oh, Peter Jackson. I was already not too keen on your sanitized Lovely Bones adaptation before seeing this, and now I understand the film's critical reception better: you LotR'ed the shit out of it when there is another mode in you capable of dealing with a dark, hauntingly beautiful story like this.

The film tells the true-life case of two girls who became close friends and built elaborate fantasy world together. Increasingly like the dark version of Bridge to Terabithia, their imagination began to veer towards the violent kind when it clashed with the real world, leading to a tragic end.

It is a brilliant choice on the film's part that instead of sensationalizing or focusing on the case, it attempts to understand and empathize by carefully showing the steps leading up to it. There is no condescension to the portrayal of the girls' friendship, which in itself functions as a legitimate coming-of-age drama. Aided by the film's caffeinated direction and two superb performances, we feel intensely and passionately along with them. It is a believable and naturally evolving relationship, albeit with some disturbing asides from time to time. Those asides are magnified when they go up against the parents' clueless way of dealing with them and the social mores of the time. Colorful fantasy sequences are ably realized, and strangely help to stress the realism of the overall story. And when the time comes for the final event to take place, Peter Jackson drops most of his tricks to let the horror of what the girls fancifully plan to sink in. It is a grueling sequence, twisting the tension to an almost unbearable point, before releasing it horrifically with the full dose of the act's realism. Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey are so accomplished and powerful throughout the whole film it's hard to believe they're first-timers.

I've more or less enjoyed every one of Jackson's big-scale films (although The Hobbit ones are beginning to dim my enthusiasm a bit), but I hope he still has yet another intimate, character-driven masterpiece like this in his future.

Hottie factor: Kate Winslet radiates film star magnetism right from her first role . She's often very luminous and stunning, even if she completely disappeared into this character so much I'm left with mostly a disturbed feeling by the end. Still a great rec based on that category though. ;)

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 10
2) JamesKunz 9
3) MunichMan 8.5
4) calvero 8.5
5) Unke 8
6) montparnasse 8
7) Jeff Wilder 7.5
8) Syd Henderson 7
9) Vexer 4

next: H.I. McDonough - Little Murders

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:14 am
Cinematographer

Woohoo! I'm glad you liked it so much. It's a film that has stayed with me quite a bit.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Man, I LOVE that movie. I would give it a 10 as well.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Charlie's Angels was harmless fun, and I might have gone to 5, but the sequel was the only movie in my entire life (and I'm 46) that I have not finished. It was that bad.

I would recommend finishing it.

Why? Because it becomes Tolstoy in the last 10 minutes? Because it tells us who really killed JFK? What really happened at Roswell? Because it grants you eternal happiness?

Fucking hell Vex, MunichMan correctly judged this piece of garbage to be just that. What difference is 10 more minutes going to do?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

Ha! Gamesman, indeed. This gamesmanship is simply a transparent attempt to topple the mighty Unke from the top of the leaderboard. Unfortunately, you succeeded, JamesKunz. But I shall already practice my most scornful laughter for the moment when I will overtake you once peng will have watched, erm, 'The Incredible Shrinking Man'.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:01 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Charlie's Angels was harmless fun, and I might have gone to 5, but the sequel was the only movie in my entire life (and I'm 46) that I have not finished. It was that bad.

Why? Because it becomes Tolstoy in the last 10 minutes? Because it tells us who really killed JFK? What really happened at Roswell? Because it grants you eternal happiness?

Fucking hell Vex, MunichMan correctly judged this piece of garbage to be just that. What difference is 10 more minutes going to do?

At the time I wrote the post I wasn't aware of how far into the film he had got, I assumed it was halfway, but quitting with only 10 minutes left strikes me as a bit odd, if you're that far already you might as well finish it.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:46 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Wow, such animosity. It's just a film, man. The fact that you don't agree with Vexer's opinion or taste doesn't warrant such an outburst.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Unke wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

Ha! Gamesman, indeed. This gamesmanship is simply a transparent attempt to topple the mighty Unke from the top of the leaderboard. Unfortunately, you succeeded, JamesKunz. But I shall already practice my most scornful laughter for the moment when I will overtake you once peng will have watched, erm, 'The Incredible Shrinking Man'.

Hahahaaha that was amusing.

And hey, we're both staring at Thief's ass anyway.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next