Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
Hey, I really liked La Strada and lovedddd La Dolce Vita, so you can't count Fellini out of the match yet. And thanks for the kind word. Been really fun but it would have to be at least next year until I attempt something like this again. I would love to see more people do this though; I enjoyed nominating things for Steven to watch and reading in his thread. Don't have to be on a scale like mine too (if there is next time I would definitely go smaller; this is almost too much).

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:27 am
Director

I nominate Unke. he's been killing it in Last Movie You Watched lately.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I second that nomination! I would love to hear his thoughts on recommended films. I would love to do it, but I don't have the time nor the access to the films I would be required to watch.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:37 pm
Assistant Director

I was thinking about "ripping" the thread idea like Steve did, but I acknowledge my failures in finding enough time to watch one or two films every week, let alone 10 or 20. I suppose I have to be either on vacation or mentally prepared to dedicate time to this :D That said, I support Unke, if he wants to go with it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Experiment in Terror
Blake Edwards

montparnasse

8/10

B-story given an A-level treatment. A woman is threatened from an unknown man into stealing from a bank, or else something might happen to her and her sister. Maybe it's my modern eyes, but anytime the story becomes wider in scope, as in the investigation work, the ludicrousness threatens to seep in and usurps the noir elements. I just don't buy some of the logistics or behaviors here (especially the sister stuff towards the end).

Whenever it goes claustrophobic though, the film nails the delectable mood of dread really well. Its minimal music is memorable and effective, and the framing is just insanely marvelous throughout. Asthmatic villain hiding in the dark; blinders casting shadows on face; a dimly lit room full of dolls, until one of them suddenly isn't, etc. Even through the rougher patches, the assured and inventive direction always keeps thing engaging. The ending stretch is especially nail-biting; that crowd scene is one sensational set-piece.

Leaderboard
1) H.I. McDonough 46
2) Syd Henderson 46
3) montparnasse 43
4) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44
MunichMan 43.5
Unke 43
calvero 41.5
Jeff Wilder 40

next: Jeff Wilder - Lady in the Lake

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

Experiment in Terror
Blake Edwards

montparnasse

8/10

B-story given an A-level treatment. A woman is threatened from an unknown man into stealing from a bank, or else something might happen to her and her sister. Maybe it's my modern eyes, but anytime the story becomes wider in scope, as in the investigation work, the ludicrousness threatens to seep in and usurps the noir elements. I just don't buy some of the logistics or behaviors here (especially the sister stuff towards the end).

Whenever it goes claustrophobic though, the film nails the delectable mood of dread really well. Its minimal music is memorable and effective, and the framing is just insanely marvelous throughout. Asthmatic villain hiding in the dark; blinders casting shadows on face; a dimly lit room full of dolls, until one of them suddenly isn't, etc. Even through the rougher patches, the assured and inventive direction always keeps thing engaging. The ending stretch is especially nail-biting; that crowd scene is one sensational set-piece.

Leaderboard
1) H.I. McDonough 46
2) Syd Henderson 46
3) montparnasse 43
4) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44
MunichMan 43.5
Unke 43
calvero 41.5
Jeff Wilder 40

next: Jeff Wilder - Lady in the Lake

So not what I associate Blake Edwards with

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 pm
Director

And just a year after Breakfast at Tiffany's too.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Glad that you enjoyed this. I agree completely with the review. I also thought that the way the police deals with the case is a bit unrealistic (in any case they wouldn' t allow the sister' s life to be in danger.) The movie is so well presented though that I was eager to suspend disbelief. Great performances by Glenn Ford and Lee Remick and Ross Martin creates a memorable villain. And a great ending.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:21 am
Director

Lady in the Lake
Robert Montgomery

Jeff Wilder

7.5/10

I see the phrase "ambitious failure" has been coined for this film quite a bit, and although I totally see where they're coming from, I was having too much fun for any of its flaws to become major hindrances. The choice of narrative style -- adapting a hard-boiled detective (Philip Marlowe) novel by Raymond Chandler completely in a first-person perspective, saved for a few times that Marlowe addresses the audience directly -- seems to gain divisive reactions. For me, the biggest flaw is that it renders the romance aspect of the story completely uninvolving. Audrey Totter gives a great performance and sells her part convincingly, but without Montgomery to play off physically on screen, their chemistry is never built to a convincing and satisfying degree. And the few times his face appears in the story (in reflection), it becomes a little too cute and distracting.

On the other hand, this approach is a huge boost to the already good story, giving a strong feeling of claustrophobia to almost every investigation and action scene. The continuous swooping of the camera from place to place creates tension and dread (that maybe are not even intended on part of the filmmaker). Even the more normal part of the story is made unique by this stylistic choice. It also makes the performances seem more natural than most other noirs in the same time period. I understand why many find it contrived and distracting, but it's an intriguing style to mix with an excellent mystery, and I enjoy the combination very much.

Leaderboard
1) Jeff Wilder 47.5
2) H.I. McDonough 46
3) Syd Henderson 46
4) montparnasse 43
5) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44
MunichMan 43.5
Unke 43
calvero 41.5

next: Unke - Amarcord

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Director

Amarcord
Federico Fellini

Unke

9/10

I have said before that I'm not much of a vignette structure guy, but there is a big exception when it comes to the intensely nostalgic kind, especially if it feels so obviously drawn from the creator's childhood (The Long Day Closes and Radio Days come to mind). So I don't have anything much to add other than that this story of an Italian small town and its cyclical nature of everything in between a year -- life, death, love, sex, coming-of-age -- feels warm, personal, and a complete pleasure to watch. I might wish for a... less passive ending I guess (even though it might go against the method of the film). The interlude with the mentally unstable uncle also falls flat for me, mainly because it's one of the few times the story feels so focused on a strand, and not enveloping that wonderful sense of the town community. But they are two minor nitpicks for what is essentially two hours of a heartwarming and wonderfully cinematic trip into someone else's past.

Leaderboard
1) Unke 52
2) Jeff Wilder 47.5
3) H.I. McDonough 46
4) Syd Henderson 46
5) montparnasse 43
6) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44
MunichMan 43.5
calvero 41.5

next: MunichMan - Forbidden Games

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:14 pm
Director

^^ The first Fellini film I ever saw... and probably a good thing since it's arguably his most accessible film. It's also still my favorite film of his next to "La Dolce Vita."

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 pm
Director

MunichMan wrote:
It has a dead puppy in it! Who doesn't love dead puppies!?

You weren't kidding. :|

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm
Director

Forbidden Games
René Clément

MunichMan

9.5/10

I tend to have a fairly mainstream taste, but one of the major films where I go against the grain is Grave of the Fireflies (Critic Mike D'Angelo may be a little harsh, but not too far when he said of it as being "anti-idiocy" more than anti-war). Now comes Forbidden Games, another film that deals with children facing the ramification of war. Both films have to walk a tight balance between illustrating the war's horror and aftereffect, and also depicting a clear-eyed view of the children's "innocence."

I feel Grave falters hard in the latter aspect, contrasting much by what Forbidden Games does right by it. Both films show the children's flaws, but Forbidden Games feels more straightforward and honest in the context around them, and doesn't use those flaws both as what propels the story into tragedy and as a way to martyr them up. It acknowledges that the flaws of even young children can make things worse in the time of war, but presents the reason that it is borne out of their innocence and desire to recede into their own worlds, to preserve that innocence by playing a 'game' instead of facing directly with the situations of war. That makes the abrupt ending both vaguely dissatisfying and heartbreakingly perfect. It is the war finally catching up with them emotionally.

Of course, apart from its rock-solid theme and great execution in story form, there are also beautiful direction and performances as well. The film blends lyrical visual with the natural surroundings so gracefully (a hint of Malick) that it remains classy despite bursts of strong emotions, especially a somewhat shocking instance of violence at the beginning. And the children's performances are natural and great, with special mention to Brigitte Fossey as the young girl. I found out that she also plays older Elena in the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso as well, so it's neat that an actor can break my heart both as a 6-year-old and as a 42-year-old.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 53
2) Unke 52
3) Jeff Wilder 47.5
4) H.I. McDonough 46
5) Syd Henderson 46
6) montparnasse 43
7) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44
calvero 41.5

next: calvero - Goodbye Mr. Chips

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm
Critic

I really like Forbidden Games too (and thus, with Funny Games, it forms a duality of movies I really admire that go F-adjective Games) though I prefer Grave of the Fireflies I think

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:43 pm
Director

The opening of Grave of the Fireflies made me thought I'm gonna be so emotionally destroyed by the end, but instead I went "lol wut" at how easily he can procure a stash of watermelon all along.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 pm

So glad you enjoyed Forbidden Games. It is truly a wonderful film. More people should see it. I hope this thread has inspired more people to seek out many of the recommended films. What a pleasure it must be for peng to have done this. So many great films recommended by people (Green Berets aside...).

It's such a great feeling to introduce someone to a film you love and have them enjoy it as well.

Man, this is going to come down to the wire. Very close at the top. Thought I might squeak a 10 out of Forbidden Games, which would have made it even closer, but I certainly can't argue with a 9.5.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 am
Director

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Sam Wood

calvero

8.5/10

Basically the original inspiration teacher films, a la Dead Poets Society. This film feels like meeting one of your nice grandpas. At first you're a bit put off by how old-fashioned he is, how he just tells it straightforward and true without the engaging nuance of someone more contemporary. However, as he keeps on telling about each set of people he met and each era of events passing by him, the passage of time begins to accumulate within his speech, and before you know it you're engaged and cling on to every word. And for something pretty straightforward, that speech can make you emotional in some places, especially at the end where it just gets the better of your feelings completely. A sincere and sentimental drama that is old-fashioned in the best sense of that word.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 53
2) Unke 52
3) calvero 50
4) Jeff Wilder 47.5
5) H.I. McDonough 46
6) Syd Henderson 46
7) montparnasse 43
8) Vexer 35

JamesKunz 45
Thief12 44

next: JamesKunz - Z

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
next: JamesKunz - Z

This will be good. Anything over 6.5 would imo be very generous ;-) .

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 pm
Director

So it's down to Munich, Kunzie and Thief12 for the big prize. I can't help but think it coming down to these last 2 selections was not at all random on peng's end. :|

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:40 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
So it's down to Munich, Kunzie and Thief12 for the big prize. I can't help but think it coming down to these last 2 selections was not at all random on peng's end. :|

What is the "big prize", exactly?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next