Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread

Kind Hearts and Coronets
Robert Hamer

MunichMan

9.5/10

A comedy of contrasts. Violent subject matter (a man murdering a bunch of people so he can be a Duke) with extremely droll execution; a character's change of heart about her love; scenes of death leavened with gallow humor; and so on. These contrasts, often ironic, combine to create one comedy with a most unique touch and power. I think I laughed out loud only two or three times, but never mind that, since laughter is highly subjective anyway. This is more the kind of comedy that catches you thinking along and formulating plans with the murderer, and often leaves you grinning with morbid anticipation. It's a black comedy of pure utter class for a subject of pure utter villainous acts. Such a peerless script too, and if I didn't know beforehand, I would have been completely fooled into thinking those D'Ascoynes are played by different actors, at least until an Alec Guinness in drag shows up.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) MunichMan 35
4) Unke 34.5
5) Jeff Wilder 32
6) H.I. McDonough 30.5
7) Syd Henderson 30.5
8) montparnasse 29
9) Vexer 26

calvero 24

next: calvero - The Collector

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 pm
Critic

Whew. If you'd dropped a dime on that I would have been tied with Munichman. Close game, close game.

Great film, that, btw.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Yeah, really thought I'd get a 10 out of that one. IMHO, one of the greatest scripts ever written, and my choice for the best black comedy.

A very close race indeed! I'm thinking I have two 9s left. Don't think it's going to be enough.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 am
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
Yeah, really thought I'd get a 10 out of that one. IMHO, one of the greatest scripts ever written, and my choice for the best black comedy.

A very close race indeed! I'm thinking I have two 9s left. Don't think it's going to be enough.

I've got Z and Army of Shadows coming up. Those are my big studs. If I can't win with my 3 and 4 hitters at the plate, well, I guess it just wasn't in the cards .

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:56 am
Assistant Director

I still have an ace on my sleeve with Au Revoir les Enfants; but as much as I love Shoot to Kill, I don't expect a glowing grade for it, so it's close indeed.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
I still have an ace on my sleeve with Au Revoir les Enfants; but as much as I love Shoot to Kill, I don't expect a glowing grade for it, so it's close indeed.

Yeah you've got Louis fucking Malle in your court. But then you follow it up with Kristie Alley. So yeah, mixed bag

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 am
Director

The Collector
William Wyler

calvero

8.5/10

Freddie is a lonely young man who, after winning some money, buys an isolated country house so that he can pursue his dream. That dream: kidnapping Miranda, a girl whom he has a crush on, and keeping her in the house's stone cellar...

After realizing where the film was going, I had two primary concerns, considering the time period it was made: that it will turn into a victimization narrative of misery, or developing a misguided Stockholm syndrome scenario. Amazingly, the film is more complex and nuanced than I initially thought (perhaps because it is adapted from a book). Apart from delivering a gripping cat-and-mouse mind game, it also touches on some heady themes like class difference and male entitlement. The latter may be even more relevant today, with frequent news of misogynic behaviors and sexual violence; Freddie is what you get from having an extreme Nice Guy mindset rendered unstable. Chilling.

It helps a great deal that the director and actors are so accomplished. William Wyler is a director who wouldn't seem to be a natural match with this material, but he brings his usual sense of visual scale and control, tempering down the luridness. The only time he lets loose is when the situation boils to a climax in the rain, and it feels startling and effective, with the camera tilting and dissolving, almost as if it's a scene from a modern-day horror.

Likewise, he brings out two great performances from Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar, who both deservedly won two top acting awards from Cannes. We can see every bit of Eggar's mind racing and calculating, and Stamp is, to me personally, a more compelling portrayal than Anthony Perkins' Norman Bates. Ever the perfectionist, Wyler casted Eggar because he knew she had turned Stamp down when they both were in college. He also told Stamp to stay in character and give her the cold shoulder during filming to create tension, and also didn't let Eggar off the set during the day or eat with anyone else during lunch breaks. The method might be extreme, but the performances speak to its effectiveness.

The film as a whole feels ahead of its time, audacious in content and execution. And it goes all the way with the exploration of its themes. That ending is perfect.

End of Round 4
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) MunichMan 35
4) Unke 34.5
5) calvero 32.5
6) Jeff Wilder 32
7) H.I. McDonough 30.5
8) Syd Henderson 30.5
9) montparnasse 29
10) Vexer 26

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm
Director

^and Wyler dropped out of Sound of Music for this! amazing. your review sounds a bit higher than an 8.5 to me....

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Director

Yeah, I knew when posting that it would seem weird. :lol: I still feel it's 8.5: very, very good genre film that doesn't quite reach the greatness. But it's a film that inspires a lot of thoughts and reading, thus the longer review. Definitely one of the most interesting films of the competition.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm
Director

Semi-final y'all:

1) Contempt (montparnasse)
2) The Green Berets (Vexer)
3) Love Jones (Jeff Wilder)
4) The Caine Mutiny (MunichMan)
5) Darling (H.I. McDonough)
6) The Getaway (calvero)
7) The Big Easy (Syd Henderson)
8) Shoot to Kill (Thief12)
9) Army of Shadows (JamesKunz)
10) Fitzcarraldo (Unke)

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 am
Director

Kind Hearts is pretty damn good. Glad you liked that.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24 am
Critic

peng wrote:
Semi-final y'all:

1) Contempt (montparnasse)
2) The Green Berets (Vexer)
3) Love Jones (Jeff Wilder)
4) The Caine Mutiny (MunichMan)
5) Darling (H.I. McDonough)
6) The Getaway (calvero)
7) The Big Easy (Syd Henderson)
8) Shoot to Kill (Thief12)
9) Army of Shadows (JamesKunz)
10) Fitzcarraldo (Unke)

Some interesting stuff here. And, you know, The Green Berets.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:
Semi-final y'all:

Some interesting stuff here. And, you know, The Green Berets.

Jingo bells, jingo bells, jingo all the way!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:02 pm
Director

Contempt
Jean-Luc Godard

montparnasse

6/10

My lone reservation from the otherwise wonderful Breathless magnified: long-winded ramblings. It seems like Godard wants to go more psychological, with a Bergman-esque story of the disintegration of a marriage. But since he is a very self-aware director, the emotions necessary for our investment don't register, and from halfway point forward the film's momentum flatlines. The early-on meta discussion about filmmaking is of interest though, and even later on the performances and cinematography are always solid. It looks gorgeous, almost like a Malick film at times whenever that beautiful soundtrack kicks in. Too bad that the story, Godard's direction, and his endless philosophical musings frequently clash together.

Hottie factor: duh

Leaderboard
1) montparnasse 35

Thief12 36.5
JamesKunz 35.5
MunichMan 35
Unke 34.5
calvero 32.5
Jeff Wilder 32
H.I. McDonough 30.5
Syd Henderson 30.5
Vexer 26

next: Vexer - The Green Berets

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 pm
Director

Quote:
Contempt
Jean-Luc Godard

montparnasse

6/10

My lone reservation from the otherwise wonderful Breathless magnified: long-winded ramblings. It seems like Godard wants to go more psychological, with a Bergman-esque story of the disintegration of a marriage. But since he is a very self-aware director, the emotions necessary for our investment don't register, and from halfway point forward the film's momentum flatlines. The early-on meta discussion about filmmaking is of interest though, and even later on the performances and cinematography are always solid. It looks gorgeous, almost like a Malick film at times whenever that beautiful soundtrack kicks in. Too bad that the story, Godard's direction, and his endless philosophical musings frequently clash together.

Agreed, maybe my least favorite Godard.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:35 am
Director

The Green Berets
John Wayne, Ray Kellogg, Mervyn LeRoy

Vexer

3.5/10

Oh my. I guess when you made a film without the foresight of history, coupled with your questionable standing being as subtle as sledgehammer, this is what you would get. As a film, it is interested more in preaching, and insanely overlong at about 135 minutes for doing simply that. The action scenes are decently done, I'll give it that. However, even though I don't put too much weight on a film's politics or propaganda aspect when judging them (as long as it's well-made and recognized as such in the historical context of present discussion), I do have a problem when it's this blatant and done with patronizing tone. How do you convince a man who doesn't agree with the war? Well, let him befriend a cute little local girl before she was raped and killed by the insanely evil enemies of his country. That'll sure teach him.

Leaderboard
1) montparnasse 35
2) Vexer 29.5

Thief12 36.5
JamesKunz 35.5
MunichMan 35
Unke 34.5
calvero 32.5
Jeff Wilder 32
H.I. McDonough 30.5
Syd Henderson 30.5

next: Jeff Wilder - Love Jones

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:23 pm
Director

peng wrote:
The Green Berets
John Wayne, Ray Kellogg, Mervyn LeRoy

Vexer

3.5/10

Oh my. I guess when you made a film without the foresight of history, coupled with your questionable standing being as subtle as sledgehammer, this is what you would get. As a film, it is interested more in preaching, and insanely overlong at about 135 minutes for doing simply that. The action scenes are decently done, I'll give it that. However, even though I don't put too much weight on a film's politics or propaganda aspect when judging them (as long as it's well-made and recognized as such in the historical context of present discussion), I do have a problem when it's this blatant and done with patronizing tone. How do you convince a man who doesn't agree with the war? Well, let him befriend a cute little local girl before she was raped and killed by the insanely evil enemies of his country. That'll sure teach him.

Yeah, this is one that definitely is of its time. Ironically, it came out just as opinion was really starting to turn against the war. Ebert's review was especially scathing (he gave it 0 stars).

The action scenes are done decently and Wayne is reliable as he usually was. But at this point, I would say that if one wants to watch a film about soldiers in Vietnam that's more pro-military than Full Metal Jacket or Oliver Stone's films, We Were Soldiers is a far better choice.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:03 pm
Director

Looks like I'll finish ahead of Vexer, anyway. I was getting worried there for a moment. Peng is saving the best (Room at the Top) for last.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:56 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Contempt
Jean-Luc Godard

montparnasse

6/10

Agreed, maybe my least favorite Godard.

I've only seen Godard's '60s films, but I still find this generally preferable to "A Married Woman," "2 or 3 Things I Know About Her," "La Chinoise," "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Le Gai Savoir." :|

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 am
Director

Well, I think La Chinoise is a bit more energized than Contempt, even though it's subject matter doesn't grab me much. Contempt was his first try at the cinemascope ratio, but I think he utilized that more fully in Pierrot le Fou. Pierrot, Breathless, Vivre sa Vie, Band of Outsiders, Masculin Feminin, and Weekend seem to me to be his best work in the 60s. Contempt may not be his absolute weakest film, but it has to be his most overrated. Feels like it gets a lot of attention because of Fritz Lang, Jack Palance, and Brigitte Bardot (all of whom are good).

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next